My Tractor Forum banner

Steering adjustment in my 316

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GR8racingfool 
#1 ·
Hello Folks, While I have the motor on the bench (Telescopic Cylinder gauges have been ordered) I was wondering if there is a procedure to tighten up the steering gearbox on my 316 ???? It has a little slop in the wheel,nothing major ,but it could use some adjusting! Thanks ,Jim:trink39:

#2 ·
If the set up is similar to the steering box on a truck, you want to make 1/8 to 1/4 inch adjustments until the play is gone. The only tractor I that I had to adjust was the JD 100 that I restored. It threaded in from the bottom of the shaft. I used this method to tighten it up.

#3 ·
I meant to say 1/8 to 1/4 turn adjustments on the jam screw.

#4 ·
I played with mine on my 300. I had to remove a cotter pin from the bottom, and then turn the entire bottom plug/piece a little bit, then line the splines back up, and reinstall the pin. It helped some, not much.

So, read the manual, and it said there were adjustments on the sides of the steering column. Removed the battery, the battery tray, and played with that some, better, but not perfect.

I have slop where you can turn the wheel left or right, before it even moves the front wheels. But all the adjustment I did, made the steering firmer, but easier. The slop is what drives me kinda nuts. But I cant get it any better, unless I am doing everything wrong, or there are some severely worn parts inside the gear box that need to be replaced.

~F~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.