Woodduck houses and Mallard nesting structures [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Woodduck houses and Mallard nesting structures

farmallmaniac
04-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Anyone know of a good site that has some good plans that i can print for woodduck houses and mallard nesting structures? I want to make a bunch of wood duck houses for out at my cabin on swanlake to help bring back the wood ducks and make some houses to help the mallard population come back to swan as its been declining over recent years. Yeah I know me myself won't do too much but hey every little bit helps and it will also help my woodshop grade lol. Thanks

Archdean
04-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Try this Here (http://www.calwaterfowl.org/Nestbox.htm)

My pair just returned yesterday!!

farmallmaniac
04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
thanks for the link :fing02:

farmallmaniac
04-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Also whats the best kind of wood for this type of project? Thanks!

Archdean
04-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Also whats the best kind of wood for this type of project? Thanks!

Any rough sawn is good but any ole crap will do just fine just roughen it if it is smooth !!

farmallmaniac
04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Any rough sawn is good but any ole crap will do just fine just roughen it if it is smooth !!

Why roughen it? I can see why you would roughen the inside so the duckilins and stuff can get out.. So something like ceder or pine I've been hearing works good?

03-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Anyone know of a good site that has some good plans that i can print for woodduck houses and mallard nesting structures? I want to make a bunch of wood duck houses for out at my cabin on swanlake to help bring back the wood ducks and make some houses to help the mallard population come back to swan as its been declining over recent years. Yeah I know me myself won't do too much but hey every little bit helps and it will also help my woodshop grade lol. Thanks

Sorry I don't have the dimensions, but here is a photo I took a few years ago on a wildlife refuge of a Wood Duck house and predator deterrent. If you can find some old Western Red Cedar 1x12 fencing boards it works really well. Or new lumber will age rather quickly.