6 Volt Generator to 12 Volts [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: 6 Volt Generator to 12 Volts

FD611V
07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
My '49 8N has been converted to 12 volt Electronic Ignition with a 3 wire alternator. All the old 6 volt wiring, generator, voltage regulator, etc has been replaced. I still have the original 6 volt generator, and thinking about have it converted to 12 volts. There's nothing wrong with the 12 volt alternator, just the fact I would like to used the old generator for my setup.
I know the 12 volt alternator has a built-in regulator, and should I convert the old generator to 12 volts, I would no doubt have to install a 12 volt voltage regulator in-line somewhere.

Question: Can and has anyone taking a 6 volt generator and converted it to 12 volts? Id so, how can it be done "correctly" to make the change-over?

Mighty Dodge
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
The 6 volt generator will probably charge 12 volts with a 12 volt regulator. One of my JD's is set up this way and it works fine for just putt'n around.
However if you run with the lights on it probably won't be able to keep up.

M.D.

JohnW
07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
I recall somewhere in the back of my mind that someone had used a genny from a 63 Falcon to make a stealth 12v system on an N

raytasch
07-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I am, rather my son is running an 8N with a 12volt generator. Ford automotive products, including light trucks, went to 12 volts in 1956 and kept generators until 1963 when some of the line got alternators. So a generator from just about any of that series Ford car or truck will give you what you want.

Kbeitz
07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Use the 6 volt system and an 8 volt tractor battery...
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=8+volt+battery&_sacat=0&_odkw=8+volt+tractor+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Kirk-NJ
07-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Some of the later models and earlier diesels used a 12volt genny system. Also they used the 12 volt gen system on industrial application like wood chippers, irragation pumps gen sets, power units on the 4 cylinders models up into the early '80s.
Don't overlook junk yards for a possible source.
I'm heading to a U-pull it junk yard today to pull the head off a Jacobsen mower with a 172 engine. this has a 12 volt generator system. You will need a volt reg.

Kirk

souNdguy
07-25-2011, 11:24 AM
you can have the N gennies rebuilt as 12v.. etc.. just need the appropriate vreg.

on my 950 I am using a 12v genny and reg from a later diesel as a stealth conversion. works great.

looks way better than an ugly old aluminum alternator..

soundguy

FD611V
07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Ok, souNdguy, here's if it can be done part.. Keep in mind I have 12 volt Electronic Ignition. the the "guts" removed from the front Distributor....no points, no condenser, etc. Have all new 12 volt wiring....not the new 6/12 volt wiring standard type. No voltage regulator,

So, converting a 6 volt to 12 volts requires new "guts" in the new generator,
plus a 12 volt voltage regulator.

Question, do you know how to wire up this 12 volt regulator in line with the 12 volt generator?

souNdguy
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
i'm just not sure what question you are asking?

wire up what 12v regulator to what 12v genny?

please be specific if you want a specific answer.

so far all your post said is you have a 12v ei and converted dizzy and new wireing

soundguy

JohnW
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
I think and everyone knows that is dangerous, he means how would he wire in the regulator. He will have to run the additional wires necessary for the regulator, ie armature, field, etc.. Best thing he could do is find a wiring diagram for a genny system and rewire his tractors charging circuit according the that.

souNdguy
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
doesn't matter what genny / reg he got.. he wil have to wire it up.

no magic there.. field to field, armature to armature, ground to ground.. that leaves bat.. and that goes to the oem location for the application.

soundguy

FD611V
07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
souNdguy, here the plan now. I just talked to Andy at Genesee Products, who I ordered my 12 volt Electronic Ignition system from to get some advice on the proper way to make the 6 volt to 12 volt generator change-over.
Here what I will do.

Remove the wiring that came with the Electronic Ignition system. Keep the "Pertronix @1247 Igniter" in the Distributor, keep the 12 volt "round can" coil, Reinstall (or buy a new wiring set) the old 6 volt wiring that came with the '49 8N. Take the old 6 volt generator and have it converted to 12 volts...field and armature all new. Buy a 1956 Ford 12 volt voltage regulator, and set everything to "negative" ground. That includes the generator, etc.
The only thing that will be different, is the 12 v. voltage regulator, no points, no condenser, or box coil, plus keeping the 12 volt battery at negative ground.

I Think this will be OK and will work just great.

souNdguy
07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
really not sure why he specified a 1956 regulator. ford didn't come out with the 12v gennies on tractors untill 1959 when the diesels came out.

Add to that that they are a B circuit regulator. when your rebuilder rebuilds that 8n A circuit wired genny, he will also have to wire it up as B circuit.

Right now one side of the field hits armature, and the other side hits the field post. when it is rebuilt, one side of the field will need to be grounded, and the other side hitting the field post.

soundguy