John Deere 212 Tranaxle humming. [Archive] - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: John Deere 212 Tranaxle humming.

Pages : 1 [2]

summers5
09-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Ive never owned a Earlier JD But ive had sears,and cubbys and not one sounded like that.Maybe im hearing things wrong but it sounds like a bearing of some sort.And if thats normal i think i would sell and get a diff one.
Thats just my opinion.

Ingersoll444
09-23-2009, 06:53 AM
lets back up like 30 steps here. which pully is the varidrive one? i took the deck off today and looked under there while moving the varidrive lever and i didn't see anything moving. Also, is the plug that you are talking about on the front of the transaxle? From what ithought before it was on the top.:greendr: :thanku:

You will not see it move without the engine running. [errr... and probably dont mess around with it wile running. :D] If you follow the first belt, you will see it go to a duel pulley. The other side of that pulley holds the rear belt. Thats the Variator.

JakeBlues652
09-23-2009, 04:53 PM
oh ok the two pulleys that are side by side. that makes since.if thats what it is i probably wouldn't mess with it until it breaks cause i don't want to be stuck with "leftovers" after i'm done fixing it. And i'll take the plug out and see what i can see. what color is the tranny oil? its regular motor oil right?:greendr: :thanku:

JakeBlues652
09-25-2009, 06:54 PM
so heres the deal. just took the plug out. it is full. it is a light brownish color with a bad smell. like it smells like something hasn't been done in a while. whats the best way to go about changing it? just take the plug off on the bottom or is there a cover on the back like cubcs that you can really clean out behind the hitch plate? did anyone ever tell me the weight of gear oil it uses? just dont want to mess it up right before winter. :thanku: :trink40: :greendr:

PA318Guy
09-26-2009, 10:22 PM
JakeBlues652, is it a light milky brown color like coffee with cream? If so you have some water contaminating it. If not the bad smell could be from the gears overheating (not a good sign). Run it around for a bit and then place your hand on the transmission, if it is hot to the touch you have a problem. I've pulled logs out of the woods with mine and never had it heat up too much. Might be a bearing going out in gearbox. Drain it and see if there are any metal flakes in the oil (put a magnet in the container you put the oil in and let it sit overnight. Check it the next day and see if any flakes appear). If not put in new oil and see if that quiets it down. If you have metalflakes you will either have a rebuild ahead of you or look for one on ebay or craigslist, they are never too expensive. If you want to see mine it's currently on ebay for sale 814pvilleman. I picked up the 318 and don't have room for both!:goodl:

JakeBlues652
09-26-2009, 11:12 PM
it definatly had some water. i know with hydraulic fluid it turns white when water is in it. the smell wasn't too too bad but it was strong. after washing my hands last night after checking it the smell still lingered. Anyone on what kind of fluid recomended?!?! what would cause the gears overheating? and how hot is to the touch? like touch it for a second and burn your hand or warm and how long do you think it would take before i checked? its sooooooo much easier with the deck off and it is currently off so i want to get it tip top shape before the cold sets in because i've had to work on plow trucks and stuff when the snow is falling around you and that is never fun and thats what i'm trying to avoid. I have confirmed it is NOT the variator bearings, because yes i had it running put her in neutral and looked underneath while working the lever and theres a little noise from that but not much and it sounds like its supposed to be like that. Also just for good measure, when plowing this winter chains or chains and weights? i'm going to be using the tires in the pictures on the first page and honestly i hate those tires but i'm not going to hassle to change then every winter unless i find rims for ag's or beefyer tires. any suggestions if i do take the route to get beefy tires? i was thinking just a plain jane set of ags and some chains because the majority of the plowing is on red shale and then i'm going to plow a little on a paved driveway but i really shouldn't have much problem on that with turf tires. overall i like the tires match but i spin so easily on wet grass. any opinions? Thanks in advance.:thanku:

Ingersoll444
09-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Well that tranny takes gear lube. And it smells!!!! I use synthic lube. Flows nice in the cold.

PA318Guy
09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
:i_praying You've probably smelled cooked oil if you've been around old engines, if it smells like that I would do the check for metal in what I drain. Here's some info direct from my 212 owners manual (the same transaxle):

Transaxle fluid level is 3 1/2 pint or 1.66 liter
Transaxle Oil Use SAE 90 oil meeting Service Classification GL-5

90 weight does smell bad so buy what you need to replace and smell it, if the oil in the transfer case smells the same you should be good to go. If you have a distinctly different odor then drain and check for metal.

If your transaxle is even warm to the touch after running it around for 10 - 15 minutes I would think you have a problem! Like I said I put my 212 through pulling logs up and out of the woods (100 ft runs) and the transaxle case was still cool to the touch (my belts were a different story!) so if something inside the transaxle is resisting turning causing heat I'd be concerned. I also think you should touch the axles right where the shaft ends at the wheel, the bearing there also might be going bad and might cause your humming. Any heat there would also be a sign!

As far as wheels I added chains for the winter and anything requiring reasonable traction. Turfs spin pretty easily in PA so increasing traction is important. I never bought any wheel weights for it as I'm about 275 lbs and I act as my own set!!! But they would help in the winter, as I've stuck it a number of times!
:goodl:

PA318Guy
09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
:i_praying You've probably smelled cooked oil if you've been around old engines, if it smells like that I would do the check for metal in what I drain. Here's some info direct from my 212 owners manual (the same transaxle):

Transaxle fluid level is 3 1/2 pint or 1.66 liter
Transaxle Oil Use SAE 90 oil meeting Service Classification GL-5

90 weight does smell bad so buy what you need to replace and smell it, if the oil in the transfer case smells the same you should be good to go. If you have a distinctly different odor then drain and check for metal.

If your transaxle is even warm to the touch after running it around for 10 - 15 minutes I would think you have a problem! Like I said I put my 212 through pulling logs up and out of the woods (100 ft runs) and the transaxle case was still cool to the touch (my belts were a different story!) so if something inside the transaxle is resisting turning causing heat I'd be concerned. I also think you should touch the axles right where the shaft ends at the wheel, the bearing there also might be going bad and might cause your humming. Any heat there would also be a sign!

As far as wheels I added chains for the winter and anything requiring reasonable traction. Turfs spin pretty easily in PA so increasing traction is important. I never bought any wheel weights for it as I'm about 275 lbs and I act as my own set!!! But they would help in the winter, as I've stuck it a number of times!
:goodl:

JakeBlues652
09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
i do have some gear oil in my basement and it smells similar but still different. so gear oil, sae 90. and according to what i'm taking from ingersoll synthetic works best in cold. i'll get to riding around tomorrow because we have had a 2 day rain and she still kicking.:thanku:

Lugo210
09-29-2009, 04:52 AM
That humming is a normal for the 200 series. It's due to the straight cut gears in that Peerless tranny. I've had two 210's and a 212 that I rebuilt the trannies with all new gears, bearings, bushings, and seals and they still hummed.

JakeBlues652
09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
:thanku:

i think i am still going to change the oil to try to quiet her down a little. what weight?

Beadle
10-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I have an old JD 212 and i got it early summer and it is my first JD and when you let out the clutch it hums like you wouldn't believe. I was wondering if it was a john deere thing or if it was something thats not right. I'm farmiliar with some other brands of hydro tractors hum if theres not enough fluid in it but it is a 4 speed. Bare with me if i'm doing anything wrong here. I'm new to this. Shes a beauty and i'll get some pictures up soon when i figure that out! :greendr:

I know what that problem is. I have a 212 also and it is not the oil in the transmissition. It is the transaxles them self the are getting worn out because mine are but you can replace them or leave them alone because they will never break so I hope this helps because my 212 has a vary big hum to it when you drive it and if you lift the rear end up and take the tires off and then put it in gear it has no noise because you have no presure on them and I had this for about a good 15 years and it started back at 8 years ago and it is still running strong. I hope this helps.

JakeBlues652
10-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks alot! bad news but if i ever fry the transaxle doing something i will know what i did!:thanku: