3-point drop limit? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: 3-point drop limit?

Mike Dodd
11-09-2011, 09:22 AM
On a BX2360, is there a way to set a limit on how far the 3-point hitch drops when I move the control lever forward?

I'm looking for a way to set a middle buster to a particular depth, so it won't dig-in too deep.

Thanks.

Mike

UrbanTractor
11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Mike,

If I understand your question correctly, that feature is known as 3PH "position control". Until fairly recently, it was rare on SCUTs. We are starting to see it trickle down, and now some models like the new JD 1-Series and the CC/Yanmar SCUTs do offer position control. But Kubota doesn't offer position control yet in the BX series.

You do have a small advantage over some other machines, in that you have the 1/4 inching valve to help you make small adjustments to the 3PH height. Also, I may have misunderstood your question, so hopefully some of these experienced guys will chime in.

D-Dogg
11-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Mike,

If I understand your question correctly, that feature is known as 3PH "position control". Until fairly recently, it was rare on SCUTs. We are starting to see it trickle down, and now some models like the new JD 1-Series and the CC/Yanmar SCUTs do offer position control. But Kubota doesn't offer position control yet in the BX series.

You do have a small advantage over some other machines, in that you have the 1/4 inching valve to help you make small adjustments to the 3PH height. Also, I may have misunderstood your question, so hopefully some of these experienced guys will chime in.

You're on the right track UT. We were discussing this in another thread Mike started about his middle-buster, and I made an assumption the 'botas had that feature as refined and user friendly as they seem to be. I thought the deck height control may allow the operator to limit total drop.

Sounds like you might be making up some drop chains like Brad mentioned, Mike.

UrbanTractor
11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
You're on the right track UT. We were discussing this in another thread Mike started about his middle-buster, and I made an assumption the 'botas had that feature as refined and user friendly as they seem to be. I thought the deck height control may allow the operator to limit total drop....

Okay, I'll be interested to hear whether the deck height control can limit the drop.

Kubota's premium B series offers 3PH position control -- they would be the rough equivalent of JD's 2320/2520/2720.

midtnvol
11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
volfandt had a thread on check chains some time ago. This might work...http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=204269

Mike Dodd
11-09-2011, 10:25 PM
volfandt had a thread on check chains some time ago. This might work...http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=204269

That looks like it'll do the trick. Thank you very much.

Mike

Volfandt
11-09-2011, 10:30 PM
On a BX2360, is there a way to set a limit on how far the 3-point hitch drops when I move the control lever forward?

I'm looking for a way to set a middle buster to a particular depth, so it won't dig-in too deep.

Thanks.

Mike
Good question(s).
When it comes to ground engagement implements like plows, middle busters, disc's etc., the best depth control is having the implement setup correctly along w/a 3ph w/draft control. Draft control self adjusts the implements angle of attack (tip angle) to compensate for dips, rises and changes in the soils density and keeps the implement at the required depth. Even w/draft control it's not unusual to see digging implements equipped w/depth wheels to assist in keeping an implement running at the required depth.

None of the modern SCUT's (and most of the CUTs) don't have draft control so when it comes to a digging implement, theres really no 'automatic' way for the 3ph to self adjust and if one wants to set & forget a digging implement at a constant depth, about the only consistant way to do this would be w/an adjustable depth wheel attached to the the implement.

Position control and 1/4 inching valve (QIV) 3PH's are great for setting and maintaining the height of an above ground implement, such as an RC, box blade, rear blade, york rake etc., these controls can't compensate and are harder to set for digging implements. So IMHO, I don't think one can set & forget a digging implement w/these type of implements.

re. setting up a middle buster (we call 'em potato plows) on a BX. I'd start w/ the tip just slightly lower than the trailing edge then run a test row while using the QIV to try and set the depth and see if it will hold somewhat steady. Angle it down more if it doesn't dig enough and of course angle it up if it digs too deep. You'll still probably have to manually continually compensate the depth if your ground has alot of mixed density soil.

A properly setup QIV 3PH can work nearly as precise as a position control valve but theres obviously more guess work involved since theres no graduations labled for the lever. on a QIV 3PH, the lever should always remain in the neutral or centered position as this is where it "holds' the 3ph's position. If the two stops are properly adjusted, pushing the lever down to the stop then releasing it or bringing it back to center position should drop the 3ph 1/4" and hold there. several movements should drop it more, 1/4" at a time. Same goes for raising it. If the stops aren't adjusted properly, the 3ph could move more or less than a 1/4" with each lever movement. The stops are adjustable so you may have to play w/them to get them adjusted right. Some folks prefer more than 1/4" increments and adjust the stops for longer throws. The key is to return the lever to the center position so the 3PH will hold at that position. Pushing the lever past the stops allows for the 3ph to fully drop and/or raise without the 1/4" increments.

re. MMM depth control selector. This sets the height of the MMM and is not meant to control the 3PH's depth. The adjustment is actually a step cam that one of the MMM's lift arms contact to maintain the set height. The "0" position is used for mounting/dismounting the MMM and the "top" position is used to hold the MMM in the uppermost position while the 3ph is raised/lowered to work implements attached to it.
On my BX23 I usually set my MMM depth to 3.5" and when I lower the MMM to this height the lever will self return to center once the MMM rests on the step cam. I can then push the lever down and hold it to drop the 3PH down to it's lowest position, even tho the MMM doesn't drop because it's resting on the step cam. So w/the MMM mounted I can see where it may seem like the depth control knob controls the 3ph, it actually doesn't as the lever can be held down and the 3ph can lower more while the MMM stays at the set depth. Now my BX23's 3ph isn't position control nor a QIV, it's a basic up/down valve that will hold an implemet at a steady heigth once the lever is returned to center. The QIV is similar except it has a more precise lift/lower control.
Clear as mud?
Didn't mean to be so long winded but sometimes the easy questions aren't so easy to answer as theres many variables :D

Dave

PS, I see where MidTN suggested checkchains, which I use to hold my 3ph at a set height for my cyclone rake, and you know, even tho they won't compensate, they'll hold the hitch at a set height, good call MidTn :D

UrbanTractor
11-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Dave,

Thanks for taking time to write that great, informative post. :thanku:

Mike Dodd
11-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Position control and 1/4 inching valve (QIV) 3PH's are great for setting and maintaining the height of an above ground implement [...]
If the two stops are properly adjusted, pushing the lever down to the stop then releasing it or bringing it back to center position should drop the 3ph 1/4" and hold there. several movements should drop it more, 1/4" at a time.

Thanks for the informative reply, Dave.

Regarding QIV, my reading of the 2360's manual suggests that it is supposed to have one, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

The manual says, "The positions (B) and (C) of the [hydraulic control] lever in contact with the inner stopper enables you to control the valve with ease in increments of approximately 6.4mm (0.25 in.) at the lower link end."

This sounds like exactly what you described. Looking down into the control lever slot, I see two stops on the inner side, and holding the lever toward the seat while moving it does cause it to hit the stops (barely).

But the 3-point hitch does not begin to drop until the lever is moved past the stop. My test was with the engine off -- does it need to be running for the QIV to function?

Mike

JRC0528
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Funny... I've been using my BX2350 for a couple years and never knew there were physical stops on the QIV!! I've always just feathered the controls lightly to make minor position adjustments!

Volfandt
11-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Mike & Jim, I don't recall who it was, I want to think that it was CHDinCT that found a way to get those stops to stick out more so the lever would contact them easier. IIRC it wasn't anything major he had to do, I think it was a matter of loosening them and swinging them out alittle more. The BX's came w/the QIV beginning w/the 50 series. I don't have this feature on my 30 series BX23 unfortunately.
This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5wZ6Kmqic shows how the QIV is supposed to work when setup properly and even tho it is on a B series, it should work the same on the BX series.
The engine has to be running for it the QIV to operate properly.

Loremaster72
11-11-2011, 06:33 AM
While I don't have any experience on BX series machines, I am familiar with the B8200 model (my dad's). His machine does NOT have position control hydraulics, just a simple up-down lever. On this tractor, there is a depth stop rod running from the hitch rocker shaft and through a tab on the hitch control lever. It has manually adjustable nuts on it that serve to push the lever back to the center position when the desired position is reached. I know it works pretty well on his machine. If your hitch controls are similar, maybe you could rig something similar. It you look at the hitch breakdown in a parts manual, you can see the parts involved.

David S VG
11-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Mike & Jim, I don't recall who it was, I want to think that it was CHDinCT that found a way to get those stops to stick out more so the lever would contact them easier. IIRC it wasn't anything major he had to do, I think it was a matter of loosening them and swinging them out alittle more. The BX's came w/the QIV beginning w/the 50 series. I don't have this feature on my 30 series BX23 unfortunately.
This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5wZ6Kmqic shows how the QIV is supposed to work when setup properly and even tho it is on a B series, it should work the same on the BX series.
The engine has to be running for it the QIV to operate properly.

Volfant, What I did for my BX 2350 was simply remove the tabs and then using a crescent wrench and a vice grip I bent them down towards the tire or the outside of the fender by about fifteen degrees or so to make them stick out a little further. Now it's just inward fingertip pressure to engage the QIV. Works like a charm and only took about ten minutes. Can't figure out why Kubota doesn't do this in the first place , but we are talking Kubota here.

David

Volfandt
11-19-2011, 09:29 AM
David, I bet it was you that I was refering too, my bad. Thanks for straightening me up :D good job btw.
Dave

David S VG
11-19-2011, 12:29 PM
David, I bet it was you that I was refering too, my bad. Thanks for straightening me up :D good job btw.
Dave

No probleemo, the way that it came from the factory was just a complete PITA, now it's actually quite pleasant to use that QIV feature especially with the snow blower or my 60" reverse rotation woods tiller. And it's so easy to do.

David