My Tractor Forum banner

grey bug on brussel sprouts

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lt230s 
#1 ·
My garden is really taking off. I'm trying to use organic soil and stay away from chemicals. Today I noticed lots of little grey bugs on the inside leaves of my brussel sprout plants. What are the bugs? How can I keep them off the plants?

#3 ·

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I'll try and get a pic...but the cabbage bug would make sense; they're really small and tons of them. The good thing is I have seen a few lady bugs in the garden. Hopefully the lady bugs will start eating!
Thanks for the hot pepper wax idea.

Here's the pic, I couldn't get close enough and still have a clear pic...but the grey dust looking stuff in the center is the mass of bugs. They look like the cabbage bug in the above pic. I sprinkled some chipoltle powder, ground smoked halepeno on them till I can get something else. Hopefully it won't hurt the plant.

Attachments

#5 ·
Perahps Safer Insecticidal Soap would also be a fast topical treatment. You would have to do it a few times. I did the aphids, nemitodes etc as well.

#6 ·
Try pulverized lime. Take some cheese cloth or coffee can & punch holes with a nail & shake over the plant. Don't need a lot. It worked for potato bugs, aphids, even gypsy moths and Japanese beetles on rose bushes. It washes off with the next rain and doesn't harm anything. Depending on how big an infestation you have, you may need multiple applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.