Help me operate my Wheel Horse tiller [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Help me operate my Wheel Horse tiller

I H8 UM
07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.hennosy.com/tiller.jpg

I recently purchased this Wheel Horse tiller. I am looking for a manual or someone who has one that can advise me on how to operate it. Here are my problems.

1. The tines do not move unless the tiller is running and the clutch is engaged. How am I supposed to pull the tiller to the location that I want to till if it doesn't roll?

2. When I engage the clutch the tiller functions normally, moving in a forward motion tilling the ground in its path. When I am done, I have to stop the tractor in order to turn around and disengage the the clutch. During this time the tiller continues moving forward. I do not have time to disengage the clutch without it trying to climb up the back of the tractor. What is the proper method of disengaging the clutch?

The issue I am having is that it doesn't appear to have a way to lift the tines off the ground. Is it possible that I am missing a part?

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

johnsonmk
07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Hi Rich,
I don't know anything about that thing but, it sure is cool. :fing32:
Mike

james66
07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
rich what model is the wheelhorse does it have a rear lift. more info please

Mrwiggles2
07-07-2008, 11:56 PM
That is the first I've ever seen one. Looks good, nice shape. But couldn't tell you how to use it... hope a bump helps you.

I H8 UM
07-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I hope you won't hold it against me, but it is being pulled by a Cub Cadet GT3100. There is no rear lift on the tractor. I think that is the issue. It is intended to be lifted by the tractor. I didn't realize that the old Wheel Horses had lifts on the back.

jschahl
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
What you have there appears to be the WT-244 (maybe a WT-242) Wheel Horse Tiller. I have one myself. You are correct that it lifts with the tractor. The tongue of the lift bar slides into the slot hitch. When you raise and lower the slot hitch, the unit pivots off the rear wheels to raise and lower the tines. You will not be able to make this work unless you have some sort of lift on the rear of your tractor. Since you don't have one, my advice would be that you should use this as trading stock and get yourself a Cub tiller. Please do not butcher this piece by trying to adapt it to your Cub. As Craig said above... first one he's ever seen... these are not necessarily rare, but they are getting to be hard to find. There is no "owner's manual", but if you'd like a copy of the parts list, send me a email through the board or a PM with your email address that I can send it to.

As a side note... you're not going to be able to use any tiller if you don't get some sort of rear lift kit on your tractor.

jschahl
07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Here is an image of the slot hitch setup on the rear of a Wheel Horse. It is raised and lowered by that cable at the top which is connected to the lift arm of the tractor.

http://www.geocities.com/ja_tee/bbdpics/Images/slothitch.jpg

Tmo
07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Or you can pick up an used Wheel Horse tractor to use with this tiller.:thThumbsU

I H8 UM
07-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I think picking up a used Wheel Horse might be the answer. To switch to a Cub Cadet tiller (I don't have rear PTO) would cost a lot more I think than an old Wheel Horse. I went to the Wheel Horse show this year and there were quite a few for just a few hundred bucks. Thanks for the info. I learned something.

Rich

I H8 UM
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Let me know if you know of any Wheel Horses with this sleeve hitch that are for sale in the Central Ohio area. Lower price the better. I don't even need a mower deck.

Old Dave
07-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Here is one in Ohio but don't know where...http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheel-Horse-Bronco-14-Hydrostatic_W0QQitemZ110269140861QQihZ001QQcategor yZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jschahl
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Rich, always happy to see another person getting a Horse! I would like to point out that you will want one that has either a hydro or six/eight speed transmission. The three speed's first gear is still a little too quick for using that tiller.

There are lots of Wheel Horses for sale in Ohio... in fact there is a large auction coming up in Canton... Canton Auction (http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=473259&kwd=%22wheel+horse%22). Keep in mind that you might find a nice one that doesn't have the slot hitch, but you can easily add that. They're on greedbay all the time. You also may find one that has a frozen lift cable.... not a problem, you can make you're own with parts from the hardware store, or use an auto brake cable cut to the right length.

Good Luck, and when you find your Horse... we want pictures!

I H8 UM
07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info on the Wheel Horses available in Ohio. I have a lead on one and I wish I could go to that Auction. That looks like a great place to get one. If only it were on Saturday instead of Thursday. Good info on the cable and the hitch. I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks again.

Rich

MaineDad
07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the WH Club :)

You can't just have one...

glenn27
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the WH Club :)

You can't just have one...

I sure wish you'd have clued me in on that a few years ago......:Stop:

oldandred
07-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Rich you may want to look into a three speed tractor with the speed reduction kit on it that lets you use the three speed tractor or a eight speed tractor its not for use on tractors with the rear lift some do all wheel horses do.
hope this helps