My Tractor Forum banner

2011 X300 uneven idle

14K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  stladrill 
#1 ·
My 2011 X300 is an 18 hp Kaw. it now has 28 hrs. At 25 hrs, It started 'surging' when idling. By surging I mean the RPM`s oscillate. As you increase the throttle, the oscillation grdually decreases and dissappears completely at full throttle.

If I slowly slide the choke up to app. 75% , the oscillation dissappears, even at idle. Is this a carb adjustment issue?

I have been using fresh 87 octane fuel. Filters appear fine.

Any input is much appreciated.

Mike

#3 ·
This is awful new to have a carb problem. Maybe some trash got past the filter. I am not familiar with this engine and do not have access to my service manuals at this time to offer better advice concerning the carburetor. Some carbs can be cleared with aerosol carb cleaner I am not familiar with your carb.

#5 ·
Might want to give your dealer a call, even if you get the carb fixed yourself. I've heard here that Deere is doing a sort of recall type thing involving the engines on the 2011 X300s... May not be related to your problem, but do check it out.

#6 ·
Wizzo- I did call my dealership about this yesterday afternoon. I had asked if there was any way to fix the issue myself before I brought it up to them. However I did not find out until after the phone call about the choke increase smoothing out the idle. They said to check the usual generic things- Fuel filter, air filter, plugs, etc. Also, they recommended not using 87 octane fuel. 89 or better. Does everyone use higher octane?

Anyways, I`ll try the seafoam and go from there. Thanks for your input.

#8 ·
Apparently, my mind was not too clear last night. I was not thinking about this being in warranty therefore I suggest you do not open the carburetor. Let the dealer correct the problem. From the specs on your tractor, I see it has a FH491V engine, which I do not have the manual. I suspect this engine came out after 2000, my last year as a dealer. I have never seen a Kawasaki surge caused by anything other than a fuel passage restriction in the carburetor or an air leak. I am not saying this is the case with your engine since it may have emission modifications I am not familiar with. Many newer engines are sensitive to type fuel used and other factors because of things they have done to carburetors to meet or exceed emission requirements. Tecumseh had engines with emission modifications that resulted in less than satisfactory engine performance and they did nothing to improve it, I cannot imagine Kawasaki doing this.

Having to engage the choke for the engine to run smoothly IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and in fact negates any emission features. When the choke is engaged more fuel is being burned.

Looking through my pre year 2000 Kawasaki manuals they recommend 87 octane fuel or higher.

An engine that hunts and surges at true idle is caused by an improper air/fuel mixture related to an air leak or an obstruction in the pilot (idle) circuit.

Note: Kawasaki refers to idle system as pilot system.

Sea Foam is not a miracle solvent but it is a good fuel stabilizer and will clear up some problems.

Mike -
In my early years, I was a reciprocating engine and jet engine mechanic. In 71, I retrained to Structural Repair (Tin bender/sheet metal).

F-4’s sucked, worst aircraft I ever worked on.

RF-4C and F-4D Zweibrücken A.B. 72 - 76,
F-4D Kunsan A.B. 78 - 79
F-4D/E Taegu ROKAF, adviser 79 - 80

#9 ·
Stan- Believe me, I have no intention of running the choke 75% on while running the motor. I was trying a few simple things to see what would happen. This was one of them. And yes, it does point to less than ideal fuel/air mixture. As far as opening up the carb, you are absolutely correct. Not while the warranty in place. Stadrill- I didn`t know the newer motors were "eco-friendly". Gee- the X300 is already GREEN. (sorry. a lame pun but it was irrestable.)

Mike -
In my early years, I was a reciprocating engine and jet engine mechanic. In 71, I retrained to Structural Repair (Tin bender/sheet metal).

F-4’s sucked, worst aircraft I ever worked on.

RF-4C and F-4D Zweibrücken A.B. 72 - 76,
F-4D Kunsan A.B. 78 - 79
F-4D/E Taegu ROKAF, adviser 79 - 80[/QUOTE]

Stan- I couldn`t agree more. Everything I worked on was old worn out used up Vietnam equipment. Just when I reassigned from Holloman to Kadena they had started getting F-15`s. So new, so nice, so clean.

Kunsan- 8thTFW The Wolfpack. I TDY`d there from Kadena for three weeks in March of 78 for the joint USAF/ROKAF Team Spirit(?). My, what a smelly, grungy little town that was just outside the base. I could tell some stories, buy those are better left offline. :)

#15 ·
I have limited knowledge of JD tractors especially tractor and engine configuration. When I looked up the X300, what I found was one with the FH491V. After going to the JD site, I see the X300 may use one of several engines and the FS541V is not listed, see attachment. Must be JD proprietary information.:00000061:

I looked at the online X300 owner’s manual and see is JD recommends 87-octane gasoline. They also show a vented fuel system.

When I was in the OPE business I was not a JD dealer and learned very quickly to avoid them. They are an excellent product but JD went to great lengths to protect their business. As JD owners surely know they use others parts and assign their part number. How about that electric PTO with JD part number JD sells for $120 that turns out to be a $60 Noram clutch. Need technical data cough up the $$$$.

I found the service manual for the FS541, link below, and see it uses a basic carburetor, nothing special and no high tech emission system.

Service manual:
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kaw...anuals/FS600V_FS541V_FS481V_99924-2094-01.pdf

Attachments

#11 ·
My 2011 X300 is an 18 hp Kaw. it now has 28 hrs. At 25 hrs, It started 'surging' when idling. By surging I mean the RPM`s oscillate. As you increase the throttle, the oscillation grdually decreases and dissappears completely at full throttle.

If I slowly slide the choke up to app. 75% , the oscillation dissappears, even at idle. Is this a carb adjustment issue?

Mike

Gee another Mike with surging problems........hmmmm...... Image that

#14 ·
Nothing posted on their site about it in the "recalls" section, but that is under "Product Safety"... That being said, when I decided to upgrade back in February/March, I looked at the 2011's and my dealer said they were having some come back with issues with the fuel system, something about the return line or something like that. The only difference between the 2011 and the 2010 that really made any difference to me was the easy deck leveling thing, but since you don't have to level a deck very often, I opted for a 2010 and very glad I did...

I was at the dealer a month or so ago and was talking with the salesman, tech, and another customer about fuels, and the tech said all the engines should run on 87 octane, and that running anything higher won't hurt it, but won't help it much either. That being said, the 2011's have much tighter emissions controls and a pressurized fuel system, like a car. I don't know too much about it since I don't own one, but I guess unused fuel is returned to the tank to help keep emissions down. This means there is TWO fuel lines, one to feed the fuel to the engine, and a second to return it to the tank.... more line == more places for trouble if you ask me.....

#18 ·
Thanks, guys. Your input and efforts are much appreciated. It may well be taken to the dealership if it doesn`t clear up during the next mowing. It`s under warranty, so I`ll let them look into it.

Stladrill- I`ll be trying out your transaxle service sometime this fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.