will Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper pick up thatch [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: will Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper pick up thatch

cooltimbers
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I bought and used one of the tow behind thathers. My question now is will a tow behind lawn sweeper pick up the thatch?

I am also interested in first hand experience/opinions of lawn sweepers.

Thanks

Argee
04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
It should pick up any maerial that is laying on your lawn. If it (the thatch) is somewhat imbedded you may have to run over it twice. I have a Brinly Hardy sweeper that I use primarily to pick up pine needles and it does an excellent job.

bontai Joe
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I've used lawn sweepers for over 20 years. They work great at picking up leaves, grass clippings, pine cones, small sticks and dog poop if it's on the surface of the lawn. If you pull the thatch up so that it is free of the turf, you can sweep it up. Since the sweeper brushes are ground driven by the wheels, look for aggressive tread on the tires and that the unit has a little weight to it, to provide traction. They will sometimes slip and not sweep if the leaves or clippings are so thick that the wheels loose traction. Any specific questions you have on sweepers and their uses? Please feel free to ask.

Varmint_304
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Caveat, I've only used my sweeper twice.

If you set the brush height a little on the low side, it will rough up about 40% of the thatch. A second pass will collect it. However, if you are like me and have a less-than-plush lawn, the low brushes can rip up loose sod or moss.

I also purchased the dethatcher attachment for my sweeper: a Craftsman, made by Agrifab. This does a better job (50-60%) of loosening the thatch, but it's not a perfect solution either. The tines on the dethatcher ride close to the tires. (Close enough to force me to buy a tire plugging kit.) You also have to sweep the yard clear before using the thatcher, or it'll get clogged with twigs, sticks, and other debris.

As a sweeper, I give mine an A-. As a dethatcher, I give it a C.

munderhill
04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
As all have said, a sweeper will pick it up fine. my Ingersoll sweeper worked fine doing exactly what your wanting, last fall.

MU

bontai Joe
04-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Just a reminder that they will sweep up dog poop, and other animal poop, and the occasional snake (I've had one in 20 years get swept into the basket).

simple_john
04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Just a reminder that they will sweep up dog poop, and other animal poop, and the occasional snake (I've had one in 20 years get swept into the basket).

my sweeper has a dethatch unit attached to it.. saves a step... and yeah joe... in the spring, it works great for dog crap pickup.... especially after a long winter :Stop:

Argee
04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I bought and used one of the tow behind thathers.
He already has it thatched....he's just looking to pick up the spoils.

johnboggs21
04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
just did that this weekend. went over the lawn with the dethatcher then took the 42 in. craftsman sweeper over it and it picked up all the leaves from fall and the thatch and pine needles and pine cones and whatever else was there. had about two pickup loads of leaves and thatch and whatnot

Mark / Ohio
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
That's the way I do it, tow behind dethatcher and tow behind sweeper. One thing though is that thatch weighs up faster than leaves or other debris. The dump rope gets a wee bit heavy if you try to fill the bag too full.

edro
04-22-2008, 06:41 AM
I have a 42 inch Craftsman High Speed sweeper and it picks up everything too. Even acorns. It seems to me to dethatch some on its own. I am well pleased with the job it does. If you set the brushes too low they will drag and make a nice furrow in your lawn with the wheels until you notice that they are not turning. I would go for the high speed in whatever you decide to buy. Just my 2 cents worth of advice for free. Edro