My Tractor Forum banner

Moto mower...Sears look-a-like.

18K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  skyrydr2 
#1 ·
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-garden-LAWN-TRACTOR-W0QQAdIdZ159981122

was looking at this and thought it looked very similar to a sears custom 10XL. minus the fenders. i looked closer and it has what appears to be an aluminum deck. price is pretty stupid though. just thought i ask for some opinions, at this point im in no postition to go get it, its a pretty long drive for me. maybe some one would be interested.

See less See more
#2 ·
Gee,thats TWO I have heard of now!--"Tractorkid" here has a Moto-Mower one too,that needs a engine..(wonder if he decided to sell it??)..I never knew Moto-Mower made one so similar to Sears,or perhaps made them FOR Sears??..I always thought Roper was who made all the Customs,Compact's and Suburbans,but I guess anything's possible with Sears??..

#4 ·
From what I have been able to discover about Moto-mower (in Ingersoll, Ontario), they made tractors for Sears and Roper both, as well as tractors with their own name. Simpsons Sears in Canada sold the Moto-mower line. Dura Corp in Indiana made Roper and Sears tractors for the US market.

If you look at the attachments from the late 60's and early 70's, the Ropers, Sears and Moto-mower were identical. The only differences in the tractors themselves appear to be the running boards and fenders - square in Canada and round in the US. Here is my (I believe 1969) Moto-mower 716M. It was originally purchased new from Simpsons Sears in Quebec. It is now powered by a Honda GX390 13 hp.

Tom

Attachments

#6 ·
nice to learn that. ive always thought that roper made tractors for sears

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not sure that info is right. I don't know what was done in Canada but I never heard of the Dura Corp in Indiana when in comes to Roper.

This is story I've heard.

David Bradley sold to Sears in 1910.
Sears sold it to Newark Corp, there own holding company in about 1961
Newark sold it to Roper in 1963 Roper sold to American Yard Products sometime in the mid 70's early 80's

Here is some more info, dates a little different but close to the same.

http://www.davidbradley.net/FAQ.htm

http://www.davidbradley.net/Bradley_Plant.htm

http://www.davidbradley.net/History.htm#anchor125151

#9 ·
I have seen the ropers with flat fenders down here in the US. The moto-mowers I have seen are totally different. Yes they were related to duracorp. They made the old yellow Massey Ferguson exectutive series as well as some of the older porter cable garden tractors, none of which beared any resemblence to the Sears/Roper line.

#12 ·
Maybe roper did make it in conjunction with moto mower....If david bradley sold to roper in the 63ish era(according to small frys info) MAYBE just maybe moto mower funded the custom line of sears tractors(moto mower funded the project for roper and later sears bought them)...Just my guess, cause 65 was the first year for the "Roper" suburbans and customs...so maybe the moto mower/roper dates shortly before that!!! ive seen the Roper tractors with them square fenders...Ive got an RT16T(same as SS16 sears just had small differences)...ive seen the roper "customs" have them fenders, BUT they had running boards like the sears custom....So was Moto mower the canadian version, and what did sears call their canadian machines? I talked to a guy in like finland that had what resembled a 10XL sears but it was named different(dont know what it was anymore) but it had the roper styled fenders....so it might have been a moto mower i dont remember....

#14 · (Edited)
Here is another version of the Roper-Motomower, It has both roper and motomower ID tags. it is branded Co-op implements 18 ,it has a 18 hp onan engine with pressurized lubrication,not sure of the year ,I just picked it up.

Attachments

#16 ·
Here's a shot of my Moto-Mower I have no idea what model it is , or year, but it does run very well, (rebuilt Kohler 8hp)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.