My Tractor Forum banner

What size plow/s do I need??

15K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ky wonder 
#1 ·
I have a Kubota M5700, and puchased a "heavyduty," 2 bottem plow from my neighbor that ended up getting bent to ****!! It seemed big and tough enough for my Kubota, but not even a quarter acre later the plows bent in opposite directions, and have become pretty much useless. Note that I was in the lowest gear and was plowing my hay pasture very cautiously as to not damage anything, especially if I were to come across a large rock, of which I didn't etc... The soil underneath was nice and soft as well! My conclusion is that my Kubota was too much for the plows, of which I have no idea what size they are, and I need to get some bigger/heavier duty ones to replace them. My question is what size do I need for my 60 horse Kubota?? I hope to maybe get some before the ground freezes, so I don't have to wait until spring. As always thanks guys!!

#2 ·
Don't know your soil type but around here a 60 hp 2wd tractor would be capable of pulling a 3x16 plow, throw on 4wd and add another bottom,, try to find a trip bottom type, plows don't bend in dirt they bend when they come in contact with an immovable object,,,, neighbor plowed with 3x16 on a 100 hp tractor, ripped the hitch pins in half, tore off entire bottoms and such, and never thought he hit anything,,,, put 5 bottoms on it,, and he soon realized where the big rocks were.

#4 ·
They come in several variations,,, trip, where the bottom meets to much resistance it "trips", to reset usually requires you to stop lift the plow set it back down and back up,,, spring reset, bottom trips and large springs reset it on the go,,, and hydraulic reset, similar to the spring reset except done with hyd pressure. What are the farmers in your area using as far as hp per bottom? Like I said previously in my area we go by 18" bottoms 25 hp per bottom, 16" bottoms 20 hp per bottom, 14" bottom 15 hp per bottom, we usually add 1 bottom for 4wd. I had a MF 254 a 45 hp 4wd tractor and I was pulling 4x14 with it,,, worked great in all conditions, although old sod was pretty hard pulling with that size plow,,, 3 bottoms would be a good choice and you would stay 3 pt hitch mount, as going 4 would probably require semi mount due to the weight of the plow and the lifting ability of the tractor.

#5 ·
I guess I would have to do some research, since the locals don't plow very often in my area. That and the terrain varies quite a bit as well! Lots of rock in my valley. I can see where something like a springtripped plow would work well in my situation cuz of the hidden rocks I might encounter etc.... But not sure of the size or how many plows etc... I also wanna stay 3 point hitch mount since I don't wanna stray from that. Thanks a lot for the help!! now to go find one!

#6 ·
you can probably find a old 3 bottom trail type plow that you can pick up cheaper than a three point type, these old plows work fine and are easier to hook up because they pull from the drawbar, they come in wheel lift and hyd lift and they worked well 50 years ago behind the older tractors, and are still capable of doing the job, i use a old set of jd 555's 3/14's behind a 1355oliver and i like the way they plow, the only advantage i have seen to the 3 point type is if you are plowing in tight places, you can back them into posistion easier, the old trail type plows where pulled here in ky by old g/70 john deere's and the farmall m's which were rated in the high 30's low 40's in the horsepower ratings but that was when horsepower was rated at the drawbar todays tractors are enjine rated and you will have a good deal less power at the drawbar than advertised enjine horsepower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.