best way to seal a frayed rope end [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: best way to seal a frayed rope end

simple_john
01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
is there a clean way to stop a frayed end of a nylon or plastic rope?

i usually just take a lighter to it, it works ok but is far from even looking...

is there a better was to 'neatly' seal and prevent a rope end from fraying and breaking apart?

glenn27
01-07-2007, 11:00 AM
A lighter or little propane torch 'melts' it together-wearing work gloves as, soon as the heat is off-I twirl or twist the rope end in the way it lays....then just trim off any excess...

freebird
01-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Duct tape tightly around the rope about 6 inches from the fray so the rope ie tight then cut through tthe tape, works great!

dirtyEd
01-07-2007, 01:00 PM
SJ, it really depends on how much effort you want to give it, the tape method works pretty good for most applications, unless the duct tape is exposed to any petroleum products.
There are lots of ways to accomplish this, here are a few ways I've used over the years.
You can try your hand at seizing/whipping the end.

http://www.scouting.org.za/resources/pioneering/Whipping.pdf

Iv'e also used electrical shrink tube, it works pretty good. Or you can duct tape it, cut it and then dip it into liquid electrical tape (made by Star brite).

You can also use a silicon (or any) adhesive packed well into and around the strands, then duct tape over it, and if the duct tape does eventually wear off the silicone adhesive will still hold it together.

On small (under an inch or so) line or rope you can cut a piece of copper or aluminum tubing slip it over the rope and crimp it on with pliers or a vice if you don't happen to have the actual crimping tool, then trim the tag end as desired.

Ingersoll444
01-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I have always used whipping. Sounds funny, but know what I use? Waxed dental floss. Works awsome, and minty fresh to boot. :D :D

Mickey
01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
My approach is the same as Glen27's. Little flame to the end and it will melt into a ball. Since we cook with gas, there's no looking for a source of a flame.

Dan Lovell
01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
USN ED should have the answer to this post.

Dan

Argee
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Yep...propane torch on a plastic or nylon rope and whipping on hemp or sisal.

LilysDad
01-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I usually use the torch but if you want to be fancy use a knife heated on the stove. Yes a knife you don't want.

dyt4000
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Yep...propane torch on a plastic or nylon rope and whipping on hemp or sisal.
:ditto:

Mower_Man42
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
If you have a Weller soldering gun they make a attachment that`s like a knife blade it gets hot and cut right throught the rope and seals the ends. We had one when I worked in a Taylor Rental and lawn mower repair shop, used it to cut starter cord all the time. You could make one using a hack saw blade and brazing it to the rod tips

Gene Wissink
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I like to see the Scouters jump in on these things. I will go with the whipping on the one, but which one? English or Sail makers? I use a separate pull string like heavy waxed thread if I am whipping because I can go under as many turns as I want. I would also go the shrink tubbing route if I wanted a quick way.

simple_john
01-07-2007, 07:16 PM
ok, now i get a reason to use my propane torch :bannana:

btw: whats 'whipping'?

LilysDad
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
A technique for wrapping the end of the rope with a smaller cord

Argee
01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
ok, now i get a reason to use my propane torch :bannana:

btw: whats 'whipping'?

Like Ed said......
http://www.scouting.org.za/resources/pioneering/Whipping.pdf

HydroHarold
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Plastic, nylon, dacron rope: Hold rope with thick rag in one hand with 4" sticking out. Heat evenly with propane torch (slowly to melt not burn), when everything is ooky and soft about an inch long remove heat. Allow to cool fifteen seconds and pull rope gently through rag. Object is to fuse outer fibers without making a tapered end. Trim end to liking.

Natural fiber rope: Cord whipping or dip 1.5" in Plastisol dipping stuff.

I never use any natural fiber stuff anymore. Mice like it. I always use propane as I always know where my torch is and I might take too long to find some whipping cord, duct tape or... "Now, where the heck did I put that open tube of sillycone...?" I'm sooo disorganized!:D

slipshod
01-08-2007, 01:38 AM
A string walks into a bar, sits down, and asks for a drink. The bartender points to a sign behind the bar, " NO STRINGS ALLOWED". The string goes outside, contorts himself, folds himself in half, ties his ends together, and pulls his fiber apart. He walks back in, sits down, and orders a drink. The bartender says, "I thought I told you no strings allowed." String says, " I'M a frayed Knot."