Husqvarna GTH2254XP hydro trans problem [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Husqvarna GTH2254XP hydro trans problem

Bakerman
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a Husq GTH2254XP with a Hydro-gear hydrostatic transaxle. The tractor has 180 hours of operation. After about 10 minutes of running, the tranny growls and the tractor stops. If you leave it set for about 15-30 minutes, it will go for about another 5-10 minutes - growls and stops. The dealer had me change out the trans fluid but that didn't help. He thinks the transmission is bad and says repair of the transmission is highly improbable.

My questions are;
1. Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to repair a hydro-gear 331-3000 transaxle?
2. Does anyone know of another transaxle that is a "drop-in" replacement for the 331-3000?
3. Does anyone know how to modify a 2254 from a hydrostatic transaxle to a manual transaxle?

Thanks !

davidg
04-21-2009, 11:52 AM
:Welcome1:

you say you changed the fluid, did you put the proper amount of teh proper fluid in it? some hydros have ATF, some have oil, and the 2 will not mix. you have to disassemble and clean every part in order to change between them.

as to your questions,

1. i dunno. not sure if that one is repairable or not as i am not familiar with it.

2. not sure, but if you buy it at a dealer you will pay more than the machine is worth usually.

3. possible, but you have to be able to fab up a LOT of linkages/mounts/etc. teh setup is completely different for hydro versus manual.

Bakerman
04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your response. The dealer recommended I put high quality synthetic 20W 50 motor oil in it. As a matter of fact he sold it to me. I'm pretty sure I put in the correct amount. The dealer told me how to measure the fluid level without having to take the tranny out.

I think the dealer had an idea the transmission had a bigger problem than the fluid when he suggested I change it. He was not at all encouraging when I first went in and described my problem.

I saw a video on You Tube where two guys took apart a manual transmission out of a Craftsman tractor and was hoping someone else had tried working on a hydrostatic transmission. Or maybe could point me in the direction of a Hydro-gear transaxle repair manual.

I have sent both Husqvarna and Hydro-Gear e-mails asking for tech support but have not heard back from either one.

Thanks for your help !!!

Sergeant
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Husqvarna will take a while before you get a response It took me almost two weeks to get a response on a Chain Saw.

Bakerman
04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm sure Husqvarna is very busy right now. I think my grass is growing about 1 ft per hour - just like everyone elses. Its a natural law that the worst things go wrong at the absolute worst times.

Bakerman
04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Received information from Hydro-gear telling me my transaxle ought to be repairable and advised there is both a repair manual; # BLN-51259 and a Service DVD ; # BLN-51763 available. I ordered them both from M&D Mower https://www.m-and-d.com ; $10.30 for the manual and $ 38.52 for the Service DVD.

We'll see how this turns out.

rallyfever
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
any updates Bakerman?

Bakerman
04-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Tranny problem solved (I hope). I found a new tranny on e-bay for $350. Gotta admit, I was very skeptical - new from the factory they are about $900 - $1000.

It wasn't that difficult to change out the transmission. I've mowed with it twice now and it seems to be working fine. I was getting very tired of mowing 1 1/2 acre with a 22" push mower.

My winter project will be to try to rebuild the old transmission. I also received the maintenance manual and training DVD which is very detailed and well done.

I also heard (e-mail) from the tech rep from Hydro-Gear. He was very helpful. Still haven't heard from Husqvarna. Not surprised (and not impressed) there.

searsman6000
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
When you drained out the old oil was there any metal shavings in the oil?? How did you drain the old oil out? Did the dealer mention anything about a filter that could be changed? Did you purge the tranny?

Bakerman
04-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I drained the old oil by using a hand-held vaccum pump going through the fill hole on the top of the tranny. In restrospect that was probably a marginal way to get the old oil out because I couldn't get it all. I did not see any metal shavings in the old oil. It was pretty dark brown in color - but it didn't smell like it was burnt at all.

Yes the dealer did mention that there was a filter that was replacable but he said the transmission had to come out of the tractor to replace it. After now having gone through the transmission removal process, I'm thinking that the filter could be replaced without removing the transmission. So, the old transmission has not been opened up yet.

I'd still like to hear from Husqvarna to see if they would provide any warranty support for this. Even though I'm beyond the basic warranty of two years, this is only the third mowing season and the tractor had only 160 operating hours. I didn't want to tear the transmission apart until I heard from Husqvarna.

Now that mowing season is in full stride, I'm busy keeping up with the yard. The old tranny will set on my workbench until I have a few spare hours to tinker with it.

searsman6000
04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes the dealer did mention that there was a filter that was replacable but he said the transmission had to come out of the tractor to replace it. After now having gone through the transmission removal process, I'm thinking that the filter could be replaced without removing the transmission. So, the old transmission has not been opened up yet.

I originally thought the same thing on my Big Red - http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=66771&page=3. On page three you can see that the filter was falling down as well as a little ball and spring which made it impossible to reassemble without pulling tranny out and turning it over. If/when you do pull pan off, there should be a magnet inside and check for metal there.

Bakerman
04-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Well that's surely a great tip. I'd have thought the filter could have been replaced with the tranny installed. What a bummer !!! Its no fun at all to drop the transmission and to have to do that just to replace the filter is just poor engineering.

Thanks for the tip ! When I do disassemble the transmission, I'll be sure to follow the orientation advice in the service manual ans the DVD instructions !!!

Topdj-com
05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
**** I have the same transmission,
wouldn't mind a copy of the dvd just so I know how it works :)