pergo laminated flooring [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: pergo laminated flooring

simple_john
08-20-2005, 08:09 PM
anybody put this stuff down? i have rugs in my office and with dogs.. id like to switch to wood or wood laminate..
has anyone installed a pergo floor? do they hold up well? look ok a few yewars later?

mla2ofus
08-20-2005, 08:19 PM
We put some down in our dining room and love it. We've been told not to let sand or small gravel get on it as it is just like formica on countertops and something really hard will scratch it if slid across it under shoes, furniture legs, etc.
Mike

Durwood
08-20-2005, 08:29 PM
anybody put this stuff down? i have rugs in my office and with dogs.. id like to switch to wood or wood laminate..
has anyone installed a pergo floor? do they hold up well? look ok a few yewars later?

Here is the laminated floor i put down a year ago. So far it has held up but be careful as all laminated floors are not the same. My boys house that it was put in some of the pieces have seperated in several places with a 1/4" gap between pieces in some places. Mine has stayed together ok. I got mine at lumberliquidators at $1.39 a square foot.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/conditions.asp

It is the old boston plank
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/shopping/add.asp?product_id=283

Here is the thread you can scroll down and see the pics of it i have already posted.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=2994

simple_john
08-20-2005, 08:35 PM
DW: Lumber liquidators.. i always hear their commercials.. we have a store right up the road from me.. ill take a ride there...

The pergo looks real simple and ive talked to a few folks who just love it...

i want to do something to my office and hallway upstairs this fall....

Durwood
08-20-2005, 08:42 PM
The reason i went with the boston plank John is because the strips look the whole width wide instead of 3 little 2" strips on each piece that don't look good to me. Compare the boston plank look to some of the others and you will see what i mean.

Dur

cadurning
08-20-2005, 08:57 PM
SJ,

Take a good look at the way the flooring is made. Laminated flooring products are NOT all alike. The kids got some Pergo that was like shelf paper with a "photograph" of wood grain as the "prefinished" surface. Once their kids started getting rough some of the simulated wood began to peel off. What a mess and of course the damage is in the middle of the traffic area. There are some rotten & great products out there. I would suggest that you inspect the product carefilly to be sure that you are getting a "real" wood surface that can be resanded if necessary and not some plastic overlay that looks like wood.

Wingnut
08-20-2005, 09:01 PM
My last house had Pergo some of the edges delaminated and it looked really shotty after awhile. That was 7 years ago and they have fixed the problem since, I have laid 1100+ sqft. of TrafficMaster by Hampton (HomeDepot) and it looks as go as it did 2 years ago when I installed it.
When installing it you body let you know what musle you have not used, but I did lose 20 lbs that was an added benefit (but not at the time).

MowHoward2210
08-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Very pleased with the Pergo flooring that covers entire upstairs (living, dining, hallway and 3 bedrooms) except kitchen and bathrooms. Looks the same as when I first put it down almost 5 years ago. What really impressed me was I had a window leak, and the rain water seeped up to the surface from underneath and came up between the plank seems, and it didn't warp.

fatboy84
08-20-2005, 11:01 PM
I have lamiated floor, Tawny Oak Welcome Home Collection. Installed when house was built in 1999.

It has held up well with my kids riding some of the toys around and pushing their doll cars on it. Got a dog last year (about 40 lbs), and it is still holding up well.

I sometimes wish the true hardwoods, but this is nice stuff.

My parents have real hardwood floors and put extra coats of clear coat on it and it is holding up great. Kids sometime ride a small tricycle in their house with no visible damage.

Hutch001b
08-21-2005, 07:17 AM
I heard bad things about the brands available at Home Depot and Lowe's as being cheaply made so I went online and got the Alloc Domestic. We've been happy with it for the last 2 years. The one mistake I made was that I forgot to order the textured style and got smooth instead and it is much harder to keep clean. I went with the laminate instead of the real thing because it is actually supposed to hold up better to pets and we have 2 dogs and 4 cats with no scratches yet. Good Luck, Hutch

JDFANATIC
08-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Go to a real flooring store and check out the premium brands such as Mannington etc. You'll find they use aluminum oxide in their formulations and they will stand up and are warranted to do so for many years. Also all click-locks are not the same, and some will actually chip the surface edges as they go together. As for the flooring store and a premium brand cost, well, you might be surprised.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

jdkubotamurray
08-21-2005, 07:44 AM
I had trouble with Austrailian Cypris hardwood from Lumber Liquidators, using a licensed professional installer the stuff spilt during and hours after nailing, we put down just a couple of boxes of 17 we bought. They and their President refused to stand behind it (and it has a many year warranty), and if I had not paid by credit card I'd be up a creek. I shipped it all back to them COD Truck so it still cost me the original truck shipping from GA of $100. They even refused the shipment and I would not take it back either (I reused their same truck carrier) but Citi Cards made the dispute stick as I had a letter from the Professional Installer, he'd never seen anything like the crap. I wound up having the installer put down namebrand 3/4" hardwood with a gunstock finish, no problem whatsoever after 2 years, looks great.