My Tractor Forum banner

Mower deck removal on a JD 425...

29K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  deereseason 
#1 ·
Can someone please give me a step-by-step set of instructions on how to remove a 60" mower deck from a '92 JD 425? I need to take the deck off in order to move the tractor back to VA and have never had it off. Thanks.

#2 ·
Start engine and raise the mower deck all of the way up.
Dial deck knob to lowest setting.
Turn your gauge wheels to the side.
Turn steering wheels a 1/4 of turn to the left.
Lower your deck all of the way down.
Pull your j pins and raise the arms up and lock the arms in place with the deck knob.
Slide the collar back off of the PTO shaft and lay across the top of deck.
Pull and swivel the front coupler and remove from deck and tractor frame.
slide deck out from right side of tractor. Thats how my 1997 worked.
The end. slkpk

#16 ·
:ditto: yeah, what he said, also the 60" is a pain getting it out from under the tractor b/c it's so large. Not sure if the slightly smaller tires on a 425 will make the job easier or more difficult, but good luck anyway.

#3 ·
Thank you for the info slkpk. :thanku: I have a technical manual but haven't found any mower deck removal/installation instructions. I wish JD would put this info in the operators manual. I do have a copy of that and printed it out.

#4 ·
Turn your steering wheel fully to the left and remove the mower from the right hand side. Pull the pins on your gauge wheels so the deck sits as close to the concrete as possible. Make sure your tires are fully inflated also. The AWS models have less ground clearance so the gear box will catch on the mower lift arms. Though it's not neccesary if you have a floor jack handy you might lift the back end a little to make the job less frustrating since you haven't done it before.

#7 ·
All right, the newb is resurrecting a super old thread. Better than starting a new one, right?

I got my deck off my 425 to install a 3 point hitch. All of that went really well, except for one step.

How, exactly, do I secure the lift arms in the fully upward position? I know I'll need to disconnect them from the hydraulic system, otherwise they continue to raise and lower along with the hitch, exposing themselves to damage. I can see the attachment on each arm that connects it to the hydraulic system, but how do I then secure the arms in the upward position? The deck knob mentioned above doesn't seem to have much effect on anything.

#8 ·
You should not need to disconnect anything. There is a threaded rod on the left side of the hitch as you are looking at it from behind, raise the hitch & turn this rod until the hitch stays all the way up. This rod is to control the depth of the hitch. The 3PH is controlled with the same cylinder as the deck.
Maybe someone else will post a picture of it.

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry I misunderstood.
I used to have a 455 & I thought it showed somewhere in the owners manual that there was a way to lock those up but I am not sure. You may be able to download a manual online if you don't have one.
Did your depth control for the mower deck work before with the deck on? I remember having trouble with mine once on the 455 but I just turned it up & down a few times & it seemed to take hold.

#13 ·
Since I started this thread, I might as well chime in. In order to secure the mower draft arms up out of the way, set your height control all the way up and lift the arms up all the way with the deck lift control lever (as others have said). Then if you look under the tractor, about in the middle of the draft arms, there should be "J" pins in the frame that fit into a nearby hole on the draft arms. Insert the pin in each hole of the draft arm, and that will hold them up out of the way.

I do this every spring when I attach my 42" hydraulic tiller in order to keep the draft arms out of the way.

:thThumbsU

#15 ·
I'll try to attach a photo of what I see when I look at the draft arms.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure where the j-pins would be (I assume they would look similar to the ones you pull the remove the deck itself?).

Also, what about the actuators that are still attached to the hydraulics? Do they just sort of rotate freely?

#17 ·
Problem solved.

The needle that shows whether the deck is high or low is apparently busted on my tractor, so I assumed it wasn't doing anything to the deck or arms.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions...

The deck knob works fine, so when I actually got underneath and watched, it was able to raise the arms all the way up even with the system lowered.

Thanks for your help, folks! A springtime of landscaping now awaits us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.