My Tractor Forum banner

Towing and Pulling Capacities Cub Cadets

27K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DMAC 
#1 ·
If anybody would be interested, I found the following on a Cub Cadet Website........I thought I had seen this question posted here , if not....... disregard.......
that is all....lol

Cub Cadet Home

Cub Cadet Home

Buy Parts Online

Owner's Manuals

Service Locator

Find A Dealer

Product Registration
Answers

Ask a Question

My Stuff

show accessible links
Login

Help

Search by Product View Product Hierarchy

Search by Category View Category Hierarchy

Search by Keyword Search Tips

Powered by RightNow Technologies

ID
Release Date
05/31/2006

Printer Friendly Version of This Answer Print Answer

Email This Answer Email Answer
How much weight can my Cub Cadet tractor tow?
Question
What is the towing capacity of my Cub Cadet tractor?
Answer

This is a more complicated issue than it might appear, because "towing capacity" is more of a sales specification than a technical specification. If you picture yourself pushing a wheelbarrow full of dirt, weighing about 300 pounds, you would say that your pushing capacity was 300 lbs, but I doubt you would be able to push 300 pounds if it were on a flat sled with no wheels on rough ground. That is a simple analogy explaining why we don't use towing capacity as a technical specification.

Everyone likes to relate axle torque to draw bar force, but draw bar force cannot so easily be related to "towing capacity" due to all the variables involved. There is also a difference between a maximum axle torque (or draw bar force) short duration spike compared with what can be sustained over a long distance such as in towing. On most surfaces, unless you significantly weight down the tractor, you will generate tire slippage before you reach the transmission's ability to create maximum axle torque.

The 1000 Series & LT1500 Series can handle a typical lawn cart with a 750 lb. capacity and a lawn roller of 650 lbs.

The iSeries can handle a lawn cart with a 1500 lb. capacity and a lawn roller of 950 lbs.

The GT1500 Series can handle a lawn cart with a 1500 lb. capacity and a lawn roller of 950 lbs.

The 2500 and 3000 Series can handle a lawn cart with a 1500 lb. capacity and a lawn roller of 950 lbs.

CAUTION: You should also be cautious of "braking ability". These tractors have a single disc brake designed to stop the weight of the tractor on slight grades. When you are towing downhill your braking distance will significantly increase. As a general rule of thumb, using a single-axle wheeled trailer you should be able to pull half the weight of the tractor safely over level ground and slopes less than 5 degrees.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ray,

Thanks, that's actually interesting info, and a good reference. Keep in mind that those numbers will drop dramatically when pulling on an incline.

And let me extend a "Welcome to MTF" if I didn't already do that!

#3 ·
At first I read the response and went.........BS BS BS BS and then they actually stated numbers. Those are some pretty high numbers when it comes down to it. 1500 lbs for my tractor?? I doubt I'll ever do that to it but I guess it's nice to have a number. Fortunately I live in flat land country.
Now just how much does that boat weigh..................

#4 ·
Your boat will weigh in at 1501 lbs with fuel and all the accessories so it looks like your out of luck:sidelaugh no tow for you. :sidelaugh slkpk

#9 ·
Little story about pulling power with our 3204...It pulled my truck up a 200' drive way, 10' rise in the 200 feet, when the fuel pump quit on RT66 as I was pulling into my parents driveway, "the farm". Although it could have died on RT66.:Disgus:
Now to fix the problem I needed to get my truck up the driveway into the barn so I could work on it and not block the driveway. We hooked up the 3204 to the truck, and amazingly it pulled it up the slope, the truck weighs 8000lbs and of course the tank was 7/8 full :banghead3 . We drove the tractor into the barn as far as it would go, which put the truck at the edge of the barn. We then drove the tractor out of the barn, and rehooked up the chain to finish pulling the truck into the barn, then the fun started. Here is the truck that was pulled. That's Snap200's 1855a snapper in the front of it with the Troy-Built Tiller loaded up to go and till his gardens. A good friend borrows your stuff keeping it alive and running, and returns it perfect. :congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.