dead animal in the walls... How do you detect it? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: dead animal in the walls... How do you detect it?

simple_john
05-09-2005, 09:17 PM
someone i know mentioned they have a dead rodent in their walls..

they can not determine exactly where it is but its dead and rotting and half the house is smelly..

is there a way to detect where the decaying animal is without ripping into the walls?

i mean are there infared sensors or any modern way to sense that stuff nowadays?

Greg
05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Whatever it is you're drinking, SJ...I'd flush it down the head ASAP...

:beatdeadh :beatdeadh ROF

Sheeesh!

On a serious note, I'd contact an exterminator company and ask them if they have a method or equipment to detect them.

Aunt Greg

CatDaddy
05-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I'd say put a dog on the trail.

sixchows
05-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Not sure a dog would work on something already dead. I know when my dogs kill a racoon they just walk past the carcass like it's not even there.

Try an exterminator. They may have a way of finding what got away only to die later in the walls.

CatDaddy
05-09-2005, 09:57 PM
My lab/golden mix can find every carcass within a half-mile. She promptly does a shoulder roll in the remains when she tracks it down. Yuck! At least she takes the follow-up bath without complaint.

USN_ED
05-09-2005, 10:41 PM
It's kind of like trying to determine which one of the three old widows cut a fart during the church service. You know it was one of them but none of them are willing to admit it and none of them will blame one of the others.

I'd say that unless the house/building is built on a slab, the dead rodent is in the crawl space or basement (under or behind) something. Most animals know when the jig is up or nearly up and they will seek an open area to kick the bucket.

Failing that, go around the entire house/building and pull the receptacle covers as you go and give a good strong sniff in each one. The strongest odor will give you a pretty accurate idea of where the rodent is.

AFTER you locate the rodent, you may have a lingering stench in your nose. Wipe some Wintergreen under you nose on your upper lip and the stench will soon go away.

ED

sixchows
05-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Angel
My dogs find things they didn't kill too. Sometimes I'll catch them eating a dead squirrel. I guess if they smelled something "new" they might track it down.

Reminds of the time two of them, Xena and Zim, caught a cat and flushed him out from under the shed. They got him before he could get over the fence. We heard them barking like crazy and a cat screaming and hissing. When we went out to find them, they had the cat cornered and he was beat up badly. No blood but couldn't move his back legs. Managed to get the dogs away and inside and went back to help the cat. He had a tag but wouldn't let me close enough. So I had to move the tag with along stick to get the phone number of the owner. He came with a pet carrier to get the cat. Funny thing is whenever anyone comes anywhere near my house the dogs bark like crazy. When this guy came and walked right past where they were, total silence. Like they knew to act like there were no dogs here! Strange animals!

Michael
05-10-2005, 05:43 AM
SixChows, That your dogs got the cat is to bad. But the dogs were doing their job and stopping the interloper from getting to close. That cat did not belong there and the dogs got it. Our 2 dogs have a cat buddy called Brownie our old barn cat (she remains on the property and never roams off our property). That cat is about 9 pounds and is a absolute fellow cat hater with our dogs. The other night a interloper (another cat) was on the property and the dogs were chasing the cat. The interloper made one mistake and it was to run in the shop thru the cat door, whoops Brownie was in the shop and she mauled that cat, that was a good 5 pounds heavier then Brownie. I had a a mess to clean in the shop, because there was a bloody mess in the center of the shop before the cat shot out of the garage and hightailed it off the property with our 2 dogs in hot pursuit until the cat jumped the fence. What also annoys me is that folks let their cats to roam loose all over the neighborhood and do not take responsibility to what this does. Most cats stay near their property but the Toms like to roam and always find trouble.

Ken in NJ
05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I'd say put a dog on the trail.

Call the local police and tell them you think someone broke into your house and disposed of some body parts in your walls while you were on Vacation ... then they will call a police department in your area who has a cadaver dog to search.

Or they may just take you away to the funny farm ...

:bonk:

kss
01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I too am trying to find out how to find a dead squirrel in our house.We have tried the exterminator and they apparently do not have any "equipment" to locate a dead animal. I do like the idea of checking the recepticles. We might have a dog come over to try to smell for it. Any other ideas? Do you know if Animal Control people have any equipment?

simple_john
01-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I too am trying to find out how to find a dead squirrel in our house.We have tried the exterminator and they apparently do not have any "equipment" to locate a dead animal. I do like the idea of checking the recepticles. We might have a dog come over to try to smell for it. Any other ideas? Do you know if Animal Control people have any equipment?

hi, i started a new thread on this
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=36541

Dan Lovell
01-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Dan hates cats, they were always crappin in the kids sandbox. People that let their cats roam at night should be shot.

Dan

mark777
01-02-2007, 04:34 PM
The cats didn't try to bury the kids did they??

Edward
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Dan hates cats, they were always crappin in the kids sandbox. People that let their cats roam at night should be shot.

Dan
AMEN!! we must have been separated at birth! I hate strays (if they belong to someone who lets them run lose, I call them stray because there's laws to keep them off others properties...) who crap/mark the kids' toys. GRR!!! Neighbors are too lazy to keep their cats in. I have several animals yet respect others' properties by not defecating on it!
So guess what? I got a 19.99 trap at HF and away they go. No more neighbors feeding their cats outside. No more food outside drawing armadillos, coons, possums or ferrels at night.

Dan Lovell
01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
The cats didn't try to bury the kids did they??

Mark don't know what that means, but if you got a cat keep it out of my yard.

Dan

Ken N Tx
01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Mark don't know what that means, but if you got a cat keep it out of my yard.

Dan

Its an old joke Dan...You must be young!! :ROF

Dan Lovell
01-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Its an old joke Dan...You must be young!! :ROF

It must be an old Texas joke cause Dan ain't young. 67 But I'll laugh anyway :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

mark777
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Dan..relax, I don't own, nor have I ever owned a cat (inside or outside type). I guess I'm neutral about their existence...I know that they keep the snake, rat, mice and other rodent population down around here...which is a good thing.

If they present more problems than benefits for you than I understand your position.

Mark

Dan Lovell
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Mark get yourself a cat, next time I'm down in Texas I'll come over and give it a swift kick for you. :bananapow

Dan

Edward
01-02-2007, 09:37 PM
They make nice tennis racquets!