Need help with Farmall H [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Need help with Farmall H

Wild Bill 83
07-12-2005, 12:18 AM
I have a 1951 Farmall H.

A quick 'history'.

Recently, it was running terrible, and after tracing the problem to the 'seat' in the carb working loose and shutting off the fuel flow by pushing down on the float tab, and fooling the float into thinking the bowl was full........I decided to go ahead and completely rebuild the carb, make sure the govenor is properly set, adjust the valves, put some new gaskets on the engine, and give the ol' girl a complete tune up..points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and even a new battery (the old 6v is 4 years old....).

I have bought the parts catalog, and service manual for the tractor in preperation for the undertaking.

The 'problem'.

While studying the service manual....I have found that this manual (a reprint of a 1947 manual) shows absolutely nothing about the distributor....only a magneto! Also, there is no procedure outlining how to set the valves, or what the clearances should be :fing20:

So........If anyone could please:
1- Post the gap for the points in the distributor.

2- Post the proper procedure/order, etc, and the clearances for the intake and exhaust valves.

If someone has a scanner, and would be so generous as to scan the pages from their manual covering these issues, and e-mail them to me...(so I could print them out, and put them in my manual for future refrence)..I would be most appreciative! :hatsoff: :fing32:

My e-mail is: needforspeed83@sbcglobal.net

Thanks in advance!!!

caseman-d
07-12-2005, 01:00 AM
I have a 1951 Farmall H.

A quick 'history'.

Recently, it was running terrible, and after tracing the problem to the 'seat' in the carb working loose and shutting off the fuel flow by pushing down on the float tab, and fooling the float into thinking the bowl was full........I decided to go ahead and completely rebuild the carb, make sure the govenor is properly set, adjust the valves, put some new gaskets on the engine, and give the ol' girl a complete tune up..points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and even a new battery (the old 6v is 4 years old....).

I have bought the parts catalog, and service manual for the tractor in preperation for the undertaking.

The 'problem'.

While studying the service manual....I have found that this manual (a reprint of a 1947 manual) shows absolutely nothing about the distributor....only a magneto! Also, there is no procedure outlining how to set the valves, or what the clearances should be :fing20:

So........If anyone could please:
1- Post the gap for the points in the distributor.

2- Post the proper procedure/order, etc, and the clearances for the intake and exhaust valves.

If someone has a scanner, and would be so generous as to scan the pages from their manual covering these issues, and e-mail them to me...(so I could print them out, and put them in my manual for future refrence)..I would be most appreciative! :hatsoff: :fing32:

My e-mail is: needforspeed83@sbcglobal.net

Thanks in advance!!!

Try going to tractordata.com and also ytmag.com has a place that gives you the information you are looking for. You may want to invest in a I&T manual that gives you more information and specs on the mechanical side of things.
caseman-d

Ohioplowboy
07-12-2005, 02:08 AM
sigh! do I gotta do everything! I have a 1950?? I think H and HV manual that I could lend you. I'd give it to you but it was my grandpas after all...you know. 'Sides, the "lazy ****" that has 50 acres of straw down did actually show up today...right after the last bale fell off the elevator. Cody and I got 1200 up by ourselves. 400 bale moved three times...but they dont get any lighter the decond adn third times. Help for use of a manual seems more than fair!

I set my valves on the ripazz M to .020, they do clatter a bit at cold idle but at least I know they are fully closing. I think they were supposed o be set at .018-.019 hot. The clatter isnt noticeable unless you get right up on it and listen for it.

Wild Bill 83
07-13-2005, 12:21 AM
:fing20:

With 'plowboy's post mentioning the operators manual............it got me to thinking. So I went to the garage/shop...lol.....and had to hunt a while, but...................I found my H & HV Operators Manual :fing32:

It has the procedure for setting the valves in it.....even has a fancy 'picture'...lol

However, it is also a reprint of an 'older' manual, and only shows a mag...... :banghead3

Thanks caseman-d! I forgot to check the ytmag site for the tune up specs, I have never had to 'wrench' on the H much, so hunting repair info drew a blank.............

I can't remember if I have an I&T or not.the last time I had to work on the H, I'm thinking I bought one at TSC...I wasn't impressed...too many "Disassembly is obvious", lines in it.....it seemed to assume that a guy had been trained on the repair before, and just needer a quick refresher. I might have chucked it in the 'round file' :hide:

Jason: Thanks for jogging my memory :trink39:

It says the H gets set at .017 hot.

Don't forget to let me know about Sunday!!

Ohioplowboy
07-13-2005, 12:32 AM
ahh my friend. I got moved over to Greenes place east of maplewood on maplewood road, we took 700 or so bales off maybe 8-10 acres, by the time i got moved over there and set up it was nearly 4 oclock and I sent the 4020 and baler to the house by 8. Am running out of places to put this, nothings panned out on selling out the field yet, but need to get it up. Any ideas?

Maybe Heathers dads 42X64' pole building. its not too far away........

again,why do I do this>?

Wild Bill 83
07-13-2005, 01:41 AM
ahh my friend. I got moved over to Greenes place east of maplewood on maplewood road, we took 700 or so bales off maybe 8-10 acres, by the time i got moved over there and set up it was nearly 4 oclock and I sent the 4020 and baler to the house by 8. Am running out of places to put this, nothings panned out on selling out the field yet, but need to get it up. Any ideas?

Maybe Heathers dads 42X64' pole building. its not too far away........

again,why do I do this>?

ROF

Dude...............you better give my cousin a call.......it's about time to make some $$, and not have to handle it so much. :fing32: :trink40:

Ohioplowboy
07-13-2005, 09:53 AM
I called your cousin about 11 am Tuesday morning, Nice guy, gave me the phone numbers I needed but I didnt have any luck getting ahold of the straw guy. Have a guys number from north of springfield I might try yet.

Fusion1970
07-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Im a greenhorn, but a quick learner. If you need some help, I would be more than glad to do so. ****, I could make a few bucks and learn something at the same time. :)

Greg