What engine do these spark plugs fit? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: What engine do these spark plugs fit?

davbell22602
07-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Champion

rn14yc
rn11yc4
rn9yc
cj7y
cj8
cj8y

RED-85-Z51
07-29-2011, 06:53 PM
lol

CJ8 and CJ8Y would be something you would find in smaller briggs flatheads that have the ground out switch that hits the top of the plug to turn it off. Ive seen them in some weedeaters and saws as well, same with the CJ7Y

RN11YC is a longer reach plug, Overhead valve style engines, its not the long reach of the RC12YC that is spec for Kohlers, Briggs, etc...so it wouldnt work right in most current OHV engines. It is Very close to a plug that Honda uses, an NGK BPR6ES-11 It fits most Kohlers, Alot of Kawasaki engines,

RN9YC is similar to the rn11yc, different heat range. Fits some Hondas, some Robins...too many to list specifically.

RN14YC
Kohler M8, Kohler TJD Wisconsin Series, Cushman with Daihatsu 3cyl, Robin EH29C, Kohler EH-25

davbell22602
07-29-2011, 11:37 PM
lol

CJ8 and CJ8Y would be something you would find in smaller briggs flatheads that have the ground out switch that hits the top of the plug to turn it off. Ive seen them in some weedeaters and saws as well, same with the CJ7Y

RN11YC is a longer reach plug, Overhead valve style engines, its not the long reach of the RC12YC that is spec for Kohlers, Briggs, etc...so it wouldnt work right in most current OHV engines. It is Very close to a plug that Honda uses, an NGK BPR6ES-11 It fits most Kohlers, Alot of Kawasaki engines,

RN9YC is similar to the rn11yc, different heat range. Fits some Hondas, some Robins...too many to list specifically.

RN14YC
Kohler M8, Kohler TJD Wisconsin Series, Cushman with Daihatsu 3cyl, Robin EH29C, Kohler EH-25

Thanks for answering the question. Just thought I ask because of all different plugs for lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. Not like there going in a car or truck. Whatever happened to using a simple j19lm in everything?

RED-85-Z51
07-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Actually, the plugs you listed have hundreds of automotive and industrial purposes for each of them...they just "also" fit some lawn equipment.

davbell22602
07-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Actually, the plugs you listed have hundreds of automotive and industrial purposes for each of them...they just "also" fit some lawn equipment.

IMO, Too many different plugs for lawn equipment in general when the average homeowner throws it away every year or 2 years cause they cant it to run right.

Tractor-Holic
07-30-2011, 01:25 PM
The RN9YC,RN11YC and RN14YC are all 3/4" reach 14mm plugs,with the "9" being the coldest and "14" being the hottest ones..many Imports and Mopar ehicles use these plugs as well as some small engines..

The "C" in a CJ-8 and CJ8Y stands for "chain saw" ,they have a smaller sized hex than a regular J-8 ,I think its either 3/4" or 11/16" Vs 13/16 for a J-8...the ceramic is shorter so they'll fit under the handle on a saw and not protrude so far as to be in the way...they are also used in many engines that a J-8 is listed for...

The J17LM and J19LM are used in many engines that had J-8's listed too,the heat range is very close ,the ceramic is shorter than a J-8 plug..

Speaking of spark plugs,heat ranges are inportant...I had flooded my Kohler last time I went to mow with my Yard-Man and had to put fresh plugs in before it would start--it takes RV15YC4 plugs,all I had close on hand were much colder ones,RV8C,that have a shorter reach and the electrodes do not protrude from the base much compared to the right plugs--it started and ran OK,but I felt a loss of power right off the bat,like it had 10 HP instead of 20,and it was rather sluggish when I went to throttle it up,and it bogged down in places that never bothered it in high grass before....
I replaced them with the AC equivilant to the Champions (R46TSX) and man,it was like I bolted a new engine in there!....starts instantly,revs up nice and now the govenor doesn't even kick in if I'm going thru tall weeds...the RV8C plugs looked like charcoal when they came out--way too cold !!..

davbell22602
07-30-2011, 10:55 PM
The RN9YC,RN11YC and RN14YC are all 3/4" reach 14mm plugs,with the "9" being the coldest and "14" being the hottest ones..many Imports and Mopar ehicles use these plugs as well as some small engines..

The "C" in a CJ-8 and CJ8Y stands for "chain saw" ,they have a smaller sized hex than a regular J-8 ,I think its either 3/4" or 11/16" Vs 13/16 for a J-8...the ceramic is shorter so they'll fit under the handle on a saw and not protrude so far as to be in the way...they are also used in many engines that a J-8 is listed for...

The J17LM and J19LM are used in many engines that had J-8's listed too,the heat range is very close ,the ceramic is shorter than a J-8 plug..

Speaking of spark plugs,heat ranges are inportant...I had flooded my Kohler last time I went to mow with my Yard-Man and had to put fresh plugs in before it would start--it takes RV15YC4 plugs,all I had close on hand were much colder ones,RV8C,that have a shorter reach and the electrodes do not protrude from the base much compared to the right plugs--it started and ran OK,but I felt a loss of power right off the bat,like it had 10 HP instead of 20,and it was rather sluggish when I went to throttle it up,and it bogged down in places that never bothered it in high grass before....
I replaced them with the AC equivilant to the Champions (R46TSX) and man,it was like I bolted a new engine in there!....starts instantly,revs up nice and now the govenor doesn't even kick in if I'm going thru tall weeds...the RV8C plugs looked like charcoal when they came out--way too cold !!..

Thanks for the info. Didnt know what the "C", "9", "11", and "14" stand for. What about the the "DJ" series? Like the DJ8J?

mikeypizano
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok, so if the C is chainsaw, what would RJ19LM mean? That is what my Craftsman walk behind takes.

davbell22602
08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok, so if the C is chainsaw, what would RJ19LM mean? That is what my Craftsman walk behind takes.

The R stands for resisitor plug

mikeypizano
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
The R stands for resisitor plug

Ah ok. I am going to guess the L means L head engine? How about the J and M then?

Tractor-Holic
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I'll have to post back later with my Champion book in hand ,to list all the meanings of the letters and numbers..I believe a plug witha "D" prefix means the ground electrode does not cover the entire center electrode,a "retracted gap" is the term I think they used...

38racing
08-04-2011, 12:25 AM
I'll have to post back later with my Champion book in hand ,to list all the meanings of the letters and numbers..I believe a plug witha "D" prefix means the ground electrode does not cover the entire center electrode,a "retracted gap" is the term I think they used...

or really these posters could google champion spark plug and get all that info

Tractor-Holic
08-04-2011, 02:09 PM
:rolleyes:...yeah,and might be able to do something ELSE instead!....

(I dont mind being helpfull,but google IS a wonderful source of info!)....

Still looking for my Champion plug catalog!...:mad:...its right where I left it,wherever THAT was!...

38racing
08-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Still looking for my Champion plug catalog!...:mad:...its right where I left it,wherever THAT was!...

i don't have one but if I did , it might be with the digital caliper and the air drill that I can't find.

davbell22602
11-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Any luck? I couldnt find anything on google.

AMCJavelin74
11-23-2011, 11:22 PM
might need to zoom in and such, but here's something I found. (http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/technical/champion-code.htm):howdy:

larrybl
11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Champion

rn14yc
rn11yc4
rn9yc
cj7y
cj8
cj8y

It would have been a much easier question if post was like this.
I have a Model # #### Engine, What plug would work?

davbell22602
11-23-2011, 11:51 PM
It would have been a much easier question if post was like this.
I have a Model # #### Engine, What plug would work?

Doesnt pertain to a certain engine model. Just a general spark plug question.

38racing
11-24-2011, 12:08 AM
I have a p225/60/r16 tire. What cars will it fit?

matt167
11-24-2011, 02:47 AM
I have a p225/60/r16 tire. What cars will it fit?

common tire size with the Chrysler LH platform cars ( Intrepid, Concorde, 300M, LHS ) :thThumbsU

orange j d
11-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Why do we hang on to old plugs, at least I do. I will put in a new one and keep the old one. From time to time I will be working on something and will check for spark, and if there is none I will grab one of them old plugs to check for spark. But I have two spark plug testers that work super. So why do we do that. I guess I could grab all them old plugs and put them on E-bay and hope some fool will think he is getting a super deal. :thThumbsU

38racing
11-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Why do we hang on to old plugs, at least I do. I will put in a new one and keep the old one. From time to time I will be working on something and will check for spark, and if there is none I will grab one of them old plugs to check for spark. But I have two spark plug testers that work super. So why do we do that. I guess I could grab all them old plugs and put them on E-bay and hope some fool will think he is getting a super deal. :thThumbsU

Only if they know what motor they will fit LOL

wilber
11-25-2011, 11:42 AM

r resistor
j 14mm 3/8 reach 13/16 hex
19 heat range
lm projected core nose

c is actually bantam height.

thats it

W

davbell22602
11-25-2011, 06:50 PM
So which spark plugs does everybody keep in stock on the shelves?

orange j d
11-26-2011, 07:41 AM
So which spark plugs does everybody keep in stock on the shelves?

They stock everything but what you need at the time you need it.:thThumbsU

davbell22602
11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
They stock everything but what you need at the time you need it.:thThumbsU

Ok. I just dont know which ones to keep in stock.

orange j d
11-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Ok. I just dont know which ones to keep in stock.

You stock the ones you use. Am I missing something here. Just make a list of all your equipment and what plug and get at least 1 of each. I do not stock any, When I need one I just pick one up. But than I never keep anything long enough to need a new plug. I just put in a new one when I get it. :thThumbsU

I don't think I ever mowed my grass more that 2 times with the same tractor. :sidelaugh

davbell22602
11-26-2011, 10:51 AM
You stock the ones you use. Am I missing something here. Just make a list of all your equipment and what plug and get at least 1 of each. I do not stock any, When I need one I just pick one up. But than I never keep anything long enough to need a new plug. I just put in a new one when I get it. :thThumbsU

I don't think I ever mowed my grass more that 2 times with the same tractor. :sidelaugh

But which ones are popular sellers? I lost some sales awhile back cause I had customers wanting spark plugs that I didnt have in stock.

orange j d
11-26-2011, 11:02 AM
But which ones are popular sellers? I lost some sales awhile back cause I had customers wanting spark plugs that I didnt have in stock.

Well I did not know you were in business. That you can ask you plug suppler which are the big sellers. Than you take note on the numbers you use the most. Also make note what your customers are asking for the most and if the same plug comes up a lot start stocking it. :thThumbsU

davbell22602
11-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Well I did not know you were in business. That you can ask you plug suppler which are the big sellers. Than you take note on the numbers you use the most. Also make note what your customers are asking for the most and if the same plug comes up a lot start stocking it. :thThumbsU

Stens has no way of doing that. I asked my rep for top selling parts list from stens. So went by the most sold in 2011 list by Dixie and the only not listed is champion rn11yc and cj4.

davbell22602
11-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Can someone post list of spark plugs please?