Backfires when I turn it off [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Backfires when I turn it off

queen of spades
03-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi everyone!

My tractor (SS12) has been working great since last month. I've worked two tilling jobs and have another this weekend if the rain avoids us tomorrow.

And today I mowed my grass for the first time this year. It turns so much better with the ag. tires on the front.

So, I have question. When I turn the tractor off it stops running, then 4-5 seconds later I hear a loud POP out of the exhaust. What is that? Should I be worried about it?

Mr Jimi
03-29-2008, 01:26 AM
easy fix, bring the RPM down and let it idle for about 20 seconds, then shut it off

grapeknutz
03-29-2008, 08:43 AM
easy fix, bring the RPM down and let it idle for about 20 seconds, then shut it off

:ditto:

Ingersoll444
03-29-2008, 08:48 AM
What motor is in it? The old Kohlers are known for this. The problem is that the ing is cut when you shut it off, but the heavy flywheel, and big displacement, still pulls a lot of raw fuel in. Well when that raw fuel hits the REAL hot muffler....POW!!!. As was said, bring the revs down, and let it idel for a little bit. It will allow the muffler to cool, and the motor will make fewer rev's, after the ing is shut off.

Rodney in VA
03-29-2008, 09:09 AM
queen of spades:

:ditto: on the above info. My Cub Cadet 2518 (Kohler Command twin) used to jolt the heck out of me firing off after shut down. I followed the same advice and it cut it down almost 100%. I would let it idle for a minute or two to let the muffler cool down and allow the engine RPMs to drop. The closest example I can relate it to would be like a NASCAR car when they let off the gas when entering a turn and you see the burst of flame exiting the tailpipe. It is just a dump of raw fuel into a hot exhaust and then detonation. :fing32:

simple_john
03-29-2008, 09:09 AM
personally, i enjoy the ol backfire... it keeps my dog on his toes :sidelaugh

with mine, they said to keep the idle at 1/2 or 2/3's and let it idle for 20 seconds or so.. and that prevents the backfire...

blu appreciates it when i follow those rules.. :biglaugh:

lawnmowertech
03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
personally, i enjoy the ol backfire... it keeps my dog on his toes :sidelaugh

with mine, they said to keep the idle at 1/2 or 2/3's and let it idle for 20 seconds or so.. and that prevents the backfire...

blu appreciates it when i follow those rules.. :biglaugh:

:sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh nice one there pooorr blu

queen of spades
03-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Well mine is probably backfiring because I have two mufflers on it! It's nice and quiet now, which I like. :)

Small Fry
03-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Well mine is probably backfiring because I have two mufflers on it! It's nice and quiet now, which I like. :)

What kind did you use ? any photos ?

queen of spades
03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
You can kind of see it in this photo:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/queen_of_spodes/A%20Girl%20and%20Her%20Tractor/2008-03-29_till_lawn/S6300769.jpg

Mr Jimi
03-29-2008, 04:57 PM
You can kind of see it in this photo:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/queen_of_spodes/A%20Girl%20and%20Her%20Tractor/2008-03-29_till_lawn/S6300769.jpg

very nice trailer but I think you need stronger chains to hold your tractor down :sidelaugh
Just kidding, ya did fine
:goodl:

Small Fry
03-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Ok I see, maybe the muffler runs hotter then before, and like the guys said a little gas.

Make sure you don't catch the muffler on anything. I tore one right out of the block one time. I caught it on a swing set chain while mowing after dringing. :biglaugh:
It broke out a piece of the block and threads but I was lucky and able to get back in, but the block was ligthter in weight after that. :fing20:

Dude11
03-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone!

My tractor (SS12) has been working great since last month. I've worked two tilling jobs and have another this weekend if the rain avoids us tomorrow.

And today I mowed my grass for the first time this year. It turns so much better with the ag. tires on the front.

So, I have question. When I turn the tractor off it stops running, then 4-5 seconds later I hear a loud POP out of the exhaust. What is that? Should I be worried about it?

Got a Snapper with the same thing.It kinda helps me stand up straight up after riding for awhile.:sidelaugh

Tractor-Holic
03-29-2008, 09:13 PM
The two "women" who live next door to me bought a John Deere rider mower last year,and it does the same thing!--I got quite a laugh the first day I saw them taking turns mowing with it--when they shut it off they left it running at full speed,and I heard -booohhhhhhhhhggggggg-------BOOM!..and a female shriek/scream I'll never forget!..:biglaugh:

Evidently they didn't figure out why it does that yet,I hear it backfire just about every time they use it!.--and I saw the John Deere "mobile service" truck in their driveway a week or so ago,I bet they are having it looked at ,to find out why its backfiring..(either that,or replace the starter,they shut it off and re-start it about every 100 feet!..)

I used to be friends with them,and fixed their mowers, and did many repairs on their house and yard for them for years,even went to dinner and concerts with them for some time,thought they were "good neighbors"--then they must have come into some money,they got snooty, and felt I was "below them" or something,didn't want to socialize with me any more--they decided to knock down the old house,and build a brandy new modular home,bought 2 new trucks,and have a shed built--and they no longer need me,so I have nothing to do with them now..they did the same to a relative of theirs who lives a few houses away too,who put them up while the house was being built--they no longer speak to him!..nice people we have living around here..:duh:

But I LAUGH at them every time that JD backfires!..:sidelaugh :lalala:
It's more fun than watching the Three Stooges,every time they mow the lawn!..I cant wait till spring!..:biglaugh:

Ken in NJ
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
very nice trailer but I think you need stronger chains to hold your tractor down :sidelaugh
Just kidding, ya did fine
:goodl:

QOS .. get ride of those chains.... your gonna scratch up that nice paint Job !! :duh:

Get your self two nice sets of ratchet straps .. much better for the paint job .. :goodl:

Ingersoll444
03-30-2008, 06:24 AM
when they shut it off they left it running at full speed,and I heard -booohhhhhhhhhggggggg-------BOOM!..and a female shriek/scream I'll never forget!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can SOOOOOO see the picture!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Rodney in VA
03-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Tractor-Holic:

Good story... it sounds like these two ladies needed something to scare the Ba-G-Bees out'a them. They sound like a couple of low character users. :Disgus:

armallard
04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Ok, don't want to hijack the thread but mine is doing the same thing....checked the solenoid under the carb. today to make sure its working correctly and it is. When its setting there idle it seems to pop a little but sounds pretty smooth. I tried to throttle it down and it still pops. I did notice the air breather around the rubber frame has gotten hot sometime or another. Almost forgot its a 19hp Courage with a Kohler engine. Running to lean or rich? Idled too high? I'm out of solutions. Need Help:banghead3 :banghead3 Also love the website

conj9@usol.com
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Can also get carb. bowl with solenoid valve that shuts off fuel instantly when key is turned off. The're on most newer lawn tractors.
One poor fellow near me burned down his barn because of the backfire next to dry hay. Didn't pay attention and lost a barn full of equipment including his grandpa's '41 Merc coupe.

dgtractorbreath
07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
my 03 dgt6000 gets shut down at full throttle. otherwise B A N G ! <kohler> if i remember the book says full throttle shut down.

LLigetfa
07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I remember as teenagers, some guys would cut the ignition on their car for a second to make them backfire. I saw a muffler get blown wide open from a guy doing that.

I always throttle down before shutting off the engine.

attorney_barnabas_collins
07-23-2009, 08:59 AM
I used to drive a dodge dart with a 318 and a bad exhaust valve. It would do a huge backfire about 30 seconds after you pulled into a parking space and shut it off. I have no idea to this day why it took so long but I gave many an innocent passerby heart attacks!

I think the worst one though was when I was driving an old Henry J hotrod and the cheapo holly 600 spit out its plastic choke plate somewhere along the line and I went to pass a guy on the highway and she just kept going full guns after i let off the gas. I shut off the ognition, let it slow back to about 50 from 80mph and turned on the ignition again after goosing the gas a couple of times and freeing up whatever was stuck in preperation to starting it again.
Blew both the new turbo oval mufflers into a round shape!

The plastic choke plate had got sucked into the secondaries whenever I floored it to pass and was stuck open.

Not really relevant to the thread but was the mother of all backfires!

Sailingamerican
07-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I am the same way. When my wife turns me off I break wind and backfire. Got to shut er down slooooooow. :sidelaugh

Brett-JDX748
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I had a bad module in the column of my 71 Dodge Demon and I crammed a 515 horse worked over 440 in the car. One day I could not get it to start, I cranked, and cranked, and pumped, and cranked.. And it finally started.. When it did.... It turned two brand new oval thrush's into round models :)

My bud has a 78 Camaro with a wild 327 in it. When he first got the car the guy said the engine was "fresh" (and it was) but the Holley was leaking down on the secondaries. Each time we'd shut the car off, you could time it.. one.... two..... three... four.... five.... six..... KABOOOM!

We pulled into McD's on a fourth of July night with the car and did the six second thing as we walked away (tons of people in the parking lot, enjoying fireworks). They gave us a "**** YEAH! WOOOOO!!!" LOL!