My Tractor Forum banner

Racing tractor

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  johnboggs21 
#1 ·
Im remaking the machine in my avatar into a racer/mudding machine and have been debating on whether or not to weld the spyder gears in the rearend. Ive had it sunk up to the axle in the mud before and i know the one wheel peal is no good in mud. Mostly im worried about how my steering will be affected. Im sure that the turfs on the rear will slip enough to allow turning especially on a slick surface. Im sure ill have to either add some weight to the front or some different tires. So what do you guys think? Should I weld em up or not?

#3 ·
Before you do anything...you might want to see what mods are allowed...;)
It must remain suitable for lawn cutting, apart from the modifications permitted in the Handbook.
You can download it from here->>> http://uslmra.org/rules-tech/offical-rules/

#8 ·
My experiences with a "live" axle on tractors and go carts I either welded pr pinned the rims or differentials on ,to get "posi" made them un-stoppable off road,but also non-steerable ,the front wheels just skid and scrub,instead of the tractor turning.."severe understeer" !!..you'll ploew straight ahead and not turn..

I would not reccomend it,but instead would suggest rigging up some type of individual rear brakes ,so when one wheel spins you can apply the brake on that one only,then the other wheel will become the "drive" wheel--plus you can use the brakes to advantage in cornering too..Chains give great traction in mud,and you CAN mow with chains on,so maybe you could use them too??..

#14 ·
I plan on running chains for sure. As for individual brakes i like that idea. The problem im having is that I aint got enough legs to run everything. At this point is trying to think up a way to set the brakes up so that i can use them the same time as the other pedals. Im starting to think that i may just have to have 2 handles for the brakes so that i can use them. Guess I better practice steering while going fast with one hand.lol

#9 ·
Get a transaxle off of a garden tractor that has the pedal activated differential lock, or try to rig your own.

#10 ·
I like Tractor-Holics individual brake idea, that would be the best idea on the cheap, Tractor pull tractors have that kind of braking on them since the front wheels come off the ground, and thats how they steer it and they drive in mud just fine. With independent rear brakes you be unstopable in mud, and have the best cornering ability on the track!!

#11 ·
but john, still if your gonna only have a 4 horse on there, i seriously think this wont go to well. Sorry but its just My 2 cents. your just wont have much torque

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.