Where to live, not too hot, not too cold? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Where to live, not too hot, not too cold?

Boyd
02-05-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm not moving any time soon. I've lived all my life in Minnesota. I've thought of moving to South Dakota or Nebraska sometime down the road. I have plans of starting a manufacturing business making attachements for riding mowers. I'm tired of how liberal the politics are here (not trying to start a political topic) and how cold the winters can get. BUT I have no plans of moving way south like Florida, Texas or Arizona. South Dakota has no personal or corporate income tax. I don't plan on moving until the business is up and making money. Nowhere really humid as I HATE MOSQUITOS. The closer you are to a pond or marsh it seems the more there are.

Edward
02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I have fun at this website
http://www.findyourspot.com/default.asp?NewQ=3

Ken N Tx
02-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Texas has no State Income Tax...Mild winters..Nowhere really humid (some parts)..You can saddle the MOSQUITOS in some areas!!
:goodl:

BrianM1a
02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Check out NH

jeepersmitty
02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Don't forget the fire ants, killer bees and ticks. The beautiful women and great fishing lakes offset those though.

Ken N Tx
02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I thought a beautiful woman in Texas is called a tourist!!:sidelaugh

Edward
02-05-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm tellin' yer wife!

Ken N Tx
02-05-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm tellin' yer wife!

She is not a native Texan....:sidelaugh

jeepersmitty
02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
I thought a beautiful woman in Texas is called a tourist!!:sidelaugh
That's right. You don't live in East Texas. :duh:

davidg
02-05-2009, 11:43 AM
or try Tennessee. the Smoky Mountains are beautiful and the climate is not too bad.

NoTime
02-05-2009, 12:09 PM
or try Tennessee. the Smoky Mountains are beautiful and the climate is not too bad.

..but you get ice storms, which I think are worse than snow...

I have relatives in Florida that were getting tired of the extreme heat, wanted more seasonal changes and were seriously contemplating moving to the Carolinas, then they saw the Carolinas getting an ice storm and decided to stayed put... (Although they did get a 5th wheel up here as a "summer home")

Edward
02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Nowhere is exempt from weather. I think Yogi Berra said that.

The smoothest climates, IMO; Hawaii and Key West. But with one you get hurricanes, the other you live a ways away...just my two cents.

Ingersoll444
02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I was thinking the Carolinas myself. Im from the northeast...a ice storm or two is not going to bother me. and I would be MORE then happy to knock a few months off of winter!!!

Tractor-Holic
02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I've explored many other areas,I've been thinking of moving myself,probably to a much warmer climate--I dont mind HEAT,not crazy about humidity though...and I find ALL of the U.S. States have their disadvantages--seems no where in the USA is "perfect",except maybe Hawaii!--every other state has either too much snow and cold for too many months per year,or is too hot,humid,or has widfires,drought,earthquakes,tonadoes,hurricanes,o r is a ghetto!..

I liked TN when I went there,but it was extremely humid in June when I was there--not much different than MA,where I am now--but I like the fact the winter only lasts a month or two,so you still have 4 seasons-and for the most part the weather is decent,and it IS a beautiful state,and the people there were a lot friendlier than I am used too also!-the fact I like country music and Nashville is "Music City", doesn't hurt either..A friend moved to Shelbyville TN about 15 years ago,and he's got only one regret--that he waited so long to MOVE there!...

I've heard however,much has changed there since I visited in the 1990s,a lot of new construction,zoning law changes,new taxes,high property taxes,etc..but I bet it's still much cheaper to live in TN than it is here...that is probably true for many other states as well..

I have friends who moved to Florida and NC--they say Florida is cheaper to live in than MA,but health care sucks for the most part,and wages are pretty low too--but the warm weather offsets it--one lives in the panhandle,and has narrowly escaped Katrina and several other hurricanes,I think I'd be leery of living there,and humidity could be unpleasant too...I dont like alligators much either!..

The guy who moved to NC says its nice there MOST of the time,but he's had a few nasty storms and ice to deal with,but at least the snow and ice seems to pass quickly,a few days or a week later and its back to 50-60 degrees--he warned me if I moved there ,to sell my vehicles here,and buy one there instead,or I'll have to pay a 1000 dollar tax for bringing mine there?...(I'd rather sell my rotboxes here anyway and buy a rust free Carolina truck anyway,so that wont be a deterrant though)...I hear prices there are rising for homes and land too though..

I think I'd like Arizona,I could take the heat as long as it's a dry heat--and I'd love to live where your vehicles never rust away,and older antique ones are fairly plentiful and cheaper than you'll ever see here..and I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon,and I'm a rockhound too,so I'd probably like it there..not sure how costly things are there though...or how safe it is ...

Texas sounds tempting too,depending on what area--I've read Dallas and Houston are the only two cities in the USA that seems to be bucking the trend as far as the economy tanking--many jobs there,good ones too,not burger joint minimum wage ones ..not sure if I'd be able to stomach living in a big city though,I prefer a rural simple life--it's just hard to be able to survive in the places like that,since jobs are scarce where the "good life" can be lived it seems..

Up here,with thousands of forclosed homes,crime is rising rapidly,many homeless and crminals are "squatting" in those homes in the cities ,that now are becoming a ghetto quickly,and many forieners are buying these homes at auction lately too,and making the cities into what feels like a smaller version of their forien country now,compared to how it once was here,many dont speak english either...some places here now,I feel like I'm in the wrong country!...I'm not a racist,but I dont want to be one of only a few white american born males left in existance either,and thats how it's getting here..mostly it's the weather I want to get away from,the other issues I could deal with..

LilysDad
02-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I like the north coast of Calif. or Oregon, but it rains all winter. Nothing is perfect.

AcreFarm
02-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I liked TN when I went there,but it was extremely humid in June when I was there--not much different than MA,where I am now--but I like the fact the winter only lasts a month or two,so you still have 4 seasons-and for the most part the weather is decent,and it IS a beautiful state,and the people there were a lot friendlier than I am used too also!-the fact I like country music and Nashville is "Music City", doesn't hurt either..A friend moved to Shelbyville TN about 15 years ago,and he's got only one regret--that he waited so long to MOVE there!...

I've heard however,much has changed there since I visited in the 1990s,a lot of new construction,zoning law changes,new taxes,high property taxes,etc..but I bet it's still much cheaper to live in TN than it is here...that is probably true for many other states as well..

I agree, TN is nice.. we moved here from NY 2 years ago. Here's some things that sold us on this state;
The humidity here (I'm in western-middle TN) is not any worse than it was in WNY. The winters are a joke (to those from lake effect snow country). Ice storms are no biggie, just like March back north. There are still 4 seasons, and they are more on schedule than the north east; winter comes at the end of December, spring by March..etc. Tornados suck, but like you said nowhere is perfect.
Zoning changes by county, we have none here. No building permits, but you do need a burning permit in late summer. No income tax and property taxes are a laugh. They could put a 1 in front of what we pay and it would still be much less than we were paying. Sales tax is .5 % more here than there, but in general sticker prices are less. Pay is comparable, but cost of living is lower.

T-H you mentioned Nashville, but forgot Memphis. Sure it's got its bad side, but the music's great and the food is better. Even if someone didn't care for the tunes, you can't deny their BBQ :homer:

tiretrx
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I've always been impressed by Delaware myself. Beautiful, good hunting and fishing, on the ocean and a whole lot cheaper than Long Island.

skcsbrh
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I have lived in Portsmouth N.H, Groton CT, Mayport and Key West FL, Virginia Beach VA, Guam and was raised on NY's Long Island. I now live in NE Indiana near the MI and OH borders. Up in the northeast there are the winters and humid summers. In the mid atlantic there are wet cold winters and humid summers with the threat of hurricanes. In North FL there are mild winters and humid summers with the threat of hurricanes. On Key West, its warm year round but then the threat of hurricanes and tourists. On the island of Guam there are Typhoons, earthquakes, large lizards and flying insects that carry off small dogs and its' summer year round with humid conditions. In NE Indiana we have cold winters with an average of 3 feet of snow, short spring times, moderate summers with some humidity and mosquitoes near the ponds and lakes, short autums (first covering snow was Nov 16 2008 this season). We do get the threat of tornadoes but not that much. The best place for the weather for me has ben in Indiana, the change of seasons is the best. The welcoming buds of spring the lush greening in the summer, the colors of the fall are wonderfull, the seeing of the corn reading fo harvest, then the excitement of the snows in the winter. Until about now when we are all tired of it and waiting to get above freezing for the first time in months.

Ingersoll444
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
T-H you mentioned Nashville, but forgot Memphis. Sure it's got its bad side, but the music's great and the food is better. Even if someone didn't care for the tunes, you can't deny their BBQ :homer:

Blues, and BBq..... what more can you ask for!!!!!!!!!!!!:thThumbsU :thThumbsU

Tractor-Holic
02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I was tempted to go to Arkansas after seeing "Paunch" (Eric Estrada) selling those house lots there for 15K or so,awhile back on late night TV--but I also saw him selling some in Florida at "Lehigh Acres",and I think a hurricane wiped the place out about 6 months after that!..seemed too good to be true.

Arkansas semed to have a lot going for it like TN,low taxes,housing costs etc compared to here,good jobs nearby,etc..wouldn't want to be there now in that ice storm's aftermath,but we got the same thing here a month or two ago--and I bet they get it a lot less often than here too,winters are probably milder..and short!..

I thought about Missouri ,but it appears to be "tornado alley" there and can get very cold in winter too..

North or South Dakota??--no thanks,I am cold enough here in MA!--Siberia is probably warmer than it is there!..Colorado seems to be 60 one day and 10 the next,too variable for me..if I move its going to be somewhere I need air conditiong,not a heater so much...

I know a guy who moved to Georgia and loves it there,says it was the best move he made,litterally..not too expensive,life is at a slower pace there like TN compared to here too..plenty of good hunting and fishing ,etc..