My next task,,Toro 421,,anyone know what motor this is??Pics. [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: My next task,,Toro 421,,anyone know what motor this is??Pics.

flash5153
07-15-2011, 09:19 PM
It a older model,,lol. It runs and I used it last winter. It needs a tune-up and the carb cleaned /adjusted. It has no tags,,,,I'm not sure what size /make motor this is,,,anyone???

Also any info on this would be helpful. It seems to surge when running,,might not be getting enough gas. I'm going to tear it apart ,,clean it and check gaskets.

In the drive trans,,in picture,,,there is a plug for draining. What oil is in that??? Should I change it??

oldebonnie
07-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Tecumseh HS40 was OE.

flash5153
07-15-2011, 10:52 PM
I just found some videos on U-tube showing a few of these all cleaned up ,,restored.

It said they are the 1981 model,,,, 4 hp motor with a 21 inch wide cut path. 421 Toro!! These things will really blow some snow!!! It's a 2 stage with 3 speed drive.

I am having a problem with the govener kicking in while idling. Making the engine rev up and down. I don't know why it does this.

Shryp
07-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I had a Toro 3521. Same machine, but mine had a Tecumseh H35 engine. But then I switched it out for a Harbor Freight 6.5 HP Greyhound :)

Mine just had grease in the front gearbox, no idea what was suppose to be there though. I sold it and upgraded to a bigger Ariens.

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/Low_Res/Toro11.jpg

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/Low_Res/Toro4.jpg

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/Low_Res/Toro7.jpg

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/Low_Res/Toro9.jpg

flash5153
07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I see the tag on yours,,,I didn't realize it was there. Without going out to look I can scroll up and see in my picture that there is a tag on mine too.

I will punch the numbers in and see if I can come up with a manual or some info. on it.

If I can get this thing running perfect. I might just clean er up and throw a little paint on it.

Shryp
07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
If you check the top of the engine on the flat spot right by the spark plug you should see the engine numbers too. You will probably need some sand paper or a wire brush to knock the rust off.

flash5153
07-16-2011, 02:44 PM
I put my numbers into a search. It took me toro .com where they say you can download a manual. But I can't figure out how. Model: 38010 is there though.

Shryp: That is a good looking machine,,,it amazing how well these things blow snow,,for a 30 year old unit like mine.

I saved it from the scrap yard 2 years ago. A friend of mine was on his way,,had it loaded . I seen it and gave him $10 for it. I cleaned the carb ,put some gas in it and it started right up. Used it last year but noticed it still runs a little rough.

I figure it worth putting some time into it. Do a little maintenance which I don't think it has ever had. I can do all that without a manual,,but it would be nice to have one!! lol

oldebonnie
07-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Flash, I have a 421 too. Very well built, and powerful enough because it isn't too wide. The narrower two-stage fits my needs, because I have some narrow sidewalks and a couple of gravel drives.

I have been looking for a Toro shop manual for this model without success for a couple of years. Plenty of info is available on the engine.

Shryp, how involved was the engine swap? I presume the new engine has two ptos in roughly the same places as the HS40 and spinning the same directions?

Shryp
07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
My 3521 had a single shaft engine on it. The Greyhound was an exact replacement. The mounting holes, pulley and belts were same as the old ones. The only modifications I needed were a new bolt to hold the crankshaft pulley and the 2x4 spacer for the crank chute.

For the manual:
go to http://toro.com
click the homeowner link
bottom left second section click on owners manuals
type 38010 into the product search box
that should give you 3 choices based on year / serial

<hmm this works with firefox, but on chrome clicking the links does nothing?>

click your serial number
looks like the 1981 manual is the only one available for download
click on the manuals button and then the operators manual is available

flash5153
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I tore it apart today. The gas line,that runs through the middle of the motor,,needs to be replaced. I found a bearing ,for shaft to front gear box ,,is gone!!! The bearing is just inside the pulley,,I have to remove the pulley from shaft to get to it. Its going to be tough.
The whole front shaft is just flopping around because that bearing is not just worn,,but literally gone!!
I really wasn't planning on tearing it apart this far,,but,,,,hmmm,,I'm going to paint it up while it is apart.

Going to get some Toro red tomorrow,,and figure out how I'm going to get that pulley off there. I have no idea where I'm going to get the new bearing,,but I will figure it out when I get it apart.

flash5153
07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Here's the pulley and the bearing,,the best I can take a picture of it.

Shryp
07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Here is how to change the bearing on a 5/24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0aNSn_2Bs

flash5153
07-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Here is how to change the bearing on a 5/24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0aNSn_2Bs

Cool,,,,,I know what I'm in for. All though a different model,,it looks the same to me. Hopefully i can find a Toro parts dealer around me for the bushing.

flash5153
07-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Well because of the weekend I have not got parts yet. And I have not removed the pulley. Its on there good. All I have is a propane torch,,its not enough heat to get er done.
Tomorrow I will get the pulley off and get the bushing. But I have sanded and taped everything else off for a new paint job. Except the auger and assembly,,I'll save that till I fix it.

My restoration is going to OK,,,not professional but not bad. I looked up Toro red paint ,,and I see it has changed over the years,,,they bought wheel horse and I think are the same colors now.
I'm buying paint tomorrow too,,hope I can find the right color for this year!! 1980,,lol!!

When tearing something like this apart,,it cool to be able to see exactly how it all works. If it ever breaks,,I will know what has happened,,or at least have a very good idea.

Hope I'm not boring you all. I should have it done by the end of the week.

flash5153
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
I can't get this pulley off. I have beat it up pretty bad. I was about to cut it off and just buy another,,but just looked at the price of a new one!! $94!!! yikes!!

Any ideas on how to get it off??? Pictures of it above^ I cut some boards on an extreme angle ,,and wedged them under pulley on each side.4 total coming from each side overlapping each other to force pulley up.. Then heated it with propane torch(all I have) and put large solid pipe(pointed) on shaft and hit it. It won't budge. But bent the pulley a little.
I know I need more heat,,that's next !!

I have a bushing on order, but have finished everything else. Just waiting on that part and getting this pulley off.

I rebuilt the carb,,new gas line ,,and changed oil. I found some problems in the carb,,,it runs great now!!! Got er painted up all nice and perty!!

evo803
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=flash5153;1800168]I can't get this pulley off. I have beat it up pretty bad. I was about to cut it off and just buy another,,but just looked at the price of a new one!! $94!!! yikes!!

Any ideas on how to get it off???
QUOTE]

Drill 2 holes through the pulley very close to the hub and use a steering wheel type puller.Use lots PB blaster or other type of solvent.Just be patient and let it soak under tension from the puller. Typically after some time a couple of sharp hits to the puller it will come loose. If this fails try mapp gas, it burns much hotter than propane, and the puller at the same time. Hope this helps.

Shryp
07-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Try a pickle fork used for separating ball joints or tie rod ends. Your will probably need the ball joint one as it is a little wider. You could also look for a used pulley on ebay or something.

flash5153
07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Well I got the pulley off,,it fought me the whole way. The pulley was in sad shape after all that. But I managed to bend it back into shape pretty close. I can do some final adjustments on it after I put it all back together and watch it spin.

I have the auger out now,,all cleaned up and painted,,,,still wet!!! I drained the oil out of the auger " transmission" (I'm not sure what that is called )
It looks like a heavy weight oil,,but I'm not sure what weight?? Anyone know??

Shryp
07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
The old Ariens used 90w. You could probably get away with any 85w90 differential oil, but that is just a guess. No idea what Toro used.

98Murray
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Got er painted up all nice and perty!!

Looks good :thThumbsU

flash5153
07-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm ******!! To say the least. I got the part today for the auger. Just put it all together and go to start it up and it wont start. This is a machine that normally starts on first pull even at 10 below.
I check: got gas!! No spark!!! ***?? I feel like scrapping the whole damm thing!!

I just had it running 2 days ago perfectly just waiting on part to complete it. What are the odds the the coil quits at the very time I complete the restoration???

flash5153
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry about my above post!! ^^^^

I took the flywheel off and cleaned the points,,also found the coil wire was possibly grounding out. Put it back together and it runs great now.
What bad timing for that to happen. 2 weeks of working on it,,get it all together and call the GF over to look at it and it won't start.

Thanks for the help. It's all done though,,here's before and after pics.