Montgomery Ward with Tiller [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Montgomery Ward with Tiller

bmurph44
10-30-2011, 10:24 PM
What do you guys think about this setup?

He wants $700.00

Montgomery Ward Tractor and tiller, 16 HP Briggs and Stratton cast Iron 1 cylinder engine with 38 in rear tiller.
Just had the original starting system converted to a kohler system with new wiring, kohler coil, points and condenser (Easier to get at everything).
Starts and runs great, tiller works great also has new drive belt for tiller.

engine2quarters
10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Ouch!
But, it is 100% Made in The U.S.A., out of real steel, none of this fancy thin plastic or aluminum.
What are the particulars.....speeds, hydraulics, etc., etc. MTF is starting to get a Gilson/Montgomery Ward tractor following.

You say the starting system was changed over to a Kohler system. Which engine does it have, a Kohler or Briggs?

bmurph44
10-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Guess there aren't many Gilson Montgomery Wards owners.

Wonder if he calls this Trusty Rusty?

cjet69
10-31-2011, 10:22 PM
The price seems a little steep to me by a couple hundred, but they are nice tractors. Looks like our MW 14. Our mower deck is shot, but the tiller is still good. We need to finish the restoration on the tractor.

bmurph44
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
The price seems a little steep to me by a couple hundred, but they are nice tractors. Looks like our MW 14. Our mower deck is shot, but the tiller is still good. We need to finish the restoration on the tractor.

Wow, now that looks like a project.

Whats the story on the top left picture?

cjet69
10-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow, now that looks like a project.

Whats the story on the top left picture?

The pic on the top left is my big brother and I Having fun in the snow back in January of 1971. My Dad bought this new and I want to restore it to its former glory days. I spent alot of time on it learning to drive and backup trailers. If you buy it ,it should be a nice tractor with a little TLC. Here's a few more pic's.

bmurph44
10-31-2011, 11:52 PM
The pic on the top left is my big brother and I Having fun in the snow back in January of 1971. My Dad bought this new and I want to restore it to its former glory days. I spent alot of time on it learning to drive and backup trailers. If you buy it ,it should be a nice tractor with a little TLC. Here's a few more pic's.

That's a great story, good luck with your project......:thThumbsU

engine2quarters
11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
From the Gilson S-12 (S-series) book......
"Hydraulic fluid -- Hydraulic pump should be kept filled 2" from the top. If fluid is low, bring up to proper level with SAE 10W engine oil."

And for interest, "Transaxle oil should last for the life of tractor unless leakage occurs. With tractor level, oil should be up to bottom of hole. If oil is required fill with EP 140 SAE oil through level check lug hole." note: this oil is not very easy to find. There is a posting in the Wheel Horse section about a 'replacement' oil or source.

Before you fill up stuff, wait until your specific booklet comes. It may say something different. If it worth doing, do it right.

My Gilson is 'under cover' for a few days. A friend just dropped off two snow/lawn machines in the 'shop'. One is 20 yrs. old, other is 5 yrs. Neither run, but did run, until they blew white smoke and stopped. Engines are still free. The 'shop' just isn't big enough for any more projects. Even if it's just a hobby.

Jack D D
11-04-2011, 10:07 PM
From the Gilson S-12 (S-series) book......
"Hydraulic fluid -- Hydraulic pump should be kept filled 2" from the top. If fluid is low, bring up to proper level with SAE 10W engine oil."

This confuses me. My Vickers manual says use transmission fluid type A or B (red) in the hydraulics system.

Are you referring to a Vickers? Or something else?

engine2quarters
11-04-2011, 10:33 PM
My 1969 S-12 (mod. 769 or 770) has the 'variable speed' drive, with the 4 speed. Don't remember seeing any other nameplate on the tranny as such. I'd be surprised if the previous owner left any 'plates' on the machine, he'd already removed the model/serial no. plate. But, that's not to say, there isn't one under there someplace, hiding.
All I got was the metal machine, no paperwork. I can't ask the previous owner since is no longer with us.
Next couple days are supposed to be in the 60's, good time to crawl under and see what else I can find, maybe a name or sumtin.

Hemifanatic
02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
This confuses me. My Vickers manual says use transmission fluid type A or B (red) in the hydraulics system.

Are you referring to a Vickers? Or something else?
If it helps, I have a 1971 MW Hydrostatic that burned up the unit in 1999. I had our local Hydraulic Shop rebuild the unit (Vickers/Eaton) with the screw on filter and everyone I have ever talked with plus the rebuilders was to keep it clean, change the filter every few years or when you use it heavy. Being clear of debris allows it to cool better, use 15W-45 or 10W-50 Mobil 1 synthetic Motor oil. This tractor has been a powerhouse since it was bought new in the fall of 1970 in Kalamazoo MI. Over the decades the best way to keep the fluid level correct to prevent cavitation and slowness is to top it off to the level pipe bung behind the right rear tire on the side of the case, start it up and let it idle and put the lever in the forward position. With the axel slowly turning and the tractor level top off the case till fluid comes out and put the plug back in. Your good to go. hope this helps anyone looking.

attorney_barnabas_collins
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I'd make fun of that brushed flaking red paint job but...

attorney_barnabas_collins
02-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I thought someone was selling my Squire 16 at first, The tilled looked like that one when I got it years ago. It has been in the weather since and not for the better.

pm3808
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
hi i think that price is a little high i got mine for free cuz it didnt run neede stater gear and a little wireing im thinking 300 tops just my 2 cents but if you really like it they are good tractors mine came with tiller and plow has hydro lift it was in a little worst shape then now