Traction - new tires or wheel weights? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Traction - new tires or wheel weights?

johng565
07-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I have a new FS-5500 and the 'Turf Saver' tires slip a bit too much on the steeper slopped part of the lawn. They spin when I try to go up or diagonally on some parts, and they slide when I break hard going down others. How much slope can these tractors handle going straight down or up? The book warns not to try more than 15 degrees, and mine is more than that in parts. I'd sure hate to flip this thing.

I have read in this forum that wheel weights help, but I already have my 220 lbs sitting over the back tires, so would more weight really help?

Are AG tires ok for normal lawns? Do they leave odd marks?

I see some knobby 'Turf Tamer' tires that look like they wouldn't spin as easily, but I don't see them in size 22x9.5x12

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/titan_atv/TurfTamerKnobby.jpg

This is my first lawn tractor, and although I have the age, I don't quite have the wisdom yet. I got Sears to ship me the correct rear bagger bracket last week and this weekend was my first try at using it. It ran great in all other ways, just these slipping wheels are bugging me.
Any advice?

John G.

Ingersoll444
07-10-2006, 05:40 AM
I have no problem with the AG's on my lawn, but all lawns are diferent. Unless your yard is real soft, I would change tires. Sounds like you need more then weights.

Argee
07-10-2006, 05:55 AM
I agree with Paul...your conditions might warrant a new tire. I had a similar complaint and here is what worked for me.

http://www.carlisletire.com/products/atv/stryker/product_large.jpg

draddogs
07-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I have the same problem w/ my GS6500. I have a very hard packed soil in my area so ags won't be a problem. Heres a link to a on line mail order with good prices and quick delivery. I will be putting on the same tire as I have on the cub in my avatar. They are called Kenda Executioners anr are agressive.

USN_ED
07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I have read in this forum that wheel weights help, but I already have my 220 lbs sitting over the back tires, so would more weight really help?

Yes, more weight will help. Your 220 pounds is in the seat and is distributed throughout the frame. Therefore, not all of that weight is directly applied to the rear wheels. Perhaps only 60% of your 220 pounds is applied to rear wheel traction. Rear wheel weights would help.

AG tires shouldn't hurt you lawn or leave any appreciable footprint in the grass as long as you don't run them when the lawn is soggy or very soft. I usually run AGs on my GT5000 with wheel weights and they don't hurt my lawn when I am operating the tractor on it. Right now I'm running Turf Savers with chains as I haven't changed them out yet from snow plowing and even that combination doesn't leave an imprint on the lawn.

I think your best bet would be AGs with wheel weights. That combination would probably eliminate any traction issues you have.

pigsitter
07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey draddogs, could you post the link again as it doesn't appear to have been included in your earlier post!!Thanks :fing32:

draddogs
07-11-2006, 10:35 AM
http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showCategory.phpid=2&shortcut=ATV_MUD_TIRES_2

Heres the link. Sorry about not getting it in. Wait for it to load then in the upper left click on mud tires. :fing32:

I liked the Kenda Executioner in 6 ply because of the rim gaurd design size I went with is 25x10.00-12 :goodl:

bwh1214
07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I've had a lot of luck towing with wheel weights on my GT 6000. Even in sandy gravel, actually the difference was night and day. I tried towing w/o wheel weights and thought I wouldn't be able to use the tractor in that application. I added wheel weights and a modified belly weight because the deck was off and no problems since. Hope this helps

bw

911radioman
07-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I use the Ag style tires on my GT5000, and I tend to have some pretty wet areas in the spring. I get no marring of the ground. I have the wheel weights as well, but I rarely put those on, save for the winter months and if I'm going to plow my garden, and sometimes I don't even use them to plow.

GT5000RJM
07-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Are your rollers (front and side of deck) set too low? If so they could be taking up some of the weight that is needed for traction. Just a thought.

Topdj-com
07-15-2006, 10:46 AM
i have a pair of 10 x 23 on 12 inch 5 lugs that have to go basically new

JimboTN
07-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I had traction issues with my turf-saver tires too, especially when the treads loaded up with damp soil or grass, but I've been extremely pleased with my GT5000 since I changed over to Carlisle SuperLug AGs and added winter grade windshield-wiper fluid to the rear tires. I also mounted the front tires with the chevrons pointed back toward the driver. Effort turning was significantly reduced and traction was improved beyond belief. Made all the difference. I've not had any problems with leaving tracks in the yard either.
I ordered mine from a local shop that does my tire and mechanic work. May have cost a few dollars more but I like to spend close to home to build relationships and help the little guys stay in business.

JimboTN

draddogs
07-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Jimbo, I agree on spending money on the little guy near home but I wont spemd the money there if its way over priced or if their attitude is we are the ony one around. I try to get my parts from those met here and other forums I respond to. I find that those whom are in these forums usually have a lot better knowledge than those who are supposed to be the pros. JMO

johng565
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Tried the Super Lug tires from Carlisle, the smallest size they make is to big for the FS5500, well actually it's the 48" deck that's the issue.

I didn't get them mounted, just took them home and lined them up to where they would be if mounted and although they cleared the fenders they would rub against the rear wheel brackets of the 48" deck. May have had to get other wheels to mount them to also, not sure.

So I took them back and now will try wheel weights.

Original tire size is 22x9.5-12
smallest super lug 23x10-12

The bigger GS6500 uses 23x10.5 according to the brochure. Maybe I should upgrade?

Here are some pix. I know the tires are backwards, but I was just size testing without them mounted.

John G.

draddogs
07-22-2006, 10:56 AM
John from the looks of your pics iI would say you have to reverse your rims as it looks like the tire is on backwards.

johng565
07-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeh, but it's great for backing up out of trouble....

Actually they weren't mounted, I was just figuring out if they would fit the tractor.

John G.

draddogs
07-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Good because you know how technical this forum is and the backing out of trouble is not our way....we go head first then get the comalong out to get us out or call somebody with a bigger tractor ROF

USN_ED
07-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Tried the Super Lug tires from Carlisle, the smallest size they make is to big for the FS5500, well actually it's the 48" deck that's the issue.

I didn't get them mounted, just took them home and lined them up to where they would be if mounted and although they cleared the fenders they would rub against the rear wheel brackets of the 48" deck. May have had to get other wheels to mount them to also, not sure.

So I took them back and now will try wheel weights.

Original tire size is 22x9.5-12
smallest super lug 23x10-12

The bigger GS6500 uses 23x10.5 according to the brochure. Maybe I should upgrade?

Here are some pix. I know the tires are backwards, but I was just size testing without them mounted.

John G.

You just can't get an ACCURATE picture of how the tires will fit WITHOUT mounting them. Your OEM tire is 22" and the Carlisle Super Lug in your pictures is 23". Not enough to make an appreciable difference. Go back and get the tires if they still have them and mount them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about the fit.

EDIT:
A mounted tire's diameter is smaller that a non-mounted tire's diameter. I don't know if I can explain it clearly or if you can picture it in your mind but when you mount a tire, the sidewall bead expands outward so as to seat on the wheel's rim. As the bead seats, the crown of the tire is drawn closer to the wheel and as the sidewalls expand, the crown of the tire is drawn even closer to the wheel. As a result of those two actions, the mounted diameter is less that the non-mounted diameter. That is why the tire you set up beside your tractor looked so big. Like I said before this "edit" - give the 23 inchers a try.

Ingersoll444
07-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Try Tucker tire. They have a store on ebay, and they have some nice off brand AG tires. I got a set of 23 8.5x12 on my Ingersoll, and I like them. Cheap, and great service also!! Oh, and 6ply. Almost dont need air in them. :D

Muffduster
08-07-2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showCategory.phpid=2&shortcut=ATV_MUD_TIRES_2

Heres the link. Sorry about not getting it in. Wait for it to load then in the upper left click on mud tires. :fing32:

I liked the Kenda Executioner in 6 ply because of the rim gaurd design size I went with is 25x10.00-12 :goodl:

You guys are getting ripped a new one on tires from that site. Try www.rockymountainatv.com

draddogs
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Maybe you need my glasses I see no real difference in price and mine were shipped 2day express for 68.50 each. It all comes down to whom you are comfortable with. Also rocky mountain has less choices. They dont offer the 6 ply rated Kendas.

Muffduster
08-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Rocky Mountain has MORE choices.

draddogs
08-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Okay..............................

johng565
08-12-2006, 09:22 AM
The wheel weights (60 lbs on each side) have helped greatly, and I feel less likely to tip it over with the reduced center of gravity. I still get some spinning, but not nearly as much. I'll see how it does during the next few mowings.

It was quite a job to drill the 5/8 inch holes in the wheels to mount the weights. A neighbor has a huge Craftsman drill press from the late 40's or early 50's that his Father had. It did the trick getting thru the thick steel wheel and it was kinda nice using a Craftsman tool to do it. I had bought a 5/8 bit but of course it was too big to fit my standard drill.

I was taken by a photograph of tires lately. Here are a few but those kinds of accessories would be hard to explain to my wife, and way out of reach for me anway, but worth sharing with you all to think about!

John G.

johng565
08-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Here's some pix of the wheel weights, oh and I put on a small bumper to due to my newbe tendancy of not always finding the break pedal in time.

John G.

jda1961
09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
all ya need is weight, i mow a fairly steep hillside and when i bought my craftsman 25 hp 50in deck tractor in 1998 it had traction problems too. i put windshield washer fluid in the rear tires and now i can go up, down, sideways, or any ways i want with it. each tire will hold around 9 or so gallons of fluid maybe a lil more, thats just enuff wieght to keep the tires in contact with the ground. i used to spin up the hill and slide off, now i go up and ease off the hill, it will even go up the hill in reverse.
chains were not an option for me because they would have hit the mower deck gauge wheels. and sitting on the upper side all the time is tiring and hard on my rear, plus the seat safty switch would'nt let me either, hope this helps you.

johng565
10-13-2006, 01:55 AM
The weights have helped greatly. The steepest part of the back is about 35 degrees of a slope, and it's just too risky going down or up. Going down the back wheels skid with the breaks, actually one wheel goes in reverse and the other turns regularly, and if I were to hit a hole I could flip. No Posi-traction or antilocking breaks on this puppy, I think the break just stops something in the transmission, and not at the wheels.

So now I just do that 8 foot by 25 foot steep section using the self propelled walk behind mower. The rest of the yard has all the leaves, and I put on the high lift blades to mulch and vacume. I just put the mulching plug on to mulch up the leaves first, then put on the chute to the bagger to vacume afterwards, that way I don't have to empty the bags nearly as often and it packs the mulch much better with it all chopped up. I averaged 3 or 4 weekends of 30 bags each of leaves, mulched and bagged with my Toro mower. This is my first year with the tractor, and it's working out much better than I imagined, mulching it finer than the Toro regular mower. 25 horsepower turning 3 blades is no comparison to a 6 horsepower mulching walk behind mower!

And I get to do it all again this weekend..... can't wait!

John G.

lb59
01-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Which helps the most for traction?
Weights or chains?

Edward
01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Here's some pix of the wheel weights, oh and I put on a small bumper to due to my newbe tendancy of not always finding the break pedal in time.

John G.
Hey! A '69 VW bus!