Wheel Horse 800! [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Wheel Horse 800!

slipshod
07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I don't know why I do it to myself, like I need another machine. Of course I do, that's why today I bought this tractor. What a beast it is, God I love iron. A friend of mine told me this was sitting at the side of the road with a for sale sign on it so I hopped in my pick-up and went to where he said it was. When I got there no tractor, but there was a fella sitting on the porch so I pulled in and asked if he had a Wheel Horse for sale, he said he just put it away for the night and wanted to know if I wanted to look at it. He opens the garage and there sits this beauty. "How much?", I say. He says he was asking $300.00 all day and did not sell it so he would take $200.00. Whipped out the money, borrowed his ramps, loaded my new toy up and headed home. It has a choke button, electric start, pull throttle, headlight switch and cigarette lighter on the dash. This man was 85 years old and did not look a day over 60 and he said he bought it new and had stored it for 15 years so it was time to get rid of it. He sharpened the blades on the deck, replaced both the throttle and choke cables, tune-up, oil change and lubed the whole machine. When I got it over to the farm I could not get my bride off it, seems she has taken a liking to older iron. This thing rips through six inch grass in high gear like it was meant for it.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/slipshodent/John%20Deere%204600/DSC00677.jpg

jodyand
07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Congrats Slip looks to be in good shape :fing32:

dirtybernie
07-21-2005, 11:51 PM
hey slip. i have the same one. mine needs paint big time!!! but it runs great and the plow does good grading ruts in the driveway. the best part is i traded 2 free craftsmans for it ROF ROF

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/dirtybernie/51f0cf30.jpg

MowHoward2210
07-22-2005, 12:15 AM
What a deal! What brand and size motor does it have?

Byron R
07-22-2005, 12:17 AM
But Bernie:: That looks Green ..Went to a guys house to a garage sale he was mowing ,,Got off to check me out...Looked over and his 2004 Jd was BLACK (bombcan)... Long story short he said they don;t Steal blackones...This was his third replacement in 2 yrs...Better paint that thing...Byron :trink40:

dirtybernie
07-22-2005, 12:21 AM
But Bernie:: That looks Green ..Went to a guys house to a garage sale he was mowing ,,Got off to check me out...Looked over and his 2004 Jd was BLACK (bombcan)... Long story short he said they don;t Steal blackones...This was his third replacement in 2 yrs...Better paint that thing...Byron :trink40:
ROF i will remember that! right now its in the middle of about 75 push mowers! so anyone trying to steal it should be carefull! ROF

professor
07-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Slip did you get a deal!
I was going home from work and saw a tractor with a sign for $175 - a 25 year old Sears with a blown rod, it turned out to be (the spindles brgs were shot too, but I didn't bother to tell the owner).
Wave your hand north and give us your blessing!

Mike

Juggler
07-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Nice save! And if you aren't aware, there are all kinds of attachments for that tractor. For $200.00 you got a *very* good deal! Congrats! :eck34:

bontai Joe
07-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Excellent!!!!! :fing32:

slipshod
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Here is a picture from the other side. A good wash job and a bit of paint is about all this machine needs.There are no dents or bad sheet metal on it and it mows quite nicely. Three speed tranny and a Tuchumsa engine, not sure of the horse power. Is a work horse just a model or do they all say that on the sides of the hood?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/slipshodent/John%20Deere%204600/DSC00679.jpg

slipshod
07-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Slip did you get a deal!
I was going home from work and saw a tractor with a sign for $175 - a 25 year old Sears with a blown rod, it turned out to be (the spindles brgs were shot too, but I didn't bother to tell the owner).
Wave your hand north and give us your blessing!

Mike
Professor,
Do you know that we are neighbors? I live in Derby, my flat farm is in Eden and my hill farm is in Napoli.

Juggler
07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
My book shows a 1971 WorkHorse 800. Look just below the dash, there should be a metal tag with the model and serial number. The model number is the one that you are concerned with. My book shows a "1-0100" for the 1971 WorkHorse 800. Work Horse is the model name for your GT, as my L-107 is a Lawn Ranger. The decals look correct to me, I believe you have a very good candidate for a restoration. Looks like it has a front hitch on it, if it looks "factory" to you, I'd ask the guys over at Yahoo groups about it. :eck34:

slipshod
07-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Juggler,
The paint on the tractor is in excellent condition just very dusty due to being stored in a barn without a tarp. Tomorrow I am going to scrub it down and see how pretty I can make it. The deck has some rust but overall is very solid, needs painted but there does not seem to be any decals on that would need to be replaced. The wheels are a bit rusty but no real damage, mostly dirty. The battery needs to come out and get cleaned up and under the hood needs some good cleaning also. I think a little TLC and elbow grease will go a long way with this machine. I appreciate your looking into what I have because I know very very little about wheel houses but I am a quick study. I will look and see if I can find a serial number in the morning, knowing where to look sure helps! Is there an E missing on this logo or was it made like that?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/slipshodent/John%20Deere%204600/DSC00680.jpg

Juggler
07-23-2005, 01:28 AM
Yup, there's a missing "E". Here's the web address "http://members.aol.com/carsnthrds" for "Mayhews Reproductions Wheel Horse Decals". His e-mail addy is "carsnthrds@aol.com". Don't worry too much about the deck, most guys don't display with the decks anyway. Keep it nice, just don't beat yourself up on restoring the deck. :eck34:

slipshod
07-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Today I gave the 800 a workout and it was up to the task. I mowed about 3 acres of lawn that was all of six inches high. The tractor performed well, mowed most all of it fairly short in second gear. My only complaint is it ran out of gas after about three hours or so. The deck does not skip or bog down, the engine does not smoke or make noise and the clutch, tranny and differential seems to work the way it should. I like the way the deck engages, real easy to reach if you have to shut it down in a hurry. I know this because I caught a pair of pants that was buried in the ground, must have been in the fill I moved to that spot. So I spent half an hour getting them untangled from the blades. One thing I know is no one will accuse me of trying to sneak up on them with this tractor, not the quietest one I have ever owned, but I kind of like that for some reason.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/slipshodent/John%20Deere%204600/DSC00678.jpg

slipshod
08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I got this tractor working well. It had a bad spindle on the mower deck, sounded like a jet taking off. Went to the Toro web site and I was able to find the deck and part numbers. My son took the spindle to work and attempted to press the bearing cartridge out on a 30 ton arbor press. It did not budge so he notched the outer race and let the ball bearings drop out. It ended up I bought the complete spindle and a new pulley because the old one rubbed on the bolts that held the unit in. The kit came with all new bolts and a new dome washer, the only thing I saved from the old one was the blade mount. So now I have $200.00 I paid for the machine and $122.00 in parts, plus my labor, not bad for a mower that works excellent!
I am very impressed with the Toro site and availability of repair parts for this tractor. The machine is a 1971 model.

Artpb
08-04-2005, 09:23 PM
IMHO Toro/Wheelhorse is the best for parts and online info for the older units. even 40 years back.

That 800 will give you many more years of service, and most parts will be easy to come by new and almost certainly used.

Art

professor
08-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Slip, No I didn't know where you are from, thanks for telling me but I'm still north of you and I want that blessing!

Mike

slipshod
08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Professor,
I been waving so much my arm is tired. Did it help?

professor
08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I think so, I'm in a better mood.

Mike