Gas Can Diesel Can [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Gas Can Diesel Can

dueces62
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
We have a few different places that we mow or work on and sometimes I have to use the gas can to get diesel or the diesel can to get gas. Surely just a little gas in the diesel or a little diesel in the gas won't hurt anything will it??:i_praying

lt230s
06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
If you talking about an ounce or two left in 5 gallon can, I wouldn't think so.
They let you fill up with diesel/gas in wrong color can? Here you have to have red can for gas, yellow for diesel, & blue for kerosene.

dueces62
06-27-2007, 12:10 PM
We have several credit card type places that nobody actually works at so nobody knows. Must be an Iowa thing huh?

munderhill
06-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I run a little gas in my VW in the cold winter months to prevent gelling. Never had a problem.

MU

lt230s
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
We have several credit card type places that nobody actually works at so nobody knows. Must be an Iowa thing huh?
Not really. In NY we have self service, so I've done the same thing. But next door in NJ where an attendant must pump, they raise a stink, unless you get someone whose light is only half lit, then you might get lucky.

bontai Joe
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd be real afraid that I'd end up putting the wrong fuel in the worng machine. So I'd avoid using the wrong can if at all possible under any circumstances.

raytasch
06-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Do it all the time, been doing it for years. I do all my own fueling and never have trouble determining what is in the can. If I am going to let a can set a while with diesel in it I wire a tag on the handle. I keep a couple tags in the truck. Fairly common practice in cold areas to mix a little gas with diesel to aid cold weather starting with the older diesel engines.
Some of you boys and girls have too much government if it tells you what color can you must use for fuel. Ditto on an attendent pumping fuel. That went out a hundred years ago in most areas. :sidelaugh Think I'd paint my cans multicolor. Dayum, I feel sorry for some of you folks.:trink40:
I wonder what the attendent would say when he saw my old steel original paint BLUE five gallon can (in perfect shape) that clearly says "OIL" And in fine print says something like "For all petroleum products."

bontai Joe
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Do it all the time, been doing it for years. I do all my own fueling and never have trouble determining what is in the can. If I am going to let a can set a while with diesel in it I wire a tag on the handle. I keep a couple tags in the truck. Fairly common practice in cold areas to mix a little gas with diesel to aid cold weather starting with the older diesel engines.
Some of you boys and girls have too much government if it tells you what color can you must use for fuel. Ditto on an attendent pumping fuel. That went out a hundred years ago in most areas. :sidelaugh Think I'd paint my cans multicolor. Dayum, I feel sorry for some of you folks.:trink40:
I wonder what the attendent would say when he saw my old steel original paint BLUE five gallon can (in perfect shape) that clearly says "OIL" And in fine print says something like "For all petroleum products."

I think that NJ is the last state that actually forbids folks to pump their own gas. I've heard politicians say it's a safety issue, which to me is an insult to every resident of the state. Apparently the people are smart enough in the other 49 staes to pump gas, why some politicians feel NJ citizens are not up to the task is beyond my understanding.

Machiem
06-27-2007, 05:16 PM
The color of the fuel can is a DOT requirement. So, if you live in the USA, those laws apply to everyone.

Oregon has fuel attendants as well. Perhaps Mickey can explain why, but I was told it was mandated to create jobs.

lt230s
06-27-2007, 05:24 PM
I think that NJ is the last state that actually forbids folks to pump their own gas. I've heard politicians say it's a safety issue, which to me is an insult to every resident of the state. Apparently the people are smart enough in the other 49 staes to pump gas, why some politicians feel NJ citizens are not up to the task is beyond my understanding.
Joe,
What gets me is NJ stations pay someone to pump your gas, but they are 30 cents/gallon cheaper than NY which has self-service. Guess we need to pay that to keep those roads in tip-top shape.....which they're NOT!
Sorry, didn't mean to get off-topic.

sonny
06-28-2007, 02:19 AM
As far as hurting anything, you won't, BUT just be careful that you don't dump the wrong stuff in the wrong motor!!---Here in Il.-- we are color coded too BUT pump your own from the far corner pump with can sitting in the truck out of sight and being CASH customer helps a lot! thanks; sonny

dueces62
06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys...its always fun to hear how things are different around the country. About half the time when I need fuel in the tractor I just drive it to the station...that's Iowa though!

FarmallForever
08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Around here which is Augusta,GA all the station have signs on the pumps saying fuel must be put in appropriate container, But never seen anyone enforce it. My boss is too cheap to buy a gas can for the forklift so we use a 5 gallon bucket.

Mayor
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
In the backround I have a total of 8 5.5 gal race jugs. Just put a yellow stripe on two with plastic paint and I was good to go. I even put 2305 only on it. Did not want to spend the cash on new cans plus I do not have the room. :thThumbsU
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/1Mayor/snowready.jpg

BigD
08-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I saw what happens to a diesel generator after it was fueled with gasoline. It was a funny site for a while. The generator was backfiring and jumping up and down so hard it was walking away from the camping trailer until the electrical cord stopped the travels! I was running a 61 unit campground for emergency personnel just a few days after Hurricane Katrina struck in Mississippi. We had 61 generators running full time. Some gasoline and some diesel generators. In addition to the generator fuel tanks being color coded, I had the generators marked with bright yellow tags on the fuel tank for diesel, and red tags on the gasoline generator tanks. I also had “turn the engine off before fueling” stickers on the tanks. Then had the fuel separated in the fuel depot with diesel on the left and gas on the right in appropriate colored cans. Wouldn't you know someone grabbed a gas can and poured in their running diesel generator! :hide: Luckily he got the fuel cap on the tank and was walking away when all he.. broke loose. :praying: Some people had a lot of “book smarts” but they are “walking around dumb”. :banghead3 The poor generator was never the same after that miss-fuel incident.

bigangelman
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Yep those are federal regs for color of the can. It is OK the put diesel or Keorsene in the yellow or blue cans. Kero will burn in your diesel too, but besure to add some motor oil so that there is lube for the injection pump. I just painted a couple of my gas cans yellow to use the for diesel.

Tom

okieduc104
09-24-2007, 03:23 PM
The fuel can manufactoring (importers) are required now to idenify the contents that go into the can and the color the can should be. The new cans are different than the old cans (about double the cost of the old cans0 I bought a nice yellow can marked diesel to go with my umpteen red cans marked petrol. Self serve stations are required to post the signs about approiate containers. Have you ever took the time to read the signs?
Me neither!

HydroHarold
09-24-2007, 11:42 PM
My gas station still has a sign warning against the use of cell phones... Don't know if they're worried about inattentiveness or static electricity. Cell phones causing explosions has been proved bogus. Causing cancer of the brain yes, explosions no. :)

Mayor
09-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I have bluetooth in the car so I just roll the window down and pump the gas as I talk. It was a pain but not now!!!

okieduc104
10-14-2007, 02:37 AM
I told a noisy old hippie convenience store clerk That law applys to NEW cans, Mine were old models and the legislsture grandfathered them. He wanted some proof, I said well if they worked the way you say some one would have went around collecting them, I kept on filling my red can with diesel. I have 4 or 5 gas cans and decided to buy a new diesel can after asked him where I should pour it out at, and go to another station down the street.The auto parts store has a few older new cans and some really new ones with a different look for $10 higher. I bought the old new one.

Machiem
10-14-2007, 02:45 PM
The law applies to all cans, new and old. It's much like the new propane bottles. Nobody came around to collect the old ones that are missing the over-fill device. Law abiding people won't refill them.

If you don't believe me, contact your local law enforcement and ask them if it's acceptable to transport fuel in un-approved containers. I know people that were given tickets (I was with them) for transporting gasoline in Jerry-cans painted OD green instead of the required red.

danbike
10-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I saw a YUPPIE filling their Urban Assault Vehicle, SUV to those who have not been run off the road by one, holding a cell phone in one hand and a lattee in the other. As they blabbed on the phone, the gas kept spraying out of the hose all over the ground. Perhaps the state official where you live has seen the stupidity of cell phone users and is trying to get ahead of the curve. I didn't stay around, but I'll bet the argument between the station attendant and the Yuppie Dickhead would have been good enough for a TV show.

My gas station still has a sign warning against the use of cell phones... Don't know if they're worried about inattentiveness or static electricity. Cell phones causing explosions has been proved bogus. Causing cancer of the brain yes, explosions no. :)