My Tractor Forum banner

Snow plow wear bar

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Burntime 
#1 ·
What are you using to replace wear bar on your snow plow? Thank You Stan

#4 ·
There is a local metal dealer here, he sells stuff like iron bars, plates, square tubing. Does little iron projects for people, welding and such. I just get a flat piece from him thats about 1/4 inch thick and take it home and place it on top of my old blade and mark holes, drill them out. Then I take my little 4 inch hand grinder and put a edge on it. I don't make it perfect because I know the cement will do most of that as I'm moving snow.

#5 ·
I just cut a 4" x 48" for my 46" plow about a month ago. I just let it run 1" past each side. No need to wory about the finish edge, Plowing will clean/angle it up very fast. I just drilled the holes about .040"+- under the diagonal meas. of the stove bolts' square. It doesn't have to be a square hole. It'll pull right through. I drilled at the center of the 4", so I can flip when the 1st side wears down.
Joe

#6 ·
I just bought new ones at the dealer for $40 each. Got one for each of my two 42" blades. The originals couldn't be flipped but the news ones can. I didn't have the time to make my own. I believe the factory ones are a hardened steel and last longer than regular mild steel bar.

#7 ·
Acmowerguy, I think you are right. But for 6 bucks instead of 42 I made my own in 5 minutes. I only use mine in dirt and rarely on the driveway so it lasts and lasts. No idea how it would do on concrete. My buddy is a county worker and he has offered some of the stuff they take off when it wears too far. Its just so friggin heavy that I have not taken him up on it. Its something like 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch thick! I don't want to lug that much around the garage until I need it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.