Case 580B loader backhoe [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Case 580B loader backhoe

Caseguytoo
10-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Don't know if any of you guys have worked on one of these. My son-in-law was given a 580B from his father. He unscrewed the fill plug/dipstick on the transmission to check the oil level. The dipstick rod has one notch cut into to it but no other markings to indicate what the notch means.

The oil level was right at the notch and the tractor didn't want to move. So we added a gallon or two of HyTrans Case oil and suddenly it began to move. However, if you ask the tractor to climb a steep grade, it stops moving when it reaches a certain incline and that indicates that the trans is not as full as it should be.

Logic indicates that the notch is the "low oil" level but with no other markings, how do you know when to stop filling?

jazzyjeff
10-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Thats the fill mark.Was it checked while the machine was hot?It may of been so low that it filled up the trans pan then running it around some pushed the fluid thru the cooler and trans.Did you check after running it around?

tinkertoys
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
if it is like I think it must be checked hot and running. ( providing it is a shuttle trans.) must use case trans fluid or equivelent.

Caseguytoo
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Right now, the oil level is about an inch higher than that groove in the dipstick. When I started the tractor this AM, it didn't want to move in any gear so I let it sit for an hour while running in order to warm everything up. Then it was OK.

I know that I am putting the right oil in there but I have to wonder what others have used in the past and when the oil was changed last. This 580 has a four speed trans with the shuttle shift. I'm beginning to think that it might be really wise to let this unit warm up fully and then drop all the oil out. Is there any sort of filtration or even a screen for the trans/shuttle? I assume that the oil in the trans is used in the shuttle too.

This may be a dumb question but just how important is it to have new oil of the correct type in the trans?

tinkertoys
10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
There is a filter but I don't remember where. With out the right oil yhou will ruin the torque converter. If someone has put the wrong oil in there that may be the problem. I beleive the trans filter is in behind the side panels close to the dash.

Caseguytoo
10-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks. I'm going to speak with my son-in-law about this to see if he knows if his father EVER changed the oil or filter for the trans. At this point, I'd be inclined to drop the old oil and refill it with HyTrans plus a new filter but it isn't my money being spent. I suspect that it would likely take about 2 pails @ $100.00 per to do an oil change but someone needs to figure out what the heck is going on with this thing and fresh oil is the cheapest start.

If I can move him to do the oil change, I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for the info.

BLUEPAINT
11-20-2008, 05:12 AM
I forget what notches are on the stick but mine leaks a bit...Shes done 15000 hrs but i know she'll go as long as there's oil showing.
They like to warm up shell take a few minutes in the summer and in winter you can go for breakfast and then she's ready......Thats why you buy a jcb....:trink40:

Caseguytoo
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
OK, it was last October when I brought this problem to your collective attention but I finally got around to delving into it this past week. Warm weather makes a big difference in my motivation.

Initially, I fired it up, put the back wheels off the ground a bit with the stabilizers, popped it into fourth and then shoved the shuttle lever into forward. I left it run like this for about 45 minutes at around 1000 rpm so that all the oils would be nice and warm.

I then used the bucket and stabilizers to jack the entire tractor as high as it would go off the ground to make it easier to work on. Armed with a 1" open/box end wrench and two plastic 5 gallon pails, I noticed one drain plug just behind the engine itself, in the bell housing area. I figured that this was the one so I undid it and let the oil fall into one of the empty pails. About all I got out was 2 to 3 quarts.

That surprised me but since the tractor was on a pretty good angle to the rear, I figured that I had to open the next drain plug about a foot back from the first one. More oil came out but once it quit, the bucket was perhaps 1/3rd full at best. That really had me scratching my head because I expected more than 5 gallons. So back under I went again and found a third drain under the differential. This time I used the other empty pail. Good thing I did because the contents came real close to filling my bucket.

It was immediately obvious that the greyish crap that came from the last drain hole was totally different in viscosity to the oil from the first two drains. So, off I went to my local Case/New Holland dealer five minutes down the road. After considerable discussion with the Service Manager and the Parts Manager, it was decided to use the Case HyTran fluid everywhere since this was an old 580B and if a leak developed internally, no contamination would result.

After all, this unit has been permanently retired to occasional duty around the farm. No one's making their living from it and it rarely gets roaded anywhere. Armed with a new $20.00 filter and two pails of HyTran at a cost of about $210.00, back I went to the yard. The filter housing resides in front of the rad on the left side. Four bolts to take out with a 9/16" socket on a ratchet and the filter got changed. Just have to make sure that all mating surfaces are 100% clean and that you place the O-ring correctly.

I used some chassis grease to hold the O-ring in place the first time and the **** thing leaked on me. Pulled the top off, cleaned everything meticulously before putting it back together and that solved the leak issue.

One full pail of oil went directly into fill hole just behind the shift lever before the level was high enough to reach the notch on the stick. My SIL was under the impression that this was the hole for the shuttle. WRONG. After scraping about an inch of crud off the top of the transmission housing in front of the shift lever, I discovered a second fill plug. After washing this area clean with solvent first, I then opened up the fill plug and began adding oil from a gallon jug that I was filling with oil from the 2nd pail of HyTran.

Too hard to use the 5 gallon pail in this area because that fill plug is right up by the dash. It took around three gallons of oil to reach the mark on the dipstick. After checking everything for tightness, I started up the tractor and checked for leaks. That's when I dealt with the leaking filter housing mentioned above. Once that little problem was looked after, I dropped the tractor down to the ground and took it for a spin. What a difference. Put it into fourth and had no problem taking off at road speed. Put it into first gear and waded into a pile of topsoil dumped last year. Pushed right through that pile with no problem.

I am so pleased that this was nothing major. :praying: If it had been the shuttle, I doubt that my SIL would have wanted to spend the money to have it repaired. Thanks to one and all for the help given last fall. I'm going to make sure that the SIL keeps on top of these maintenance issues from now on. He's just as bad as his father is when it comes to looking after machinery.:hide:

It'l be a struggle but I think that he can be trained.:ROF

Ingersoll444
05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Isnt it nice when the simple stuff fixes a problem? :D :D

great to hear you got her working.

Robert M
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
You did get oil in all three cavities didn't you?

Had a friend drain all three like that once and a week later I was splitting it in half to rebuilt the tranny and rear end section. Haven't been around one in years couldn't tell you where to fill the the third section.

Caseguytoo
05-10-2009, 06:20 PM
There are only two fill plugs on the top of the transmission/rear end. The one behind the shifter and to the left is for the rear end. Five gallons of oil came out of the rear end and five gallons went back in. It took the full five gallons in order to reach the mark on the dipstick.

The one in front of the shifter and slightly to the right is for the transmission and shuttle. According to the dealer, there is an opening between the two cases and they share the oil. Since this fill plug is almost under the dash, I don't see how there could be a third fill plug in front of those two. The tractors shuttle is working just fine now. If you know of some fill plug that I've overlooked, I'd be glad to know about it.

glennj3
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I can not find out how to make a new post on this site so if you do not mind I will add on to this one since they are related and hope to find a good answer.

I have a Case 580 B Backhoe and are presently changing out all of the fluids and filters. I can not find the rear end drain plug. I find two plugs under the transmission and shuttle, they drained hydraulic or transmission fluid only no gear oil.
Can anyone point me to the rear end drain plug?

Thanks,

Glenn

wilberj
04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I can not find out how to make a new post on this site so if you do not mind I will add on to this one since they are related and hope to find a good answer.

I have a Case 580 B Backhoe and are presently changing out all of the fluids and filters. I can not find the rear end drain plug. I find two plugs under the transmission and shuttle, they drained hydraulic or transmission fluid only no gear oil.
Can anyone point me to the rear end drain plug?

Thanks,

Glenn

:Welcome1: