Service Manual for Greyhound Engine from Harbor Freight [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Service Manual for Greyhound Engine from Harbor Freight

HDmstng
05-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm looking for a service manual for the Greyhound engines from Harbor Freight, specifically the 6.5 hp version they sold. I've been googling away, but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RED-85-Z51
05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Good luck...info on these is sparse. I bought one new and it didnt come with any literature in the box.

What do you need to know?

HDmstng
05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks Red - I started another thread about the issue I'm having...figured others maybe interested in a service manual and didn't want to muddy up the waters.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=240919

mikeinri
05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Everyone refers to them as "Honda clones" but what Honda model? Is there a Honda service manaul that would help? This would be useful to a lot of us.
Mike

RED-85-Z51
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
In the beginning, They cloned the 5.5hp "Gx-160"..then moved onto the197cc GX-200...and now today have cloend the 11 and 13hp models...GX-340 and GX-390.

However, due to a lawsuit that was won by HONDA, new clones cannot be.."clones"...they have to have something architecturally and physically obviously different from a Genuine Honda to be legally sold.

Im not sure I understand the need for a manual though...

Oil is the same SAE30 as other engines, plug is the same NGK BPR6ES or Champion RC12YC, Valve lash is 0.005" cold, oil is filled to the full mark, has a low oil sensor, choke it, fuel on, switch on, pull rope...

The service manual/owners manual is probably a page or 2 long, with a good amount of that being warning like...do not run without oil, muffler is HOT, do not pull rope with teeth.

Literally, these things are cheap and simple, unbox, add oil, run it til it wont run anymore, rmeove, and install another. Probably why the manuals are scarce.

The problem at hand here is, a new chemical on the market...mechanic in a can or something, was added in large quantities to the fuel, allowed to sit over the winter and spring, and now it wont run off choke. The problem is a gummed up carb, too much chemical, and old gas. The service manual wont cover this problem, the manual will simply say to "see a professional for repair".

mikeinri
05-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Believe me, I'm totally in agreement on your diagnosis of this problem. I just like to have service manuals for everything I own. Just a personal preference thing, I guess...

I do agree, and have mentioned elsewhere, that for the replacement cost of the engine (vs. parts), it quickly becomes a waste of time and money to fix these engines after a while.

Mine did come with an owners manual, not unlike what you describe.

It just says to contact Harbor Freight for parts. Nice...

Mike

RED-85-Z51
05-31-2012, 02:08 AM
I tell people to get the warranty...they will literally give you a new engine if anything goes wrong, even if nothing is wrong, they will just hand you a new engine during the warranty period.

WVdeerehunter
05-31-2012, 07:58 AM
This is probably as close as you're going to get.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:qm2AbqQqUeMJ:quartermidgets.org/documents/Tech/Honda/2011_Honda_160_TECH_MANUAL.pdf+honda+gx160+service +manual&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgIqARNfScvyMBdUgF-8zKDqyxIygRzJtn1mq0ZD29tx9HB08Bt_LZ9hEcdJqAImHRpXi KkGEpEcXNRtzC_iymqMyBD9plZrnLgZJfwIN7l2O0HGzRDOBSA gABlfnU-RdxU3-LW&sig=AHIEtbQz53OnhnumVRYEuyttPGjKASEkPQ

Steve

Dude11
05-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Everyone refers to them as "Honda clones" but what Honda model? Is there a Honda service manaul that would help? This would be useful to a lot of us.
Mike

Not sure which one you need,but here's the 11hp.hope it helps.Well hocky it's to large of file to post.I'll send it to your email--pm me with it.:trink40:

NOVAZ27
05-31-2012, 08:57 AM
MTF needs to raise the kb size of a PDF posting beyond the 205 kb limit now in place :crybaby: IMO. But I guess they have good reason the limit is what it is. Most manuals in a PDF format are quite a bit larger than 205 kb.

MY RANT FOR TODAY

LATER

mikeinri
05-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I have the Greyhound 6.5 HP, model 66015, purchased in 2011.

In the manual that came with it ("Set Up, Operating and Servicing Instructions"), the size is listed as 196cc, so I would imagine that to line up with a similar Honda engine?

In this manual, there is a parts diagram and list, but no part numbers (parts are indexed numerically to the diagram, but no part numbers from which to order parts from anywhere but Harbor Freight).

In this manual, there is no electrical drawing, not that there's really much to it...

Of course, there's no telling if Honda made a model year change that didn't show up on the Greyhound, but that's a minor risk.

Mike

John@Reliable
05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Good luck...info on these is sparse. I bought one new and it didnt come with any literature in the box.
Mmm, I have two on the shelve from last year that I haven't opened yet, maybe I should :fing32:

Dude11
05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
For those of you that are interested in parts for these eng.Harbor IS the place to get'em.I called about the carb.on a 11hp,price for total carb.was bout $26.00---For that kind of pricing,I would'nt even take the time to try & beat it.A Honda carb.like it would be well over $100.00.:trink40:Just saying------