Bench this is my Honey do [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Bench this is my Honey do

jodyand
05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
This is a bench that i pick up out of the trash a while back. The wife talked me into working on it today. All the wood was rotted but it had heavy cast iron sides. So today i took all the wood off what was left anyways and cut all the old bolts off. Took my die grinder with a wire wheel and went to cleaning all the rust off and then primed and painted them. Tomorrow i well get the wood cut to size and get all the holes drill and counter sunk and painted and sometime during the week get it all put back together and post a picture of it. This is what the sides look like now.

drbailey
05-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Jodyand , you don`t just talk about it , YOU do it . Looks good

Jim_WV
05-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Jody, what a nice find :fing02: That will be a nice looking bench once you get completed I'm sure. I got one down over the hill by my wood pile that the wood is rotted on and need to do the same thing. It comes in handy when my old bones get tired and need a rest, you've inspired me to do the same thing with it now :trink40:

chipmaker
05-14-2005, 09:03 PM
What kind of wood are you gong to use for on it?

I have a few of those import Harbor Fright benchs, and whatever wood they use its pretty weird. Never seems to rot, but it gets blacker and soft as all git up. Its soft to begin with. I had though about getting some Teak to put on ours, until I got a price, and sure did not want to get another mortgage on the house for a lousy slatted bench.

Durwood
05-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Looks good Jody...I suppose you have already decided where it's gonna go? :fing32:

Dur

jodyand
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
I have some 1x4 treated pine that I'm going to cut down to 1x2 and use it. I have been having the wood from our front porch and i have all the bolts and nuts i need Stainless Steel might i add. So all it has cost me is about ten dollars for the paint. Durwood I'm sure the wife has a spot for it. :trink39:

mla2ofus
05-15-2005, 10:58 AM
We rescued a similar one from the dump recently and the seat boards were warped beyond belief. Replaced them with wesern cedar and reinforced them with lite angle iron on the bottom side. It works and looks great.
Mike

chipmaker
05-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Being I like to find me a nice place to set "with" shade, and if you place a bench in one place and frequent it a lot, the grass gets worn pretty bad, especially around this place as I do a lot of walking around and setting so it seems, so I made a bracket out of flat stock and a piece of round tubeing, that is attached to the backs of our benches, so now I can periodically move the benches and still have a mounting recepticle for the umbrellas........works fine. Previously I used to drive a iece of pipe into the ground for a place to insert umbrella, now the benches have it built into them. When umbrella is not attached its not noticeable.

LAst year we picked up a bunch of 6 and 9 foot market umbrellas that were on super special at the local harbor fright store......fully aware that odds were they would not last long, but so far they still look like new and we have yet to have any tear up........so we pretty well have just about every place covered with an umbrella if need be.......even the fur babies have a few out in there yard and over their houses.....for additional shade. I also have one over the wifes double half barrel water garden setup on the patio........the plants normally like full sun, but it got old everytime it rained having to drain out excess water.........now the umbrellas keep it right, as well as keeping out trash when trees loose leaves etc in the fall.

I used the one bench we have as a pattern to ram up and pour extra ends out of aluminum, and it worked out pretty good. Its not really cost efficient since you can get cast iron ends (complete bench) on sale at lots of places for under $25.00 around here and my time was worth something I think, but even at thata I still recycle and repair junk be it cost effective or not.......

Erin
05-15-2005, 01:13 PM
That is really awesome!!! :fing02: I can't wait to see them when they are done! You make it sound so easy! I have thown away a lot of thowns because I don't know how to fix them :fing20: -- now you are making me regret that!

jodyand
05-22-2005, 04:20 PM
OK i got it finish today and let me tell you its HOT here today. I think it turn out pretty nice and the wife loves it so i guess thats all that matters.

Jim_WV
05-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Jody, nice job :fing32: I'll bet the Mrs. is very happy with that, like the paint color too.

Now send me your address, and I'll ship you mine so you can re-do it just like yours, cause I know I'm never gonna do as good a job ROF

Argee
05-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Looks nice Jody :fing32:

the wife loves it so i guess thats all that matters.

Enough said :D