What is it?? Info on old Wisconson needed [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: What is it?? Info on old Wisconson needed

Ingersoll444
10-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Any idea what this engine is?? HP? What it was from???? Thanks for any help!!!

Bolens 1000
10-18-2009, 09:35 PM
The engine is definiately a Wisconsin....... 6hp
the tractor looks like a Bolens ride a matic, may have more info in a little bit.....

Bolens 1000
10-18-2009, 09:41 PM
If by any chance you have the model # of the tractor in the pic, I can give you the year made. its the in 50's though

bstrucker
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM
There is a website,the unofficial Wisconsin website,that claims BKN Wisconsin engines were only built in 1955,if that is correct,they must have built a bunch of them.Also according to that website the BKN is rated at 7hp.

Ingersoll444
10-19-2009, 05:56 AM
The engine is definiately a Wisconsin....... 6hp
the tractor looks like a Bolens ride a matic, may have more info in a little bit.....

The tractor is a Bready. I just picked it up, and it has thisin it instead of the Briggs it had when new.

Engine is stuck. Dont know if its blown or not yet.

Bolens 1000
10-19-2009, 06:32 AM
There is a website,the unofficial Wisconsin website,that claims BKN Wisconsin engines were only built in 1955,if that is correct,they must have built a bunch of them.Also according to that website the BKN is rated at 7hp.

The Bolens service school manual shows BKN engine's being used from 1948-1958 all 6 HP except for 1958 when the BKN engine used was 7HP.
These engines were also used in the Bolens front tine tillers.

Ingersoll444
10-19-2009, 06:45 AM
OK. Is it a good engine? Parts out there for them? Manual???

Bolens 1000
10-19-2009, 06:48 AM

Wisconsin engine's have always been a very good engine. Not shure about parts though, these engine's are getting scarce......dont have a manual either
:sorry1:

Ken in NJ
10-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Paul .. do a google search on Wisconsin BKN .. I looked last night and a few places came up with manuals .. hopefully someone here has one and can make u a copy ..

I have a few Wisconsin's, but nothing that old ... There is a place in Florida and a guy in Pa who sell lots of old Wisconsin stuff .. Both are listed in the bolens section under parts suppliers :goodl:

If you cant find em ..let me know

Ingersoll444
10-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Cool. I will check it out.

Thanks

Tractor-Holic
10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I see lots of them here at small engine shows/swap meets..AKN,'s,BKN's,and S&-d's,etc..even a few of the "Monster" 16 HP ones that look like yours after taking steriods,they are 2-1/2' tall!..

Wisconsins are a heavy duty engine,and are now getting harder to come by,but this year I've seen more than ever before,and they were selling for 100 bucks and less,unusual for them..I even saw one four cylinder one sell for 225 bucks recently that ran nice..

I bet yours will free up after a good soaking..probably rust in the bore,maybe it got left outside in the rain with no spark plug too long at one time..sometimes just condensation will lock one up too...I think some had a rod bearing like a car engine thats replaceable too..and a piston style oil pump in the sump..their magnetos will knock your socks off,so be careful if you spin it over if it frees up!..it has a spring that clacks loudly and it'll give you one **** of a belt it your touching the plug wire!..

Ingersoll444
10-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Ya, I had a old 16hp one on a log splitter my stepdad made ages ago. It was a HUGE monster!!! Fun to start for a kid in his early teens also!!!!!

This one had a plug in it. It broke when I was removing it, so I have to pull the head anyways. For now, i have the bore soaking.

bstrucker
10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I have parts manuals,they're available from the Wisconsin website for free but I don't have a repair manual for a BKN.I have repair manuals for older AB,ABN and such and those engines are all very similar.I can send you that manual if you want.I've also noticed a lot of older Wisconsin engines at swap meets and auctions in the past year.I have 2 BKN engines that I really don't need,I'd part the one out if there is something that you do need.I'd pull the head off of yours and see how bad the bore looks,there is a possibility,like Tractor-Holic says,that all that is wrong with yours is the rings are rusted fast to the cylinder,in a case like that,some penetrating oil will usually break them free.One other thing that I've found is that the exhaust valves rust fast in the guide,usually the engine will turn over part way over and stop.If you get it to do that,don't try to force it to turn over,I had one engine that someone did that to and they broke the camshaft in half.

Ingersoll444
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Cool. I will keep that in mind.

Tractor-Holic
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
One trick I used to "unstick" a few engines that were seized up,was to remove the head,fill it with liquid wrench or similar penetrant,and set it next to my wood stove,and let it soak up the heat for several hours..after awhile it'll get almost too hot to hold onto for long,and they broke free easily..

A few guys I know drop the whole engine and submerge it in a barrel of kerosene or diesel and let it soak for weeks before attempting to free it up..
I put a few in the hot tank at the auto parts store too,that seemed to work well..

The warning about the stuck valve is good advice,I have snapped a cam on two on a rare engine by being too hasty about getting them freed up ,I thought if I rocked it back and forth the valve might break free,instead the cam broke!..:( I found one to replace it luckily..

One guy I know tried the grease gun trick to "unseize" a stuck 6S Briggs on an old walk behind tractor--he kept pumping and pumping until he could barely push the handle down...then heard a loud "WHACK"!!..it still wouldn't turn over,so he took the head bolts off..and it came off in two peices!..after wiping off a ton of grease,he saw the top of the piston was caved in like someone bashed it with a ball pein hammer,and it was cracked at the wrist pin..I dont know if the rod was bent,he ended up tossing it in the scrap pile at that point!..lucky for him I had two of those engines in my shed looking for a new home!..

Ingersoll444
10-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Well I added a little heat to it last night, and gave it another good soaking. I am not sure when I will get to pull the head. It gets dark REAL early these days, and I have like 20 min of work time when I get home.

coldone
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
One way that I read about on here was to attach a breaker bar to the crank shaft nut and suspend a weight from the end of the bar. It will keep constant pressure on the crank shaft even when you arent there. I have not tried it but it makes sense to me.

Ingersoll444
10-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Well I think she's toast. Still will only "chuck" back and forth a tiny bit, but the Pentrent is getting past the chamber quickly. I still need to pop the head, but looks like the fan shrod bolts on from the bottom. That Means I need to pull the engine before I can pull the head.

Im guessing its eather a holed piston, or a broken rod... We will see.

bstrucker
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
You should be able to take the head off without taking the blower housing off.

attorney_barnabas_collins
10-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Lots of Wisconsins in Bolens tube frames and they seem to have a lot of fans.

I have probably 8-10 old wisconsins I've never tried to start, all turn with compression. Probably have that many Briggs. Had to stop myself from buying any more. They are thick at auctions in So. Il.

Ingersoll444
10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
You should be able to take the head off without taking the blower housing off.

Im going to give that a try. Maybe I can unbolt it and slide it out.

I want to keep the tractor all together for now, so I dont want to pull the engine. Eaven though it's not going to be that hard, but for now it makes a good engine stand. :D

Tractor-Holic
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
if you fill it full of oil,and turn it even a little,if the oil spurts out of the plug hole,you'll know the piston is intact and the rod IS moving the piston..more oil wont hurt at this point,right??..I bet if you keep at it it'll free up if its not "blown up" or been run dry too long..might be only the cam hitting the lifters now thats holding it back??..

Ingersoll444
10-22-2009, 05:37 AM
OK, well I got the head off last night. And all looked good. REAL carboned up though! I wrapped a rope around the starter pulley, and put some pressure on it, and gave the piston a quick tap with a hammer handle, and she turned!!!!! Now just got to get the busted plug out, and find some parts.

Bolens 1000
10-22-2009, 06:42 AM
By the looks of it, It looks like she can be saved :bananapow
:goodl: Good luck with the project

Ingersoll444
10-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Ya, the bore looks REAL good!!!

I want to toss a head gasket on it, give the points a clean, rig up a fuel tank,[the one on it is rusted down to almost tin foil!!] and maybe a quick carb clean, and see if she fires!

Ingersoll444
10-25-2009, 08:14 AM
OK, well the remains of the plug are frozen SOLID into the head!!! I had a great bite on it with a extractor, and used heat, PBlaster, eaven that "freezeoff" stuff, and will not budge!!!! Im going to try to drill, and use a thred insert, but if that does not work, I will be looking for a new head.

I realy want her to fire before I put any money in it, but you gotta do, what you gotta do!

bstrucker
10-25-2009, 09:21 AM
The inside of the engine looks good,clean that carbon off before you put the head back on,you should be able to use your old head gasket,I reuse them on these older engines all the time.You could just shoot some penetrating oil into the fuel inlet on the carb,slosh it around and then pull the mixture screw out of the bottom and drain what you can back out,it should be good to go.Those Marvel Schebler carbs only have an o ring type gasket between the bowl and carb body,if youdo decide to tear it apart and tear the gasket,it wouldn't be to hard to make one.

Ingersoll444
10-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Ya, I was going to reuse the head gasket for now. If it runs, and I end up using it, I will revisit it. But to just make sure she runs, and is not all worn out.

Good idea with the carb. I will try that before I pull it apart!

Tractor-Holic
10-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Paul,you can probably smash the porcealin out of the spark plug with a punch,,then use a ground down hacksaw blade or a sabre saw with a metal blade in it to cut a slot in the threaded shell of the plug--only saw just enough to get through the shell or nearly so--then I bet it'll come out using a screw extractor once it "shrinks" when the slot closes up,or it can be caved inwards with a chisel and easily removed,just like taking out a busted muffler pipe on the exhaust..
I have taken quite a few snapped off plugs out of car heads using that method,without harming the threads in the head..at most you might have to use a spark plug thread chaser to clean them up a bit..

Ingersoll444
10-26-2009, 06:15 AM
It had snapped right below the nut, so all that came out, and I was left with just the shell, and threds. And nope... she did not move with a extractor!!!

I ended up drilling it out. I still have to chase the threds. Seems I dont have the right tap. :Disgus: I THINK I saved the threds though. I will find out after I retap it.

Ingersoll444
10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Well I found a tap!!!

Cost me $12 but at least I have it now. :D

Tapped out the plug hole, and screwed the plug in. Seems to be holding. I did not tighten it to much. Head is not bolted on yet, but looks like I saved it!!!

If daylight hangs out, I will try to get it bolted on tonight.