Chainsaw [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Chainsaw

DocHolliday
11-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm looking for a nice chainsaw to get the farm clean up. I've been lookin at Lowes and they have Poulans for a OK price and some HUSKS. I'm looking for a good chainsaw with a 18"-20" bar. Anyone got any ideas what I should get?

i'm looking to spend round $100-180.

johnboggs21
11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Ive heard that the poulans can be difficult to start. Husqavarnas are usually pretty good.

DocHolliday
11-17-2008, 03:06 PM
The Husks are a pretty good penny...I wonder if I can get a good one on EBAY?

munderhill
11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Look for a used saw. Check your local saw shop. They may have some good trade in saws.
But if new is the way you want to go then either husky or stihl are very good saws Echo makes a good saw too. I would not waste time with a cheapo. Just my opinion.
MU

bontai Joe
11-17-2008, 03:26 PM
A chainsaw is one tool that going cheap on can bite you later. I'd pony up the cash and get a Stihl. I know it's more than double your budget, but you'll have the saw for 10 or more years with minimal problems. Nothing worse than planning a day to cut wood, getting decent weather as a bonus and have the darn saw crap out on you. But if your budget won't stretch that far, then I'd look at Husqvarna. No matter what saw you get, pick up at least 2 extra chains so you have one on hand when you dull one up. Chain sharpening is a job I do indoors when the weather won't let me work outdoors.

DocHolliday
11-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm just tired of using a axe to cut down big trees, I'm not saying I don't like doing it the old way, it's just I need to get things done faster.....

I may get a Stihl on Ebay...

DocHolliday
11-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Think I should get a chainsaw on EBAY?

munderhill
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
No. I'd get it from a dealer.
MU

xdiver86
11-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I bought a Polan on e-bay and it was like new. Added gas and oil and it ran like a champ. Need to ask why such a long bar? you can easily cut a 30" tree with a 16" bar.

DocHolliday
11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I may get a 16".

Team_Green
11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
If your geting a 18-20 inch bar your going to need to get a big cc motor to turn all the saw. you will find a tree to fill the bar with i am sure...

ElectricalBen
11-18-2008, 11:35 PM
id stick with a stihl or a husquvarna. ups to husquvarna very reasonable price but finding a good dealer and service repair man a bit diffcult. stihl is really the best you can buy new and used from dealer alot of times the dealer will service for free or reletaltivly cheap. once you use a cheap saw and then a stihl you will see the diffrence. they are howerver a bit higher because they are not market through big corportions but are the best. I used a 100 dolar homelight for 2 years and it seemed ok for 40 cc but i bought a 35 cc stihl it runs circles around it and doesnt bog down or get dull near as quick. and i bought this sae with my own money at the age of 14 because i got tired of using the homelite my dad gave me that i got running and used but it did give alot of good experience. but dealers will have used sawa too.

~aRBy~
11-19-2008, 02:40 AM
If you are going to buy used from a dealer stick with the Stihl.
You will have an easier time finding a good used Stihl. At all the shops I have been to this is my observation. Looking for a used Husqvarna and most of what the dealers have are saws that have been ran and worked pretty hard. Now the Stihlís you will find some that are worked just as hard, but you will also find quite a few really good used saws that are hardly used or very lightly used. It seems (and this is what I have noticed) that a lot of people go looking for a saw and they buy the a stihl because everyone told them there is nothing better. The saw doesnít live up to their expectations, or they improperly maintain the thing, or they just realize they paid TOO much for something that really didnít need. Whatever the saw goes back and the dealer gets it back in to shape and you have a really nice used saw.
Keep in mind that even though, for the price of a good used Stihl, you can get yourself a brand new Husqvarna of equal size.

Ingersoll444
11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
You are not going to find a GOOD 18-20" bar saw new for $200. Blan for dubble that. Stay away from the low buck Polins/Craftsmans if you can. Not that long lasting. I have a small 16" one, and it works OK, but realy cheep and cheezy. Good for limming, but thats about it. I would say find a nice used one, but then you have to worry about fixing it.. Tough call realy. Can you dig a little more cash up??? Maybe a real nice 16" or small 18" saw from a big name you could probably find in the $300 range.

WVdeerehunter
11-19-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm just tired of using a axe to cut down big trees, I'm not saying I don't like doing it the old way, it's just I need to get things done faster.....

I may get a Stihl on Ebay...

Doc,

You must be a real man! How many have you cut with an ax?

Can't go wrong with Stihl or Husqvarna.

Later
Steve

fwinters
11-19-2008, 07:56 AM
I have a Stihl MS 250 with a 16 inch bar, extra chains and carrying case. I have 175 acre tree farm and in eight years I have only come up with one tree that the 16 inch bar would not cut all the way. I also have a Dremel tool attachment that I use to sharpen the chains. The Stihl brand has never failed me.

DocHolliday
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Doc,

You must be a real man! How many have you cut with an ax?

Can't go wrong with Stihl or Husqvarna.

Later
Steve

Many trees...To many with an axe. I think it's chainsaw time.

I may get a Stihl. Thanks guys for the advice!!!!

draddogs
11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
If you are cutting big hard wood then go for the big saw. Small cc's and small bars will cut big wood but will also wear out. I use a MS290 with a 20" bar and cut all the wood I can handle. It is heavier than the smaller saws but it is just short of going to a professional saw which kicks the price up substationally.

John Deere Addict
11-20-2008, 08:45 AM
I had a Stihl....I know they are supposed to be one of the best, unfortunately I must have gotten a lemon.

I asked my friend who is a professional logger for advice on what I should buy...he has run them all and speaks highly of Stihl as well.....but,

I have been very happy with his reccomendation

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/products_product_details.aspx?pid=149

STUMPGRINDER
11-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm looking for a nice chainsaw to get the farm clean up. I've been lookin at Lowes and they have Poulans for a OK price and some HUSKS. I'm looking for a good chainsaw with a 18"-20" bar. Anyone got any ideas what I should get?

i'm looking to spend round $100-180.

I have a stihl ms310 i use for the big work and a poulan 16" with
an 18" bar i use for smaller work...
I have had the poulan for at least 10 years probably longer and
it has been an excellent saw, only thing i ever replaced on it
was the oil pump (this spring), if it ever wears out i will replace
it with a stihl ms170 because then i won't have to mix up
diff mixes for the saws, the poulan uses 40-1 and the stihls
50-1, but that would be the only reason as the poulan has been
an excellent saw..
hope this helps

Chuck_050382
12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
I just picked up a Stihl 290 Farm boss last Wednesday and am very happy with it so far. It's a huge step up from the Poulan I had before.

Nathan Werneburg
12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
when u get up to a 20 inch bar and the prices start equaling between a neew hus and stihl id pay the extra 10 bucks and get the stihl i got a 310 recently and love it has 20 inch bar but will take like a 25 with alot of effort on the saws part used to have a polan and its junk compared what took me 2 hours before now is 20 minutes ok now go to stihl.com and husquavarna.com both sites have stats and prices the only thing that idsay is a major part is weather u want to buy from a dealer or department store if u want a dealer then stihl. the farm boss is the equal to my 310 and oh yeah they got rid of primers. started mine this winter after sitting for a month fired on third pull

DocHolliday
12-16-2008, 06:55 PM
How about PowerHorse chainsaws? They are sold by Northern Tool. I saw a 20in one for $200!

Croc
12-16-2008, 07:15 PM
If I were you I'd do some research on those PowerHorse saws, I personally have never heard of them.

Ken in NJ
12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
How about PowerHorse chainsaws? They are sold by Northern Tool. I saw a 20in one for $200!

I'd say it was a Chinese made saw .. like many items sold at northern

Did you happen to read all the good advise in the posts before this one ?

I am guessing not .. or your just ignoring the advise you asked for ..

AcreFarm
12-16-2008, 07:48 PM
The only $200 20" saw I found on Northern's website is a Poulan Pro. Looks identical to the 46cc "Pro" I bought at Tractor Supply 5 years ago. I'm not even going to get into what a waste of money that saw was, I ended up buying an Echo and I never looked back.
My advise is either increase your budget for a new saw, or hang onto your cash and keep your eyes open for a good used Echo or Stihl.

gc2310
12-16-2008, 11:02 PM
If at all possible, up your budget and buy a Stihl [from a dealer]. I would suggest an MS 260, pro series saw. A lot better built than the consumer ones. It will last you a lifetime.

DocHolliday
12-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I'd say it was a Chinese made saw .. like many items sold at northern

Did you happen to read all the good advise in the posts before this one ?

I am guessing not .. or your just ignoring the advise you asked for ..

Ken....
:Disgus:

I did read it all. I'm just asking a simple question. It doesn't hurt to ask questions, now does it? I just want to see if anyone has heard of this brand, etc.

I am still considering a Stihl....

I bet yer a Stihl dealer...trying to make me buy a Stihl....:ROF

munderhill
12-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I have a stihl ms310 i use for the big work and a poulan 16" with
an 18" bar i use for smaller work...
I have had the poulan for at least 10 years probably longer and
it has been an excellent saw, only thing i ever replaced on it
was the oil pump (this spring), if it ever wears out i will replace
it with a stihl ms170 because then i won't have to mix up
diff mixes for the saws, the poulan uses 40-1 and the stihls
50-1, but that would be the only reason as the poulan has been
an excellent saw..
hope this helps

You don't have to mix 2 seperate ratios. Either saw will run with either ratio with no ill effects. Just use quality oil. I run all my 2 cycle equipment and snowmobile @44:1 and have no issues whatsoever. Lawn Boy requests 32:1, Echo's require 50:1, Stihl's require 50:1, Artic cat with wankel rotary engine requires 40:1. I use golden spectro snowmobile oil. I use this only because I was given a gallon of it and refuse to buy individual bottles of Stihl,Lawn Boy, Echo etc. oils respectively until it's all used up. I have a nice measuring/ratio cylinder to get accurate mix. My equipment runs very clean actually.
These are my opinions from actual facts running equipment stated.
MU

Nathan Werneburg
12-17-2008, 08:35 PM
You don't have to mix 2 seperate ratios. Either saw will run with either ratio with no ill effects. Just use quality oil. I run all my 2 cycle equipment and snowmobile @44:1 and have no issues whatsoever. Lawn Boy requests 32:1, Echo's require 50:1, Stihl's require 50:1, Artic cat with wankel rotary engine requires 40:1. I use golden spectro snowmobile oil. I use this only because I was given a gallon of it and refuse to buy individual bottles of Stihl,Lawn Boy, Echo etc. oils respectively until it's all used up. I have a nice measuring/ratio cylinder to get accurate mix. My equipment runs very clean actually.
These are my opinions from actual facts running equipment stated.
MU

however this will void most warranties

CraftHorse
12-18-2008, 01:52 PM
I have this saw here...http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3290.aspx?nid=61053&pid=37022

I have had it for 5 years, and does more sitting than working. Great saw, pulls on the second pull everytime. I opted for the 18" bar.

DocHolliday
12-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Well I got a Poulan WildThing 18" for Christmas.....