JD 4310 with logger forks came in handy [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: JD 4310 with logger forks came in handy

Keweenaw4310
05-16-2005, 08:34 PM
This weekend I lifted a pile of engineered lumber into a hole in my roof to beef up the roof support of the old part of my house. I have 4 more to go, but here's what the first 7 18 footer's looked like going in.

Pictures of roof supports going in (http://www.bootjackmi.com/bedroom4/roof2/roofsupport.html)

slipshod
05-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Since I built the forks for my 4600 I do not know how I functioned without them for so long.

jodyand
05-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Man i would say you needed those you didn't have hardly anything holding up that roof. :eek:

Keweenaw4310
05-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Man i would say you needed those you didn't have hardly anything holding up that roof. :eek:

Very interesting project. About 20 years ago, the previous owner put an 8/12 pitch roof over the existing 10/12 pitch roof. This allowed him to extend the roof out to cover a porch. The interesting part is, he used 2x2's to frame up the new 8/12 pitch roof. To hold it up, he cut 2x4's to various lenths to stand on end. These short pieces of 2x4 would rest on 2x4's nailed onto the old roof.

It wasn't very strong. The old roof was giving out and the 8/12 pitch was sagging bad. I'm building a dormer in that room and couldn't have that situation going on.

I gutted that section of the upstairs. The opposite side of the house was removed when I put on our last addition. I brought in engineered lumber to be the edge of the dormer and used I joists to support the rest of the roof.

I have the lumber for the other side of the dormer on order along with 2 more i joists.

Lucky for me, there is an extra layer of plywood out on the outer decking. If it wasn't for that, screwing up into the plywood from the new I Joists would have been a lot more difficult and touchy. You don't want to have screws going past the plywood and into or through the roofing.

Building a roof backwards is definitely more difficult than the correct way.

05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Great pics Tom! Those engineered beams sure do look a LOT stronger than 2 x 4's. How much do the engineered beams cost as opposed to a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6? I have a of well houses I will have to rebuild the roofs on here at the ranch but nothing on the scale you are building. The extra width of those beams looks like it would make them well suited to adding a good layer of insulation.

Mark / Ohio
05-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the pictures Tom.

Perfect time of year to work on that project after the snow load is gone and before the summer heat. It's certainly much better now the way you have it fixed.

CatDaddy
05-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Is that you peekin' through the hole in your roof Tom?

Keweenaw4310
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Is that you peekin' through the hole in your roof Tom?
That's my brother in law in the roof. He helps me out a lot. Goes both ways. When he has a project going on I help him out too. It took the two of us to get those 18' long pieces in. The I joists aren't too heavy but the solid lumber pieces were.

Chief,

18' long 2 3/4 x 11 7/8 engineered lumber - referred to as LVL from Boise products cost me just under 100.00 a piece. The I joists from Boise of the same dimention only 2" wide cost around 40.00 a piece. Rough numbers that that's a local building supply store of mine who's prices are higher than the big lumber stores.

Boise has a nice web site with information as does Truss Joist. Both companies web sites have downloadable PDFs of their manuals which assist in sizing, applications & connectors.

It really is a good time of year to be doing this. We had a couple of warm days and it gets hot working in there. Only problem is, I'll be opening up the roof to do the dormer just as the mosquito season hits full bloom.

Keweenaw4310
05-23-2005, 09:28 AM
I used the 4310 to lift up the materials for the second side of the dormer.

Ended up having to reinforce the wall downstairs around an outside door. This is the old section of the house. Beams & wall supports can't be assumed to be in place. After some digging around our kitchen entry door, I ended up ripping the wall apart & putting in more studs & a 6' beam over the door.

This kind of carpentry is slow going. Nothing is square or level but must end up that way.

Here are pictures from this weekend's efforts. This is a nice change of pace for me. I work with computers and networking all day at work. To come home to this is fun. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy cool tools.

Dormer Support Pictures (http://www.bootjackmi.com/bedroom4/dormer/dormer1.html)