My Tractor Forum banner

2404 with 2000 loader

13K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  George Picha 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! Well I just brought home my grandfather's 2404. He has owned it since the early 70's. He bought it from the construction crew that actually built the High School in Hempstead, TX in 1972. It's the high school that I graduated from in 1992. He purchased it to be used on his property in Franklin, TX. Where it served a hard well used life. It hasn't been used in about the last 8 or 9 years though, since he bought another tractor.

Now I'm the proud owner for a price tag of $600. I would like to find a good service/parts manual and restore it to a good working state.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the link Bubba.

OK I have removed fuel tank and cleaned it out, removed and cleaned fuel separator, changed plugs and wires, replaced battery cables and bought new battery. I also filled loader reservoir, and transmission with hydraulic fluid. I got it to crank and I have problem with the number one cylinder on the exhaust valve. When i have plug installed and plug on it is trying to fire back through the carburetor, with plug wire disconnected it still pops back. So just for test purposes i removed plug and fired it up. Motor is running smoother even though only on three cylinders. The front PTO pump is leaking, and the rear axle seal is leaking on the left side. When trying to move tractor it barely wants to move and the power steering and three point hook up doesn't want to work.

So it seems I may have a longer uphill battle than I had planned on with this project.:banghead3

Any suggestions are welcome.

#4 ·
Well here is a picture of it in my shop.

After removing the valve cover I realized that it's a miracle this thing even cranks. Also I thought it was running on three cylinders, when actually it is only running on one. The #2 cylinder was the only one that the pushrods were still in place. Also the amount of rust I found has me wondering if my oil pump is still functioning.

I'm gonna vacuum the rust out and clean the rocker assembly, straighten push rods and reset them. Then see if how it runs. I'm thinking if I remove oil filter and crank for just a few seconds to see if oil pump is working, before removing oil pan for further inspection.

Does anyone know the actual oil path for these engines?

I'm assuming that after oil pump picks up oil it goes through filter, crank, then cam and lifters, then up to valvetrain, then gravity feed back to oil pan.

#5 ·
Not sure about the oil path but WOW, that thing actually ran?! If I were you after I removed the rocker shaft assembly I would drain the oil and then fill the crankcase with diesel and let it sit for a few days. also, I would put the rocker shaft assembly and push-rods in a pan and soak them in diesel as well. Te oil pumps on those old IH's almost never fail, but it almost looks like that thing was underwater at one point.

Joe

#7 ·
Well after further clean up what I thought was rust, I believe was or is paraffin from probably running the cheapest oil or whatever was available. After several days of soaking the valve train and lightly tapping on springs and lifters, and straightening push rods, I have this thing running on all 4 cylinders believe it or not.

Still having a problem with the shuttle shift switching from forward to reverse. Also having problem with main hydraulics not working.

#10 ·
Thanks DJ54.

Yes it does have the front pump run off of the crank pulley via pto shaft which is an independent unit for the front loader.

I'm trying to troubleshoot the main hydraulics for the thrid point and power steering.

I need to go ahead and order a shop manual that buba give me a link to earlier, but just being the oh i can probably figure it out idiot. :banghead3 :bonk:

#14 ·
I have a IH 2404 with 2000 loader. I already had 12 tractors but they were farm tractors. A friend had purchased this one from his neighbor who retired as owner of a small construction company. He got tired of battling it and offered it to me. I didn’t think much of this tractor but after I started repairs and fixes I discovered this was the handiest tractor I ever owned. tough, built well, it required a lot of attention but I still loved it. List of problems: Cessna pump on loader leaked. Parts impossible to find, motor was missing, different cylinders at different times, governor was not working, steering cylinder leaking, steering pump leaking, radiator had a leak, carburetor leaked, fuel bowl leaked, bucket was rusted out because cement was not washed out properly or at all, 2 cylinders had to be overhauled. Now the boom lift valve is not working correctly.
All that and I still think this was the best engineered tractor I’ve ever had. Perfectly balanced, powerful, great loader. Only wish it had a hydro trans. If I ever come across another I will buy it even a junker for parts. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.