Decks [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Decks

Ingersoll444
06-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Well, we are starting to think of putting a deck up. Still at the "Thinking about it" phase, and realy have no concreat plans. Feel free to jump in with any tips for disigning, building, anything. Heres what we are thinking to start...

Don't want just a box on the back of the house. Want it a little diferent, but still affordable. We are also giving a thought to one day having a sunroom on the back of the house, so we are thinking of beefing up the framing in part of the deck for the transformation to a room in the future. Does that sound doable?

Anything else. I am open to any ideas. Thanks

MowHoward2210
06-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Get some of those "How to" or Deck Planning books by Ortho or Sunset that you usually see in the garden section, and get some ideas from there. Use your imagination while you get some of that info, and build exactly what you want.

i built and designed my own deck at my first house, and it was pretty unique--had a raised flower bed with storage underneath. Took longer than I thought ,and cost more than I thought, but it was a strong point when I put my house up for sale. I'll try to find some pics and scan them sometime.

Jim_WV
06-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Paul, yes as Mow mentioned get some books on deck how to's as they have lots and lots of ideas and designs. We bought a couple when we wanted to design one around our pool, but although the designs were great, we ended up with just a plain square one as the costs were too much for our budget. You can save a bunch of money by doing one yourself. They have some nice wood alternatives out there now that are maintenance free and if I was doing a deck today, thats what I would be looking at. Thats the only gripe I got with pressure treated wood is we have to stain ours about every two years and it's an all day job doing it right.

chipmaker
06-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Paul, your plans sound similar to ours. We want to put a deck on the east side of the house, towards the pond, and remove the double set of windows and install some french doors, and eventually move the hot tub to the deck and get more room on the patio in the back..........

You can easily turn a deck into a foundation for a room, but living where you do with frost lines etc, make sure you have the footing for the deck sufficiently deep enough. Lots of good books out there........but I have never been to keen on buying them myself........

I like the wood alternatives myself, but at the prices I wuld have to get a second mortgage to put up a deck........so odds are ours will be a PT deck.........unless the alternative materials come way down in price. Not too many folks around this region stain their decks.......they just let them wether to that gray green color, and pressure wash them annually. Heck even my pier that I had would clean up like new and it was over 20 years old..but it did suffer some checking and erosion of the softer fibers in the wood itself, but still looked good.

jdkubotamurray
06-16-2005, 09:05 AM
I did the deck myself (among many other things) on this new 4350 SQft house to save money. Built a 10x24 for just over $500, used all treated and 2x6 for floor, I always use 2x6 and have never been dissapointed. Liked the synthetic stuff, but too big $$ for this sized deck. The front 4x4 posts are in the ground, all others on 4' or 5' centers I used the 4x4 concrete footers THD and Lowes has. Used vinyl light gray Lattice, solid stained deck light gray to match house trim. Put access door under steps. Left one spot where my cats can get under the deck. Bolted deck to house on 2 sides with treated starter 2x10, drilled through brick morter to face/sill board on floor joists, angled fasteners upward. Capped post tops and used 2x4 vertical railing I built. Got the treated step stringers (4 steps) for a bargain $1 each at local building supply, steps are 4' wide with handrail. My house general contractor looked at my design and asked if I was going to park a bullldozer on it, so I'm a typical overdesigning engineer.

bczoom
06-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Paul,

A couple questions.
How big of a deck are you thinking of?
Is it near ground level?

I did what you're thinking of (transform part into a room later) on a previous house I had. What I did was actually put in a footer, block walls and floor joists (pressure treated) under that section of deck so everything was in place. At the right time, all I did was unscrew the deck boards and everything was ready to put in the room.

Although not 100% complete at the time, here's some pics of the neighbors deck that he and I designed/built.

Brian

Carm
06-16-2005, 11:02 AM
3 summers ago I did a deck with a neighbor who is saavy in those sort of things. 18 X 13. I live in a town house. I used 6X6 fro the supports and put a set mid way out too. 16" Centers on the joists and a double header board on the house. I'm gonna do the Chipmaker thing and knock out windows in lieu of french doors. Then redo my kitchen and brick up that door for a window. That should go down this summer. In my experience, the planning is the biggest step. Dig your footers properly! Make sure they are set right then it falls together pretty well. Good Luck!

chrpmaster
06-16-2005, 11:58 AM
a good friend of mine used those cement footers that sit on top of the dirt and 4 x 4 sit on them to build several decks. he attached the deck to the house but never dug any holes for posts. seems to be working out as I can see no movement problems after several winters. his decks are both real close to the ground so he was alittle more comfortable trying this setup than if he was building a two story deck but it sure saved lots of time and money not cementing posts in the ground. It also allowed him to move them around if he miscalculated thier location alittle. he then used the 12" on center joists just like a regular deck. I wiegh about 300 lbs and I cannot feel any movement when I walk on them.

just my .02

Andy

Ingersoll444
06-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Hear is a shot of the back of the house. As you can see it will be a little tough becouse of all the bumpouts. I would like to kinda desigh the deck to kinda blend in. Not just a rectangle tacked on to the back of the house.

Ingersoll444
06-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Paul,

A couple questions.
How big of a deck are you thinking of?
Is it near ground level?

I did what you're thinking of (transform part into a room later) on a previous house I had. What I did was actually put in a footer, block walls and floor joists (pressure treated) under that section of deck so everything was in place. At the right time, all I did was unscrew the deck boards and everything was ready to put in the room.

Although not 100% complete at the time, here's some pics of the neighbors deck that he and I designed/built.

Brian

That a nice deck Brian.
As you can see from my picture, I am nowere that high. Pretty much flat. I am thinking pretty big though. At least to the far side of the chimeny bump out, and over far enough to cover the heater/hotwater vents in the side of the house. Almost to that last window. On the grill side of the house, I am thinking of a real wide, around the corner stairs. Think bleachers and you have an idea what I am thinking about. My wifes sister has her's like that. and its real nice for partys. Lots of places to sit. Other then that I am open for ideas.

Ingersoll444
06-18-2005, 06:37 AM
One more thing, I was thinking of matching that window bumpout on that side of the deck. Mabe build in a builtin bench there. Thought that would look nice, and help make the deck look like a part of the house.

JDFANATIC
06-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Hear is a shot of the back of the house. As you can see it will be a little tough becouse of all the bumpouts. I would like to kinda desigh the deck to kinda blend in. Not just a rectangle tacked on to the back of the house.

Paul,

You started the thread looking for something a little different. I think you have the perfect set up for a tiered deck (that is if that is acceptable). What I would do, is make one deck at the level of the access door, perhaps 10 x 12 or 12 x 14. It would include the jog and continue over to the end of the left side of the house. Then I would step down, one or two steps (can't really tell the heights in the pic) and have that deck extend out to the end of the right side of the house. That might be more deck than you were thinking, but I'm thinking that would be the perfect entertaining set up!

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

JDFANATIC
06-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Paul,

You started the thread looking for something a little different. I think you have the perfect set up for a tiered deck (that is if that is acceptable). What I would do, is make one deck at the level of the access door, perhaps 10 x 12 or 12 x 14. It would include the jog and continue over to the end of the left side of the house. Then I would step down, one or two steps (can't really tell the heights in the pic) and have that deck extend out to the end of the right side of the house. That might be more deck than you were thinking, but I'm thinking that would be the perfect entertaining set up!

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

If I didn't make that clear, here is a quick sketch:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/grf58/deck.jpg

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

Ingersoll444
06-19-2005, 06:16 AM
WOW!! Thanks JD. Ya I was thinking something kinda like that also. Hight wise, if the lower level was at ground level, the upper one would probably have one step down to it, what would be perfect for sitting, lounging, etc. And you know with that kind of set up, you would almost elemanate the railing system, what would be a big cost savings. Thanks!!!

JDFANATIC
06-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Paul,

That's the way I like decking -- open as much as possible. Where the height is such that for safety reasons a rail is needed, I like to use low and wide bench seating, so as to not spoil the open effect.

When you're finished, post some pics!

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

Ingersoll444
06-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Finished??? Whats that? Never heard that word before? :D

Well, when we get going, expect to find at least start, and during pictures. I am not making any promeses on the finish part.:D

MowHoward2210
06-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Paul, here are some pics of a deck I built at my old house in 1991. I built almost all of it by myself.

The raised flower bed has a drainage system and storage underneath. It was my own idea and design. I'll post some construction pics in a new thread.

Just wanted to show that with careful thought (it took a lot of thinking!) and planning, you can build whatever you want. I used a deck building book to get basic construction procedures for the deck or platform, and copied the height of the benches from someone else's deck.

I started another thread with some more pics here (http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=3297) if anyone is interested.

http://www.homepage.mac.com/userosx/.Pictures/deck-MTF.jpg

http://www.homepage.mac.com/userosx/.Pictures/deck2-MTF.jpg

http://www.homepage.mac.com/userosx/.Pictures/deck-rsd-MTF.jpg

King of Obsolete
07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
wow those are some very fancy decks, now you guys will have southern belle wanting to up grade our deck in the "KINGDOM"
i built our deck all out of recycled material, the big beams came for a rail way bridge, the deck is from the VIA train staion which i got paid to remove from the tracks. the roof for the deck is a huge door from the mine site which i just put used pipe to hold it up. so other then welding rods and paint the deck cost us labour.

thansk

LEOLAV
07-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I have a screened in 16 x 16 square deck on the back of our house. I am thinking of enclosing it with sliding doors and putting a p.t. plywood floor w/ carpeting over it. My neighbor did it and it is really great during the summer. Plus, it will be a great place for my sons to play year round.

lonestarconst
12-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I'd be happy to answer any design/engineering questions you may have. You can look at my site www.lonestarconstructioninc.com or www.decks.com for many ideas

Ingersoll444
12-31-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks LS, I will check it out.

glenn27
12-31-2005, 06:58 AM
L/S cons.--I've got to compliment you on your work-just awesome!!(website is right up there w/ the best, too...
Happy New Year!

lonestarconst
12-31-2005, 12:46 PM
L/S cons.--I've got to compliment you on your work-just awesome!!(website is right up there w/ the best, too...
Happy New Year!
Thank You Sir, I Have a wonderful team around me, they make it possible!