TZ18DA question [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: TZ18DA question

turbodiesel6_6
05-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone, i am new to the forums, and i would like to say thank you for letting me join. I have a kinda serious issue with this tractor. I have a 2004 TZ18DA, it is a diesel as everyone knows, my issue is when you are mowing with it or just pushing snow, or doing light work with it, after about and hour of running or so its idle will stumble down next to nothing and almost die. You could just be cruising along and running at top r.p.m. and it will stumble down to about idle and run really rough. It has to be running for a while to get it to do it. I have replaced both fuel filters, and air filters. We are using good fuel, the same fuel i use in two of my diesel pickup trucks. i have ran some power service through it with no results. I took it to the local New Holland dealer and they had the tractor for a week and couldnt duplicate the problem. I am running the tractor on flat ground also, so all fluids should be level. Dealer has no idea what it could be, i just know that when it starts doing it, if you want it to stop it, you have to shut it of for an hour or so, and it will run fine for about another hour and start all over again. We really love this tractor, dont want to get rid of it but if i cant solve soon i will have no choice. Thank you in advance.

NEWT92
05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Welcome to MTF Turbodeisel 6 6!! Must have a Duramax? I would say it sounds like your getting air into the fuel system somewhere. :confused: :goodl:Someone else will be along to help out. Oh yea, :wwp: .:thThumbsU

Ken in NJ
05-11-2008, 12:10 PM
:Welcome1: Turbodeisel

turbodiesel6_6
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
i will take some pics of the tractor soon, and yes a Duramax owner, and a 12 valve Cummins also. Im a diesel fanatic!!! I also have 8 semi's lol so yes a little diesel knowledge. I also suspected air in the system.... but i have put all new hose clamps on the fuel lines... so im still at a loss.

mhb@ufe
05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
We took a Kubota B2910 in trde that had a siular problem and it turned out to have a piece of a rag in the fuel tank that would restrict the fuel flow. Two things I would recomend are make sure your fuel cap is vented and make sure you are using good diesel fuel and not #2. The pump tolerances are so close in those small engines that #2 doesn't have enough lubrication for the plungers. I had a customer with a BX and a ZD Kubota having trouble with both. He changed fuel and his problems went away.

turbodiesel6_6
05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Hmmmmmm i will check in the tank.... and as for fuel, i have tried to run several diffrent additives to it, Standyne, power service, Lucas, and the list goes on and on..... i was out on it today and it started to do the rough idle missing thing even at low idle and then finally died, had a hard time starting back up, seemed like it lost its prime.... had to let sit for ten minutes before it would start again. Im beginning to wonder if the throttle control is going out, its mechanical but im not really sure, im sure they are very expensive!!!! BTW great site guys, im lucky to have found it!!!

JD3520turbo
06-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Could you have a plugged vent in the tank? When it dies again like that, try twisting the cap off, and if you hear a sucking sound, then you know the vent is not working. Not sure if the cap has the a vent or it is somewhere else, but that might do it. Also make sure your injectors are tight. I remember year ago when I worked for a Ford NewHolland dealer, we had a new 50hp tractor come in and it miss fired right off the transport truck. Turns out, one of the injectors were loose and that was it.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

dd85
06-18-2008, 07:45 AM
When the tractor dies, look at the fuel filter bowl. is it full of fuel or does it have air in it?