Craftsman leaf blower won't stay running....help! [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Craftsman leaf blower won't stay running....help!

Edward
09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a craftsman gas powered leaf blower model 358.797030 I think its 25cc

It hasnt run for awhile so I went to get it going today since I am in the 2 stroke mood :woohoo1:

When it was running (yrs ago) it did fine; but then it developed a problem where it would start and run fine but only for about 5 to 10 seconds then gradually die, the rpm just nosedived, not sputtering and coughing/chugging like low on gas. More like the kill switch got it (but the kill switch didnt get hit). Then it eventually wouldnt even do that.

So opened it up, found fuel lines were cracked - broke from carb all way to fuel filter inside the tank. So I changed the lines out. Sadly not with new ones, but robbed from 2 other dead blowers - but their fuel lines were in good condition.

Got it back together and it started right up although the recoil doesnt retract the rope well. But after running it a few times, now it is back to doing the dying out thing; starts, then rpm goes to zero in about 5 to 10 seconds.

Has gas.
Clean looking fuel filter.
Can see fuel move thru primer (should primer line reach to inside and bottom of tank? Sears parts image is not clear...)
No diaphragm leaks on carb.
Must have spark because it starts but since it dies I dont know if thats the problem.

So has anyone else had or has this kind of problem and if so, whats the fix?

I would like to keep this unit, it is rated 185mph and it decent. will look for new lines and filter tomorrow but wanted to ask here first.

Thanks in advance for the help

Milwaukee
09-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Is your leaf blower's color is black with gold? That what I have same problem. I did try clean carb and it clean very good but will run when I keep pour sea foam or gas though carb but most it run for short.

And you won't believe they use plastic crankcase

Edward
09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes. Same.
I am going to swap out with new lines, new filter and let you know how it goes unless someone here has a fix. maybe we can get both of ours fixed!

Milwaukee
09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
That one I got my one from my uncle he told me it never run right and try adjust carb then gave up and bought homelite then gave up because recoil won't roll so he bought husky backpack blower.

He say it is worst one that he have and he never use vacuum leaf because it was not run good.

I was inspect that and couldn't believe they use plastic mount for carb to engine. I would like that run so we can vacuum tons of leaf we get every fall.

I don't know but my opinion it not worth to fix because my blower won't run for long and your blower won't run for long. If it is stihl or echo or redmax or good brand I will keep work until I gave up.

Edward
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Dan, if I find an inexpesnive and good fix for it, I will certainly pass it along. I wont pay more to fix it than what a new one costs, thats for sure. Now if it were a 2 stroke lawnboy...thats a different story!

When this one worked it worked great for me. I got it 2nd hand from the guy across the street who owns a landscaping business; he gave it to me when he went to a stihl backpack type of blower that can flip small Volkswagens and de-fur cats.

Milwaukee
09-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I can see why he went to Stihl because they still make good of those but it was very expense to buy new. I just wait for someone gave up stihl so I can get that.

For lawnboy 2 cycle I will keep it because I read on this and it seem to be good lawn mower.

for that craftsman blower it was cost 90 dollars. For Stihl small blower it cost 160 or 180 dollars.

echoman
09-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Pull apart the carb Ed, clean it well and install a rebuild kit/new diaphrams.

Edward
09-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Pull apart the carb Ed, clean it well and install a rebuild kit/new diaphrams.

Echoman to the rescue! LOL :trink40:

I am heading to the Sears place in a little while I hope they have them in stock.

Would like to get this running - use an electric one now but its a :sterb003: :eck13: to haul around a 100' extension cord and time is limited.

Having a gas powered will cost more than electricity but cut my time WAY down.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes :thanku:

echoman
09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Take the numbers off the carb-should be a Walbro WT? Maybe. Any small engine shop should stock basic rebuild kits for this carb, or at least have you one in 2-3 days. Pay close attention to diaphram/gasket order. It's crucial in these types of carbs.

Mowerman
09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Edward, could be a bunch of stuff on the fuel inlet screen in the carb., it's on the fuel pump side of the carb.(the cover with one screw in the center, if a Walbro).
I highly recommend rebuilding the carb. as posted.
The Poulan built blowers( at least what I've seen), are bad for the cylinder screw's to loosen, and you have an air leak.
you can check by removing the muffler, you should be able to see the bottom one of the two.
If the bottom one is tight, grab the spark plug and wiggle, the crankcase should move with the cylinder.
It's usaully the bottom one that's loose since it's closer to the muffler.
Good luck, Tony

Kbeitz
09-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Kinda sounds like the gas cap is plugged making a vac. in the tank...

Milwaukee
09-24-2007, 09:58 PM

When you answer that so I went to garage few min ago try run without gas cap no it still stop after run for 5 sec:Disgus:

Edward
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM

i thought it might be that but checked the cap and it even leaks out the vent. I thing the guts of the cap are assembled right. Has a small stopper looking thing against the vent opening and then another cover over that with this keeper (I dont know what to call it) that goes into the tank to hold the cap to the blower when you unscrew it...

Edward
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Edward, could be a bunch of stuff on the fuel inlet screen in the carb., it's on the fuel pump side of the carb.(the cover with one screw in the center, if a Walbro).
I highly recommend rebuilding the carb. as posted.
The Poulan built blowers( at least what I've seen), are bad for the cylinder screw's to loosen, and you have an air leak.
you can check by removing the muffler, you should be able to see the bottom one of the two.
If the bottom one is tight, grab the spark plug and wiggle, the crankcase should move with the cylinder.
It's usaully the bottom one that's loose since it's closer to the muffler.
Good luck, Tony

I will check it tomorrow. So possible cylinder loose and also rebuild the carb. I hope Sears has the kit for it. And I hope I have better success at finding that than I do at finding synthetic oil

Mith_J
09-25-2007, 02:24 PM
While you have the exhaust off, check it isnt blocked, or restricted.