Pto/clutch Adjustment [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Pto/clutch Adjustment

new case dued
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Is There An Adjustment To The Pto/clutch On The Front Of The 14hp Kolher On My 1984 444. We Recently Got A Bunch Of Snow - I Was Excited To Get Out There And Clear The Neiborhood It Did A Good Job Except The Fact The Snow Caster Would Bog Down And Stop. I Know This Can't Be Normal, My Dad Had A 222 With Snowcaster And It Tossed The Snow Way Better Than Mine In Spite Of Two Less Hp.
Any Suggestions. (another Big Storm On The Way) Will Be Time To Play Soon.

Thanks,

Patrick

Caseguytoo
01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
If your Snocaster is bogging down and stopping the engine, then it isn't the fault of the clutch.

If you told me that your engine was running at full throttle but the Snocaster was stopping on you when you waded into the snow, then that would be different. Your clutch would be slipping and in need of an adjustment or new disc.

Keeping every area of your Snocaster painted is important. Rusty augers, rusty housings, rust chutes all slow down the discharge of snow and take hp away from the engine. In wet, heavy snow this problem really shows up.

Augers that have been moved forward to take up stretch and wear in the drive chain also underperform. Put a new chain on and move the auger back to the OEM position.

If your clutch is somewhat hard to push forward and then snaps in as it reaches the end of the lever travel, then it's adjusted just fine.

Magnum RT
01-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Is There An Adjustment To The Pto/clutch On The Front Of The 14hp Kolher On My 1984 444. We Recently Got A Bunch Of Snow - I Was Excited To Get Out There And Clear The Neiborhood It Did A Good Job Except The Fact The Snow Caster Would Bog Down And Stop. I Know This Can't Be Normal, My Dad Had A 222 With Snowcaster And It Tossed The Snow Way Better Than Mine In Spite Of Two Less Hp.
Any Suggestions. (another Big Storm On The Way) Will Be Time To Play Soon.

Thanks,

Patrick
If the engine is holding speed, but the snow caster auger is stoppong, Then you do have a clutch or belt problem. You will then have to determine which of the two it is. For the clutch, go to the link below:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/casegardentractors/

go to "Files" and scroll down to:"FAQ's "
Then scroll down to:
"How do I adjust PTO clutch?"

I suggest you study this area, book mark it and maybe join the group.

Bart
01-25-2009, 07:23 PM
As Rol said, you have to determine whether the belt is slipping or the clutch. The belt should not slip unless the snowcaster jams with a large stick or the like. Make sure that the belt tension spring is keeping the belt tight--it should take a pretty firm push on the idler lever to release the belt tension.

pack rat
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
If your clutch is mechanical as oppossed to solenoid operated, than it needs to be adjusted. Adjustment is made by tightening the lock nut on the end of the engine crankshaft and leaving a a gap of.002"-007" . The tractor manual I have says to measure by using two feeler gauges 180 degrees apart.

Steve

new case dued
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
the engine doen't labor at all but the snow caster will come to a halt if i go any faster than a crawl. belt isn't slipping. so i guess its the clutch that is slipping as i first mentioned. i have seen mentioned here on the forum, of easy adjust clutches? is that what would be on a 1984 ingy 444???

thanks for the replies

patrick

Bart
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Go to the following link and there is a manual describing how to adjust your clutch.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gE5-Sb5niiIeDn_0EzZEbRUEtbDyo4CLG2uP3HlFHreZJOWvSnXqw2 58yr4vraa2d5CyCskFoL9vwcy32ps4-9rzdbWMYZukOSk4MODjUKvXtWC2Cg/Belts%20and%20PTO%20Clutch%20Manuals%20/EZ%20Adjust%20Clutch%20Manual/CLUTCH%20-%20EZ%20adjust%20PTO%20Clutch%20manual%20.pdf

Caseguytoo
01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
:Stop: :Disgus: I wish that both you and Rol would tell people that they have to JOIN the CCI group in order to view any files there.

Not a big deal to do, but informing them of that fact tends to make things simpler and less frustrating.:thThumbsU

Bart
01-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm not positive but I don't think you have to join to view the messages and files. Nevertheless they should join for all the fun they would otherwise miss.

eschoendorff
01-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Go to the following link and there is a manual describing how to adjust your clutch.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gE5-Sb5niiIeDn_0EzZEbRUEtbDyo4CLG2uP3HlFHreZJOWvSnXqw2 58yr4vraa2d5CyCskFoL9vwcy32ps4-9rzdbWMYZukOSk4MODjUKvXtWC2Cg/Belts%20and%20PTO%20Clutch%20Manuals%20/EZ%20Adjust%20Clutch%20Manual/CLUTCH%20-%20EZ%20adjust%20PTO%20Clutch%20manual%20.pdf

"Document Not Found.":fing20:

The Case Yahoo group isn't hard to join... but you have to wait for approval before you can view files... bummer. Should only take a day or two.

Caseguytoo
01-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I'm not positive but I don't think you have to join to view the messages and files. Nevertheless they should join for all the fun they would otherwise miss.

Bart,
Non-members can lurk and read the board but that's the extent of it. Photos, Files, Links etc are off-limits. That's the way it is with every Yahoo Group and on some, even the board can't be read.

Ken N Tx
01-27-2009, 07:01 AM
The Case Yahoo group isn't hard to join... but you have to wait for approval before you can view files... bummer. Should only take a day or two.

Its the same here at MTF...

Due to the spammers out there, New Members have to be validated by an Administrator in order to participate!!

As of 08-12-2006, MTF went to validating and have over 5,000 spammers on record!!

Sorry, now back to the topic...

Magnum RT
01-27-2009, 09:31 AM
:Stop: :Disgus: I wish that both you and Rol would tell people that they have to JOIN the CCI group in order to view any files there.

Not a big deal to do, but informing them of that fact tends to make things simpler and less frustrating.:thThumbsU

Thank you, Sir! I was not aware of that! I'll try to do better from now on!:omg: :fing20:

tmd
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I have the Service Manual for that Tractor and Clutch. (You did say the EZ Clutch Correct). If you send me your email, I'll send you the section. I have had to mess with mine a few times mostly due to the using the snow caster. I know Rol will get on me about this because he has been trying to help me correct the problem on mine. :fing32: I have not had a problem with it this year however so I may have FINALLY gotten it correct. You need to follow the instructions to the letter expecially if you have tried to take it apart with out the manual. The spring order (wavy washers) and the clutch gap are critical.

new case dued
01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
HEY TMD,

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. MY EMAIL IS JJOH400801@AOL.COM I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE T. I DID GO IN TO SOME OF THE YAHOO GROUPS BUT COULN'T FIND THE MANUALS THERE.

THANK YOU,

PATRICK

skcsbrh
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
New Case, It's too cold for all that work!!! Grab a shovel!!!!!!!
Just kidding. Hope you get it worked out!

Magnum RT
01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I have the Service Manual for that Tractor and Clutch. (You did say the EZ Clutch Correct). If you send me your email, I'll send you the section. I have had to mess with mine a few times mostly due to the using the snow caster. I know Rol will get on me about this because he has been trying to help me correct the problem on mine. :fing32: I have not had a problem with it this year however so I may have FINALLY gotten it correct. You need to follow the instructions to the letter expecially if you have tried to take it apart with out the manual. The spring order (wavy washers) and the clutch gap are critical.

Hey, Rol will never get on anyone who properly tries to help someone with a problem! If I helped you get yours working properly, I have accomplished my job. Now it is our turn to pass it on!:thThumbsU :thThumbsU :thThumbsU

Jimsat
12-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I just sent you some manuals to your email address you posted. If any one else needs some info I have piles of parts,electrical,service,timely tips, etc manuals that came with my tractor, unfortunately some are hard copy.

Great forum guys been looking for a while, keep up the good work!

Bart
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I just sent you some manuals to your email address you posted. If any one else needs some info I have piles of parts,electrical,service,timely tips, etc manuals that came with my tractor, unfortunately some are hard copy.

Great forum guys been looking for a while, keep up the good work!

Wow, what a great memory! I have enough trouble remembering what I planned to do this morning and here you are responding 11 months after the original post.:ROF :ROF

RichardP
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow, what a great memory! I have enough trouble remembering what I planned to do this morning and here you are responding 11 months after the original post.:ROF :ROF

Bart,
True, post is 11 months old, but can't we welcome a new member to the forums before laying into him, besides, look at that avatar!
Nice looking set up.

Bart
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Bart,
True, post is 11 months old, but can't we welcome a new member to the forums before laying into him, besides, look at that avatar!
Nice looking set up.

:sorry1: Missed that you were a newbie but being from Wisconsin I know you can handle it! :trink40: In the future, best to start a new thread or you'll get beat up worse by the really mean guys around here.

It is a nice looking rig--just like mine. Been out of town for a few days so I guess I better check the shed to make sure no one has stampeded the herd.

Jimsat
12-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Sorry I didn't realize the thread was so old until after I posted it,I was searching for Snocaster info and just wanted to send clutch info to the guy who needed it....and of course I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention.OOPPPS!