2011 Simplicity Regent or Broadmoor?? [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: 2011 Simplicity Regent or Broadmoor??

Freebe
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey guys here's my situation..

I'm going to buy a new mower this year, and I'm already brand loyal to Simplicity. I went to my local dealer and was told the Regent 22/44 had a limited slip rear end.

Having a limited slip rear end is a HUGE selling point for me, I mow around 2 acres of hills.

Well, come to find out he made a mistake, the Regent does not have limited slip, and if I wanted it I need to step up into a Broadmoor hitting me for a extra $1000.

So what do you guys think? Is there enough difference between then to justify the extra money?

Any advise is appreciated.

Freebe

TennesseeJim
03-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Freebe;

You are right on wanting that Automatically Controlled Traction as simplicity calls it. I had it on my Conquest and now on a Legacy xl. It is really nice. The Broadmoor is just a little more mower. But here is the main thing with the Broadmooe you can get a Vanguard Engine.

That alone is worth the jump. That is Briggs best engine and you hardly can find anyone saying a bad word about it. So you get a little bigger tractor, ATC and a Vanguard engine, Electric height of cut as well, nice, but the retail is more for the vanguard.

You should be able to get that retail price broke down as well, You should be able to a deal. best buy would be the broadmoor and the vanguard.:thThumbsU

Burntime
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I do not like the regent personally. Its the simplicity cut and thats it in my opinion. I would at least go to the broadmore or conquest. If you want to buy to last for 20 years go higher... The broadmore is nice but does not have the rear end a conquest or better yet a prestige has. It also is not a very fast ground speed. It does however cut really well!

TennesseeJim
03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Freebe;:fing20::fing20: I recently talked to my Simp dealer about a Broadmore for a friend and he quoted a 46" Broadmore with a 20 HP Vanguard engine for $3999.

Now with the 52" deck it's $4399..........However on the Simp website I don't see a vanguard offered with a 46" deck..............

but that's how he quoted it...........

Andy
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Mutton Power has a broadmoor 20/52 for 3,999.00

Freebe
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Appreciate the input! I've got a 1993 broadmoor now, 14 hp Kohler Command, 38" deck I bought new. It's a great mower, but kinda undersized for what I'm doing now.

I guess in my old age I hate coming off the extra cash, and was hoping the lower priced Regent might do the trick.....in the back of my mind I had my doubts.

That being said, if it holds up like my old '93 it would probably be money well spent. That thing has mowed a ton of grass.

Thanks again.

Freebe

Jay H
03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree with everyone else that if you can find the cash, stepping up to the Broadmoor is really worth it.

If I simply had to cut grass and do nothing else with the tractor, the 20 hp Vangard Broadmoor with the new style 52" deck would be my choice in the whole line up of Simplicity mowers. That Vangard is an exceptional motor and the Broadmoor is very well built.

TennesseeJim
03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Since you had a broadmore and Kohler command you might consider broadmore and a Vanguard;

Those are the two best air cooled engines yhat are common in these machines;many others will give great service as well, but those two are hard to beat

Freebe
03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Will do. I'm going to talk with my dealer this weekend.

Thanks again all!

Brent

Jimmyjo
03-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey guys here's my situation..

I'm going to buy a new mower this year, and I'm already brand loyal to Simplicity. I went to my local dealer and was told the Regent 22/44 had a limited slip rear end.

Having a limited slip rear end is a HUGE selling point for me, I mow around 2 acres of hills.

Well, come to find out he made a mistake, the Regent does not have limited slip, and if I wanted it I need to step up into a Broadmoor hitting me for a extra $1000.

So what do you guys think? Is there enough difference between then to justify the extra money?

Any advise is appreciated.

Freebe I have a Regent 22/44 that does a great job of cutting but traction is poor. I don't use mine on hills or mowing roadside becouse of traction. With 2 acres to cut and hills make the broadmoor the least Simplicity to go with. It has a better tranny and motor that's well worth the price over the Regent.

Freebe
03-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Well, I think my mind is made up.....

A Broadmoor it is. I've had excellent results from my other one, and have no reason to think this one will be any different.

Thanks for all the input!
Freebe

Freebe
03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Well, here;'s my update....

The good : I've decided to pony up and go with a Broadmoor 22/44

The bad : I picked up the 2011 catalog, the 22/44 is advertised as having a Briggs 'Professional Series' engine, not the vanguard.

What have you guys heard about this engine?

Appreciate you all sharing your knowledge with me!

Thanks,

Freebe

dieseldave24v
03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Well, here;'s my update....

The good : I've decided to pony up and go with a Broadmoor 22/44

The bad : I picked up the 2011 catalog, the 22/44 is advertised as having a Briggs 'Professional Series' engine, not the vanguard.

What have you guys heard about this engine?

Appreciate you all sharing your knowledge with me!

Thanks,

Freebe

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=141501

SEE THE LINK ABOVE.

I have this engine and dont have a single bad thing to say about it

Freebe
03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks DieselDave!

I also found this thread

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=125637

Freebe

TennesseeJim
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Freebe;

I had the 24HP B7S pro in a Conquest but only had it a few hours. It was a strong engine, ran good and quiet. Now I talked extensively with my Simp dealer about it.

He said that a couple of years ago all the tech's (He is One) had complained to Simplicity/B&S that the intek's and new Pro's had avery poor air filter design that was allowing dirt into the intake and would hurt those motors. As a result they re-designed the intake on it and you will that it is much better. It has a rubber cone type filter that fits tightly and has an outside foam prefilter as well. I have a new Legacy XL with a kawasasaki and it has a great air filter, but basically the same .Pre foam and paper then a tight seal. The dealer says that it turned those engines around, that are good and they are not seeing the prior problems. So I do think the Pro is a good engine and better than a Kohler Courage.

However the Vanguard by Diahtsu remains the flagship engine at Briggs, It has a long track record and much commercial use as well. The Diesel in the Legacy is a Vanguard. By the way Kohler Command have a great rep and lots of commercial record as great as well.

So is the pro good, yes I think so. It is not as bad as the original with poor air filter. It has pressure lube, spin on filter. Will give many hours.

So is the Vanguard good, well it is probably great as these air cooled engines go. So you get down to price and longevity. These are usually 1000 hr rated motors. That's a long time, they may both outlive us!

Compare the price difference of the Pro vs Vanguard, is it worth it to you? If you feel better with the best get the Vanguard. If you take great care of your engine, oil change, clean Air filter and it is for home service, the Pro should last a long time as well.
:trink39::trink39::trink39:

Freebe
03-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks Jim! I'm kinda stuck with the Professional engine....I only want the 44" deck. I'm really good with home maintenance......almost obsessive, I think it's key to keeping all things nice.

Thanks for your input!

TennesseeJim
03-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Freebe; Go for it, look at that air cleaner; that was the problem before; the new ones are a complete redesign on the air filter. I had one on that Conquest and it was a Hoss. I actually think that Pro motor gets a bad rap from all of us guys who like to talk about motors and stuff.

But it's kinda like this, A Porsche has a hand built motor and is a better motor than the classic 350 chevy V8.

But that Chevy V8 will take you a lot of miles if you service it right. :dogrun:

And the way that Broadmore is, you will wear out the Vanguard or the Pro before you wear it out!

Hey Auto Traction Control, electric height of cut; 22Hp, that will be a real :fing32::fing32:mowing machine

Freebe
03-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks all for setting my mind at ease. I've had really good luck with Simplicity in the past, I suppose there is no reason to think I won't continue having good luck in the future.

Freebe

John-RF
03-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm maybe going to get some flack for saying this BUT there is NO way I would settle for anything less than a Conquest with a 54" deck to mow 2 acres with hills. Don't know how steep the hills are but I have a mound system in the back yard and wouldn't be able to mow around the ends without the differentail lock on the Prestige. My son has a 918 Allis with a 48" deck and you would be surprised what difference that extra foot makes for every round. I would also consider a used Prestige, have seen some decent deals come along on ebay. If I get the deck squared away for the Agco (Sunstar) I am going to train the wife to drive one and then we can get done in a third of the time.:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Jay H
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
John makes a good point about the Diff Lock...and was one of the deciding factors when I bought a new Conquest back in 2003 over a Broadmoor.

However, a counter point may be:

A Kohler Courage powered Conquest with the new style 46" deck is $5200 list price and the Pro Series 44" Broadmore is $3500 list. That difference for not much more than a differential lock, larger rubber and slightly more ground speed (well, 2" more of deck width) may not be worth it for someone who may only be cutting lawn... That's a bit of money.

I do agree that another 6" or more of deck width can really make a difference. I noticed a measurable amount of decrease in time for me to cut my lawn going from a 54" deck to a 60" deck.

Freebe
03-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Both are great points, but sometimes ya gotta play the hand you're delt. I'm streching to get to the broadmoor. We've been using my old 38" broadmoor without traction control, so I'm hoping this will be a nice upgrade.

Thanks all,
Freebe

AMCJavelin74
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Both are great points, but sometimes ya gotta play the hand you're delt. I'm streching to get to the broadmoor. We've been using my old 38" broadmoor without traction control, so I'm hoping this will be a nice upgrade.

Thanks all,
Freebe

post pictures of the old machine.:trink39:

Freebe
04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
OK guys, I know I'm replying to a old post, but I finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 Simplicity Broadmoor. I feel like I got a great deal, I was going after the 22hp Briggs Pro, 44" deck. I went to a local dealer to check it out in person and much to my suprise the 44" broadmoor had a 27 hp Briggs pro??

So here's my question...the factory installs the larger motor on the 50 and 52" deck broadmoors, but they are also coupled with a larger tuff torq k62 high speed hydro. Wonder if I totally lucked out and ended up with not only a upgraded motor, but also tranny? Ever heard of them doing anything like this?

I'm not picking it up until the weekend, and will be crawling under as soon as I get her home.

Also, if it does have the k56 do you guy think there will be any issue with the larger motor?

Thanks gang,
freebe

Jay H
04-30-2013, 07:10 PM
So here's my question...the factory installs the larger motor on the 50 and 52" deck broadmoors, but they are also coupled with a larger tuff torq k62 high speed hydro. Wonder if I totally lucked out and ended up with not only a upgraded motor, but also tranny? Ever heard of them doing anything like this?

Congrats on the new tractor!

I would bet that someone wanted a larger deck for some deal the dealer made and your tractor might have had a larger deck, then got a 44" swapped in.

I don't think Simplicity would swap in a larger motor on the lower line transmission on the assembly line. I'd be curious to hear what transmission you end up with.

Freebe
04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm hoping you're right, how cool would THAT be! I'll definately post back and let you know.

freebe

Freebe
04-30-2013, 07:32 PM
post pictures of the old machine.:trink39:

I'll put up pics of the old and new side by side soon.

Freebe
05-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Guys, the day has finally come! I picked the new 27hp 44" cut Broadmoor (K57 Hydro) and all I can say is WOW! It's easily handling all the 'tough spots' on my hills, I think it's gonna be a perfect fit.

Now, here is a side by side picture of my 1993 38" 14hp Kohler Command Broadmoor and the new one.

Simplicity, I am a fan.

Freebe

Freebe
05-05-2013, 10:44 AM
The old one is going up for sale, what do you guys think is a good asking price?

Thanks,
freebe