Generalized Tractor Recommendation [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Generalized Tractor Recommendation

Wingnut
02-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Generalized Tractor Types for Land size
__________________________________________________ _______________Land size ................... Recommend Tractor Size
Acres 0-3 ............... Garden Tractor (8 - 24 hp No 3pt Hitch)
Acres 3-12 .............. Sub-Compact Utility Tractor (12-28 hp with 3-pt hitch)
Acres 10-35 ............ Compact Utility Tractor (28-40 hp with 3-pt Hitch Cat 1 or 2)
Acres 30-100 .......... Full size Tractor (35-70 hp with 3 pt Cat 1-3 Hitch)
Acres 100+ ............. Fullsize 50+ hp
__________________________________________________ _______________
Do y'all agree to this as a general reference?

Of course specific requirements and land uses are not address.

glenn27
02-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Wingnut--That seems to be a very detailed, quick reference list...I'm going to print her out and keep it handy..
Thank You, Sir... :hatsoff:

bontai Joe
02-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Looks pretty good to me!

pigsitter
02-12-2006, 01:46 PM
looks like you hit the nail right on the head!! :fing32:

Mickey
02-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I guess I take a little different view of the description than the others. Tractor class should be by physical size and features, not HP and suitability should be by tasks and not acreage.

Would you classify an older 8/9N Ford, MF 35,135, etc as compacts or small full size models? By HP they fall into the CUT class but many of these were the main tractor for family farms in their day.

Up until I bought my Yanmar I used my bil's Kabota, 30-35 HP model to mow my 3 acre's of pasture and with the grass tall enough to cut for hay, this tractor and mower were straining in a lot of area's. I sure would classify this tractor in same class as the small older Ford's, MF, etc. But by the above list this tractor was more tractor than needed for the land size.

I'd classify my Yanmar as a full CUT and it is rate as 24 pto HP. (9 fwd speeds + creep range, shift-on-the-go, PS, 4sp pto, FEL rated for >2k#, 24" rear tires) Same series tractors were available down to 16HP and up to 40HP. By the list my, model would be called a sub-CUT. For a few tasks I've found my tractor to be a little small.

Just my $.02.

Splicer
02-12-2006, 02:57 PM
I thought that LT's were for up to 1.5 acres and a GT is for 1-3 acres?

Wingnut
02-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Its a very board generalization there is a exception to every rule and to every era, I can't categorize every 2 Fool tractor through todays mass produced JD LT's.

Kbeitz
02-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I believe it depends where you live...
15 acres in the Arizona desert or
Georgia swamp or even in NYC would not have much of a need for a tractor...
Even if you have 15 acres in the country and you have all woods.... What need would most people have for a tractor...
You gotta want to play to have tractor toys...

jdkubotamurray
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, need for a tractor and having tractors can be different things.........

Dutch-NJ
02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
I guess I take a little different view of the description than the others. Tractor class should be by physical size and features, not HP and suitability should be by tasks and not acreage.

I agree with Mickey.

Compare maintaining a 100 acre golf course with a 20 acre farm.

HydroHarold
02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't really "NEED" a tractor... I did OK with a 21" walker Snapper and a Snapper 8/26 snowblower...

But I "HAVE A NEED" to have a tractor. So it's a GX335, 42" snowthrower, 4' plow, dethatcher, cart and a plugger... Hence I got fatter by being needy. Sadly I can't justify something with tracks...:D

Wingnut
02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I agree with Mickey.

Compare maintaining a 100 acre golf course with a 20 acre farm.

Which would be easy to generalize the task or tractor? I not comparing the task 100 acre golf course to a 20 acre farm and I am comparing a 20 acre farm to a 100 arce farm.

Tractor don't fall into CUT class by HP, they are classed by weight and dimension.

slipshod
02-12-2006, 09:26 PM
I believe a tractor lover should have several tractors, just because. Like it was said everything depends on the usage, just mowing, full fledged farming, wood lot management, or some other combination ?

Wingnut
02-12-2006, 10:05 PM
The Chart above was Data collected by Texas A&M on new tractors purchases and land size in the last 10 years (92% of the Tractors were bought to work that acres size of land).

The 8% of the Tractors (16,000) purchase fell outside the acres size stated. Tractors can be adapted to Hot Texas Summer to cold Canadain Winter, from the deserts to bogs.

This is generalized data it fall within 92% sure there are geographical area's that every tractor would fall outside 92%. Could we agree on that????

P.S. In this data it was not saying that one tractor was bought for that size of land. example: a person could have 2 arces around the house and bought an lawn tractor, and the other 50 acres they bought a fullsize 60 hp tractor to work it.

The data was "The average size tractor purchased to work this many acres of land in North America"

HydroHarold
02-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Wingnut, are you stirring up trouble again with all that statesticle data? :D

Wingnut
02-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Wingnut, are you stirring up trouble again with all that statesticle data? :D

You Betcha!!!! :bannana:

glenn27
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Let me get a big paddle--I can help stir it, too....

seriously--i will keep it as a quick reference note, in that the area I live in is not as heavyily infested w/ tractors as maybe, say--Texas!!!

Enuff-said.......Thank you, Wingnut... :hatsoff:

Mickey
02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Now that's a tractor of a different color if you are saying from a study this is what the study found. I was thinking this was something you came up with Wingnut. If tractor class is better stated by size and weight, that would have been a better way to state it than HP. But if you were just reporting what a study said. No harm, no foul.

Wonder how big a sample the study included? What was the geographical area covered? Locale does plays a big part in the conditions any use one can typ experience. Cutting spring grass in the PWN isn't the same as one would find in typ mid-West states.

jdkubotamurray
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Was it Mark Twain that said, Lies, **** lies and statistics.

Wingnut
02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Now that's a tractor of a different color if you are saying from a study this is what the study found. I was thinking this was something you came up with Wingnut. If tractor class is better stated by size and weight, that would have been a better way to state it than HP. But if you were just reporting what a study said. No harm, no foul.

Wonder how big a sample the study included? What was the geographical area covered? Locale does plays a big part in the conditions any use one can typ experience. Cutting spring grass in the PWN isn't the same as one would find in typ mid-West states.

Size and weight is the better way the state tractor class:
FarmPro 10-20 (Cut) Yanmar 1610 (subCut)
114"...............................103"....................Length
50" ................................44"....................Width
86" ................................69"....................Height
2660 lbs..........................1299 lbs................Weight
20 Hp...............................20 Hp

Note: This is one of my big issue about classification, between subcut, cut, full-size its is the manufactures that classify them. A tractor is built to fit a market (expected in a market driven economy) in the Table above there is a 10%-12% difference in dimension between a Sub-Cut and Cut, but the one tractor weights in over twice as much. You could debate what is a Full-Size Tractor? You could fit a Full-size Tractor into a tire of another Full-Size Tractor.

Everything was classified by Lawn/Garden, Sub-Cut, Cut, Full-size that is a big Range Equipment, The average range of HP of each class.

Mickey if we look at your Tractor Yanmar Fx24D
It a Cut 24 hp. weight 2523 lbs. It falls right into the Average of a CUT

Recommend Tractor Size
Acres 3-12 .............. Sub-Compact Utility Tractor (12-28 hp with 3-pt hitch)
Acres 10-35 ............ Compact Utility Tractor (28-40 hp with 3-pt Hitch Cat 1 or 2) **

***descrepancy should have been 20 - 40 HP that needs to be noted and corrected.

To me the most important stat on a tractor is Torque, but People (in Marketing) understand HP; it is an easy numbering system for them about engines.
They don't think "378 ft LBS. of Torque at 1500 RPMS" would be as pretty on the side of the hood as 28HP.

Wingnut
02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Recommend Tractor Size (Corrected --Hey the print was small and my glasses are scratched up)
Acres 10-35 ............ Compact Utility Tractor (20-40 hp with 3-pt Hitch Cat 1 or 2)

Wingnut
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Was it Mark Twain that said, Lies, **** lies and statistics. You forgot Marketing

Mickey
02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
You also have the situation where here in the stated HP is normally engine HP while tractors from Japan normally rated as PTO HP. Same engine in US and Inport could be rated differently.

horseman1
02-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a good general guideline to get you in the ballpark, then you can do some research as to what tasks the machinery will be required to do and see if you can accomplish them with the class of machine recommended or not.

I will have some trouble justifying the Farmall using this chart :). The other 3 I can cover!