Satin Balls: Home made dog Treat [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Satin Balls: Home made dog Treat

simple_john
03-09-2007, 11:57 AM
my dog (blu) is wicked skinny... He eats like i do.. but he looks like he's a refugee, and im a fat bastard :ROF

He's always hungry and always has a full bowl of food.. but cant get the weight on...

I figured id try 'Satin Balls' im told they feed dogs that are in need serious of weight gain these treats...
They are supposed to really add the weight to a dog...

simple_john
03-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Heres the recipe i followed to make the treats:

5 pounds ground meat
5 Cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2 cups raw wheat germ
cup oil
cup molasses
5 Eggs including shells
5 packets gelatin
Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls

this was a slight variation of a few recipes id found..
heres a link
http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html (http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html)

simple_john
03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
it was easy to make, i froze them and have given them to him frozen or thawed...

he seems to really love them...
:sidelaugh He'd better, the things cost me about 40$ to make... but i got about 150 of the things and they should last a while as a healthy treat.

They say the balls can be used as a substitute for food.. but IMO they are pretty rich to be giving a lot of them, so im just adding them as treats...

hopefully he will get up to 70 lbs instead of the 59-62 lbs he weighs now...

Ken N Tx
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
it was easy to make, i froze them and have given them to him frozen or thawed...

he seems to really love them...
:sidelaugh He'd better, the things cost me about 40$ to make... but i got about 150 of the things and they should last a while as a healthy treat.

They say the balls can be used as a substitute for food.. but IMO they are pretty rich to be giving a lot of them, so im just adding them as treats...

hopefully he will get up to 70 lbs instead of the 59-62 lbs he weighs now...

Have you given it your famous taste test??

Did you try one frozen and then one thawed??

:sorry1:

simple_john
03-09-2007, 12:27 PM

ill never live that down :ROF

No, they are raw... apparently dogs dont have issues w/E coli or salmonella.. But i do..

they did smell pretty good thuogh.. i considered nuking one and trying it... but Wheat germ sounded too healthy for my system... :sidelaugh

Argee
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Well I have to say he doesn't look skinny...just unbelievably fit...very muscular. Reminds me of Alice my Black Lab when she was young and svelte. My dogs have always eaten at will. I just think that's the weight they should be at unless theres something wrong with them.

My other concern is now that you've made this is that your going to indulge in it.:omg: :Stop:

dyt4000
03-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Satin Balls? I thought this was going to be another one of USN_ED's hooker stories...

Robert M
03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
ill never live that down :ROF

Whoa Nellie!!!! Back up the train. Somebody fill me in on this story

mbkerk
03-09-2007, 03:15 PM

:sorry1:

I was going to ask that... but better Ken than me! :hide:

How about throwing a couple on the grill John? :ROF

Steve (Magnolia, TX)
03-09-2007, 03:21 PM
How about throwing a couple on the grill John?

I don't know.... This'll probably put me in the... doghouse... (rimshot, please) along with SJ, but... They sound like they might make a tastey burger.... :hide:

dyt4000
03-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Whoa Nellie!!!! Back up the train. Somebody fill me in on this story

Read this thread...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=18394

You'll never think of ol' Simple John the same way... :thSick: :sidelaugh

Robert M
03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Read this thread...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=18394

LMAO, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes from laughing so hard..I can't wait for the wife to get home so I can show her this thread!!! John,,your just not right :sidelaugh

SunHawk
03-09-2007, 07:39 PM
SJ -
The very handsome Blu does look too thin - his ribs & spine should have a layer of fat on them - but otherwise he looks to be in great athletic condition.

First & foremost, has he always been this lean or is it a relatively recent problem? Has he been vetted in the past month or so, with a full blood panel and tests for parasites & thyroid function? Because he's a Boxer, you may want to check his cardio function too. Parasites, hyperthyroidism, and cardio issues often result in loss of body fat despite proper diet.

If there's no medical reason for the lack of body fat, investigate other possibilities. How old is he? If <2 yrs or so, he may not have completely bodied out & that can account for the leanness. I'd guess this is not the case because, judging from his muscles, he's bodied out just fine. (Boy Howdy, he's a doggie Stud Muffin!! :) ) Do his genetics indicate he will always have a lean physique? Does he have a high activity level that requires a quantity of food greater than what he's getting? Is he stressed? If he's still intact & there are nearby females in season, he may have a tough time keeping body fat. Maybe he just needs a different food. I think I read that you feed Canidae - it's a premium food, but it may be too "hot" for him & thus elevates his metabolism, which causes him to not develop & store body fat.

Satin Balls are good for weight gain; we've sometimes used them on Dobes that come into rescue in very emaciated condition. (BTW, dogs are indeed susceptible to salmonella. Several have contracted it & died as a result of being fed the BARF diet or having been given uncooked bones w/marrow inside.) A commercially available supplement that dogs love and works well to add weight is "Nupro". I prefer it to Satin Balls because of the safety factor (no raw meat that will spoil) and convenience - it's in powder form & is added to the kibble. It's available online through Omaha Vaccine, Revival, and probably other sites as well.

simple_john
03-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Sun-hawk: thanks for all the blu compliments..

He is gonna be 3 in july.... he's always been very thin, he was 64 lbs at one point but was down to 60 last time i weighed him.
I did stool samples last year but no blood work or samples recently - i plan to do them when he's due for shots in a month..

hes very active, not fixed and a wicked chicken - so he's sort of always stressed.. hes a very nervous dog... we call him Don Knotts :biglaugh:

ive been switching between blue buffalo (he seems to like that best) or canidae or chicken soup.. he eats a ton and is always hungry.. but runs like mad and is pretty active..

oh, and there is a female 'schnoodle' across the street that blu pretty much stalks... maybe he's just trying to look good for the schnoodle :fing20:

my other boxer was always thin till she got older... so i dont have a problem with a bit thin.. but blu could definetly use about 10 lbs IMO..

Ive not snipped him.. i know that should help.. but id prefer to keep him intact if possible..

thanks for the lead on nupro - ill look into that too...

thanks