My Tractor Forum banner

Ford 3000 Hydraulic Issue

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nouveau Redneck 
#1 ·
I need help with an issue that I think I might have introduced to my hydraulics on a Ford 3000. I had the lift cover assembly off to replace the filters because the system was real slow. I changed filters, replaced o-rings, and put the system back together. After bleeding the hydraulics, the lift was smooth and was working fine. The one thing I've noticed is that now I can manually raise and lower the control arms with the tractor turned off. I took the cover assembly back off but I don't see what would stop the piston rod from moving up and down. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
If the engine is not running theres no pressure your arms will raise by hand. As long as there not lowering when the engine is running you're ok. :thThumbsU

#3 ·
Thanks. I wasn't for sure. It just didn't seem right but when I look at the piston and piston rod, there's nothing that holds the arms down even if the engine is running. This is my first tractor and I was trying to figure out how my disk or breaking plow would stay in the ground if you can raise by hand. I guess it's the weight of the implement that keeps it in the ground.

#5 ·
When plowing or disking you should have the 3 point in draft control mode rather than position control mode. This will allow the weight of the implement to keep a constant amount of pressure on the work being done instead of keeping the implement at a specific height, so if you encounter rocks or harder soil or any other kind of increased resistance then the system will actually raise the implement up until the amount of resistnce matches what it is set for, and then after the area of increased resistance has been passed it will lower it back down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.