My Tractor Forum banner

Fertilizer Spreader Advice

16K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  c5rulz 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a broadcast push type fertilizer spreader and needing advice on which one to purchase. I've looked at the Scotts branded spreaders, but I'm concerned about the quality. I'm leaning towards a Yardworks branded spreader sold at Menards. Any advice on a good quality spreader that will last would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I looked at the Scotts models mainly for their ease of use since the application rates are listed on the Scotts fertilizer bags for each of their spreaders. I agree with not wanting to have to keep the tires aired up on the Scotts Pro model. Although the plastic wheels on many models seem to be cheaply made. The Earthway model does look like a good contender. I believe Earthway includes application rates based on the weight of the fertilizer bag being used.

#4 ·
the biggest things to watch out for are keep them clean after use, and only use loose dry fertilizer. wet/damp fertilizer tends to stick together and prematurely strips out the gear from the added stress. plus it quickens the process of the fert eating the shaft, which not cleaning it after use also speeds along. my walk behind is just an el cheapo 30.00 special from lowes that i have had about 8 years now, the gear is starting to fail but i figure i more than got my money's worth out of it.

#5 ·
ditto what davidg says.
I haven't bought (paid out big money) for a spreader, yet. I've had the metal Scotts push spreader and can't keep them clean, thus they rust up or rust out quickly. Take them apart before junking them, youget 2 nice heavy duty wheels and some bolts and nuts.
The latest spreader is a little green plastic Scott pusher that I got at a yard sale, for $2. Delivery setting is right on if you use Scott product. Other named products is guess work. I've had it for 3 years and don't baby it. The neighbor uses it too. Emptys out, light to pick up, legs fold for hanging on the wall. It could be adapted easily to tow behind a tractor.
Not too many different manufacturers out this way, basically only Scotts for implements.

#6 ·
After going through many spreaders my BIL who has a landscape business steered me to this commercial Lesco spreader:

I don't remember what I paid or if my BIL got me a discount, but the Lesco unit is still chugging along and I expect it will be for a long time to come. :)

#8 ·
I've got a frontier 1023B 3 point. Works great.

#11 ·
Here is one identical to mine in the 5th post.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=171583

There are others out there that are a little cheaper and probably better. I got mine from the dealer for $500 since it sat outside a couple years.

If I could sell mine, I would get a better one I have been looking at that is bigger but has actual scoops to propel and two dump chutes rather than one which creates a bias to one side.

#10 ·
I have a Lesco stainless frame and inners. It was in the neighborhood of $300, the one you see on most commercial trucks...I rinse it out after every use and leave it open to dry, it's 3 years old and still works like new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.