old troy-bilt [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: old troy-bilt

jasonm
07-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I just purchased a house and found an old troy-bilt tiller in one of the sheds. I would like some info but I don't know where to start.

bontai Joe
07-24-2006, 01:25 AM
:Welcome1: Glad you found us. I know a little about the old Troy-Bilt tillers. Any info you can give me as to what kind of motor it has, and how wide the tine section is would be most helpful. You can check out what current model it most closely resembles at http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10001_14102_35703_17666_17666_-1

jasonm
07-25-2006, 09:39 PM
The engine is a 6hp Tecumseh, It has approx 15" tine ( not including the cover) I found a number TH1002 on the belt cover. It needs a good cleaning, it has about 25yrs of dirt on it. Tried to start it the other night but it had no spark. I found this one on ebay it looks like the same model and year as mine except mine is in a little better shape and fully assy.

Thank you.
jason

jasonm
07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Sorry about that I tried to paste a pic and it didn't work.

Greg
07-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Looks very much like a "Horse", Jason.

:Welcome1: and congrats on the tiller. It'll make a good project.

Uncle Greg

bontai Joe
07-31-2006, 12:39 AM
That definitely a Horse from the early 1970's or older, Troy-Bilt's top of the line tiller. The basic design hasn't changed much since the 1950s, mostly just engine upgrades, until the the 1980s when the PTO model came out. They are a pretty basic design, parts are still available for the tiller itself, can't vouch for the old Tec motor. You should probably start with new points, plug and condenser (less than $20 for parts) setting the points at around .018" and the plug at around .035" (that's from memory, but should be real close). Change the oil with straight 30W and change the gear lube with a 80-120W gear oil.

Mower_Man42
08-29-2006, 10:13 AM
My father had one like that (now mine). I thought it was a horse model as well, it`s was not, the only way to find out is on the right side, by the top of the trans there are number cast into the trans you`ll them to find out what you have for sure.

The one I have looks just the one you have in the picture mine is the next one down from the horse. I lost the owners manual. But I check a long time ago and I think the Horse had a bigger motor, think it was a Kohler Magnum motor. Even with just 6 horse power, it has plenty of power and with the trans it will dig for ever.

REJ2
11-02-2006, 08:02 AM
I bought one last Sat. in suppossed non-running condition. A 1985 PTO Horse III model. Its got the Tecumseh HH60 motor. A good carb cleaning and it runs good. Overall condition is very good. Paid only $75 dollars for it. Go with a carb rebuild or replacement, don't give up on the Tecumseh motor, the one I have seems strong. REJ2.

Mrwiggles2
11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, here is a picture of mine, its a Pony, but it was in rough shape. It leaked oil from the rear tine oil seals and pretty much all other places (engine and muffler). It had the original spark plug it appeared, absolutely covered in black oil. A real mess.

As Joe said, parts are plentiful. I got new oil seals, head gasket, muffler, left/right tine bearings, beautiful tines from ebay, air filter, new belts. Its a 5 horse and it goes through sod like nothing. Fix it up it will last forever.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/MrWiggles2/IMG_0546.jpg

RED-85-Z51
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I was given a nice 1980 Model Pony Tiller earlier this year.

I like it, except for it wont dig deeper than the rear gear case. I think it might need tines?

Mine is a 5hp model, with the briggs engine. I like it, but it isnt as rugged as the Ariens Rocket7, but it IS more maneuverable.

Tell us how the controls are configured.

Levers under the handle, levers on the handle? A push/pull motion handle?

I had a shot at a TroyBilt Horse a while back, it has a K181S Kohler, and was considerably larger than my pony.

The horse is a monster, it needs a set of ramps to load on a trailor.

While a pony is an easy 2 man lift.

MY favorite is the old Tuffy. Id like to find one with the original Tecumseh H30, Iworked on one and loved it.

kevmi
03-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi, I'm Kev in MI. I am in need of some information please. I have an older Troy Bilt PTO Horse Model with a 7Hp Briggs Stratton Industrial/Commerical motor. The Serial says 00912018 I think or 00912078. I also found TH1003. I am wondering about the age of this tiller and which mannual to download. Thanks for the time. Great site. Kevmi

Mrwiggles2
03-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi, I'm Kev in MI. I am in need of some information please. I have an older Troy Bilt PTO Horse Model with a 7Hp Briggs Stratton Industrial/Commerical motor. The Serial says 00912018 I think or 00912078. I also found TH1003. I am wondering about the age of this tiller and which mannual to download. Thanks for the time. Great site. Kevmi

That model is the OPC (operator presence control) has the pto. Can't locate an actual year, probably around 1985 or a little later. Nice tiller, the other option was the Kohler commercial engine. Welcome to MTF. :Welcome1:

Smokey362
03-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Do any of you have any idea where I can find a pto log splitter for my Horse tiller? Since Troy Bilt went belly up and MTD bought them up, they don't make the log splitter anymore. nice of them. I live in the Youngstown, Ohio area.
Smokey362@Zoominternet.net

Ken in NJ
03-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Do any of you have any idea where I can find a pto log splitter for my Horse tiller? Since Troy Bilt went belly up and MTD bought them up, they don't make the log splitter anymore. nice of them. I live in the Youngstown, Ohio area.

I have seen two of them on e-bay in the past 5 years or so. They must be VERY rare ..

Smokey362
03-30-2008, 03:13 PM
The nice folks at MTD told me they have a pto log splitter new in the box, that they will sell me for about $780.00 plus shipping.

rambo298
04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Just purchased a troy-bilt horse, model th-1002. I am looking for an owner's manual + parts manual and am wondering when I can buy parts for it? I need a few things for the Tecumseh motor, and the rubber disc drive wheel needs to be replaced. Thanks.

poverty ranch
07-23-2008, 05:31 PM
hello, I am new to the site and I have tried finding info on how old my troy bilt is with no luck. The serial number on the case is 130338 the tecumseh engine is HH60. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ken N Tx
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
:Welcome1: poverty ranch..

Have any Pics ??? :wwp:

bontai Joe
07-24-2008, 04:19 PM
hello, I am new to the site and I have tried finding info on how old my troy bilt is with no luck. The serial number on the case is 130338 the tecumseh engine is HH60. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The tiller's serial number would be on the transmission case near where the handles mount. I get an error when trying your serial number.

REJ2
07-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Poverty Ranch, 1974 is year of manufacture, 6 h.p. motor. Info obtained from Troy Bilt tiller club. REJ2.

rockincrawler
02-28-2009, 06:27 PM
can someone get me a picture of under the pulley cover of an older troy bilt tiller?? :wwp:

Troybilt Fanatic
03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Ser # 130338 D.O.M. 1/75 is a Horse I tiller. When you go to
www.troybilt.com
bottom left corner of page find SITEMAP.. click on it
under CUSTOMER CARE is owners manuals
model type in HORSE ser# below that type in the # 1 hit search
remember all the tiller manuals listed you want the Horse 1 manual and parts book. There is a service manual for the trans alone but you buy it. Well worth it. MNL8 $35 includes shipping. Step by step on repairs with pics.

Chris223
04-21-2009, 02:58 AM
that's a cool pre-MTD Troy Bilt tiller. Those things were indestructible, or so I've heard.

RStocker
04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Just purchased a troy-bilt horse, model th-1002. I am looking for an owner's manual + parts manual and am wondering when I can buy parts for it? I need a few things for the Tecumseh motor, and the rubber disc drive wheel needs to be replaced. Thanks.

You can find all the manuals on line. I have them on another computer and can not send them to you. It is not up and running. Just type in Troy Built tiller manuals and you should find it. As for the engine. Type in the make, model of your engine and you should find that on line as well.

mrshilliker
04-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Any idea where I could find the manual for the Troy Bilt TH 1003? I haven't had any luck finding one online. Its got an 8hp engine, I think a Briggs, and I think its prob from the late 70s. I am just trying to find the manual! Thanks so much for any help!

HDmstng
04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
You can purchase CD's containing all the manuals off eBay, but you should be able to find them all online for free. There is a Troy Bilt club on yahoo that has a lot of files available (and parts). Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by mentioning the yahoo club.

I've purchased parts off eBay, as well as from custompartsinc.com for the first time this week. The parts should be arriving soon, so will let you know how they look.

AMCJavelin74
11-27-2010, 07:55 PM

You didn't happen to get it from around Wayland, MI around 2004-2005 did you? If so, I may have grown up with it.

micah68kj
12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I KNOW this is a two year old post but there is a PTO wood splitter on e-ay at this moment. 10 bids and it's up to $275.00
Joe

old1mech
01-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi guy's, I'm new to the Troy forum too. Anyone looking for info on tillers should try Partstree.com they have extensive parts breakdown and model nos. If they list the part as unavailable don't give up keep looking through local parts dealers, someone out there still has NOS. I found pulleys for my horse last year. Good luck!!