Belt Keeps Coming Off Pulley [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Belt Keeps Coming Off Pulley

Robel
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi,

I have a Craftsman Tractor with a 40" snowblower attachment. The tractor is a 19.5 hp that's about 13 years old.

The problem is the belt A110 keeps coming off the pulley whenever I'm snowblowing. The pulleys appear to line up and the belt seems tight.

It was breaking the belts, now they just fall off.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

Thanks.

jhorwitz
12-28-2010, 03:37 AM
It could be lots of things, but it's very hard to comment without knowing the model numbers involved.

Provide specific info on the problem, as well. What is belt A110? That is, what is its function. Exactly what do you do to cause it to come off? (Engage blower, start to move forward, run into a pile of snow, etc.).

Maybe you can have someone else drive the machine while you watch carefully what happens.

Robel
12-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The lawn tractor model # is 917.259566.

Snowthrower is a Craftsman model # 486.24840.

A110 is the belt # that powers the snowblower. The belt doesn't come off when I engage the blower, it comes off while blowing snow, usually within a couple of minutes. It seems to come off the rear 5 1/2 inch pulley.

mdigby
12-28-2010, 08:11 AM
This is just a W.A.G. so I may be in left field. But I think the pulley or a belt "guard" may be damaged.

Is there a belt "guard" or retainer damaged or missing?

Are one of the pulleys damaged?

Is the belt damaged? (cut, nick or worn spot)?

Is the belt "clutch" mechanism tight or does it have play (wobble)?

Do you have manuals for the tractor or snowblower?

Is this equipment new to you, or has it run in the past FOR YOU without a problem?

I hope this is helpful. Let me know how it works out.

Fcubman
12-28-2010, 10:40 PM
An A110 sounds like an automotive type belt, " width, 110" long. It may not be the right belt for the application. It may be deforming under load, causing it to jump a pulley - especially if it's not tight enough.

Robel
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Well I had a small engine repair service come pick up the tractor and look it over. Saw nothing wrong with it.

Just got 3 inches of snow last night and took the tractor out this morning. Worked fine for half and hour, then snapped a brand new belt in half. This belt is a Gates A110 which is 112 inches long not 110 as I said before. I do believe it is an automotive belt which could be my problem.

Does anyone know a good heavy duty/industrial belt to replace this Gates 1/2 inch by 112 inch v belt with?

Thanks

GT_80
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I believe if you look for a NAPA belt, the PN should be something like "4L110W" - They are made by gates as well. If your blower has a 90degree belt twist on it, it may just be the design. My dad was chewing thru a belt a storm with his Berco blower. Has this only been happening recently? Maybe a bushing is worn, and it kicks sideways when it gets load on it. Maybe you need a 5/8" wide belt. That would make it come off if the belt it too narrow.

Robel
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
It just started happening out of the blue. Never had a problem with it until late last year and so far all of this year. I've broken my fourth belt today.

Now they're saying a nor'easter may hit here friday night.

Very frustrating.

Fcubman
01-19-2011, 03:06 PM
An A110 seems to be an automotive belt. It won't handle the power you're trying to put through it. I believe that belt is only rated for a few horsepower, maybe 5 or so, I can't remember. You need a stronger belt.

Robel
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
An A110 seems to be an automotive belt. It won't handle the power you're trying to put through it. I believe that belt is only rated for a few horsepower, maybe 5 or so, I can't remember. You need a stronger belt.

Do you have a suggestion? Manufacturer?

Thanks

Fcubman
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks

Perhaps someone like NAPA could cross the OEM number. They might also be able to come up with something given the length, width, and application of the belt.

Robel
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Fcubman
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Good luck - keep us posted, please!

GT_80
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I looked on NAPA website, and they don't list a 112 or a 110 inch Fractional Horsepower belt

Looking on Sears Parts Direct, you model comes up as 486248400 and it says the main drive belt is 55" long... do you only have one belt on the blower or two?

Diagram (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-486248400/0247/1500650/P9010403/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=3)

otherwise what they list as a snowthrower belt (not sure why they list 2) has a PN but no length

Joe Brinduse
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Snow thrower belt
Number:47278 Substitution:47846 Manufacturer authorized substitution: 47846 may differ in appearance, but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including 47278.
$63.99 In stock
IS this the belt?

Robel
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Snow thrower belt
Number:47278 Substitution:47846 Manufacturer authorized substitution: 47846 may differ in appearance, but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including 47278.
$63.99 In stock
IS this the belt?

I think that one is 114 inches long. Mine takes a 112 inch belt.

Robel
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I looked on NAPA website, and they don't list a 112 or a 110 inch Fractional Horsepower belt

Looking on Sears Parts Direct, you model comes up as 486248400 and it says the main drive belt is 55" long... do you only have one belt on the blower or two?

Diagram (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-486248400/0247/1500650/P9010403/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=3)

otherwise what they list as a snowthrower belt (not sure why they list 2) has a PN but no length

The 55" belt is the upper one that comes off the motor. I need the 112" lower belt that powers the snow thrower.

Joe Brinduse
01-19-2011, 05:30 PM
I just called my napa guy and that is a special sears only belt. I would call sears

Robel
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I just called my napa guy and that is a special sears only belt. I would call sears

Ok thanks, that's what I will do. I'll let you guys know how that belt works out. Hopefully that will cure the problem. I hate to spend that much money on a belt and have it last 20 minutes.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

BillB
01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure if you're familiar with searspartsdirect.com, but you can look up and buy a lot of Craftsman parts there. I looked up your snowblower model number, and the correct belt should be part number 47846, which is available for $63.99 plus shipping. Alternately, I looked up Agrifab (486 = Agrifab) part number 47846 on outdoordistributors.com: BELT, 5/8" X 114.25" (DAYC0). Sounds like you may be using the wrong size belt. Even if the length is 113", the pulleys probably need a 5/8" wide belt ("B" size) rather than a 1/2" wide ("A" size). You may be able to use a B111 size belt, but DO NOT use a fractional horsepower (regular automotive) style belt. It will not stand up the the power being transferred on the snowblower. You will need a Kevlar reinforced belt. I speak from experience. I tried using a fractional horsepower belt on my snowblower attachment, and it lasted about 15 minutes total. Best of luck.

BillB

jhorwitz
01-20-2011, 01:20 AM

Thanks
It isn't the manufacturer: It's the type of belt.

You need a belt labelled "outdoor equipment" and/or "agricultural" equipment and which is rated for clutching applications. Such belts are typically made with kevlar. Automotive belts are generally not suitable!

All dimensions of the belt can be critical. This includes not only length, but the top or outer face width; the bottom or inner face width; and the depth or height between the faces. This is especially true when the belt makes tight twists (90 degree turns in short runs, for example) or must clear closely spaced belt guards or run upside down over some pulleys (that is, with the normal outer face running in contact with a "flat idler" that has a wide surface, not a vee shape).

That said, damaged or misplaced pulleys (including the pulley itself or its bearings or shafts and mounts) or improperly placed or damaged belt guards also need to be ruled out. Make sure there is no resistance to pulley rotation without the belt and that all runs are lined up properly.

47flattie
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I have been using a kevlar blue belt #B111k this season in place of the sears belt 47846 on my 24838 blower with good success from Vbelts4less.com. Good quality, 1/3 the sears price and fast shipping.

Tractor-Holic
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
An "A110" belt is actually 112.3" long....my Dayco book doen't show a Gates A110.but their equivilant is that size...Dayco only shows a A110 belt in their "Super II" belt line up and a "super Blue Ribbon" series,only the Super II is rated for backside idler uses ,and it doesn't specify if they are Kevlar or not,I think no...

If you buy another belt I'd see if Gates has a listing for a 1/2" x 112.3" in their "Green Stripe" brand --if not I'd lok for one thats kevlar or aramid core reinforced..."regular" fractional HP belts wont hold up at all and aren't always the correct "V"--for example some "A" series belts are 11/32" "deep" but others are 13/32" deep--thats sometimes enough to de-rail one in a "fussy" application..

I find in general,the longer the belt,the more ofte they fail ,flip over or end up rubbing or tangling up on something..it gets discouraging when you must pay up to 50+ bucks for a stupid rubber band...yesterday I went to Tractor Supply for the first time,and I see they had the 5/8"x81" drive belt my Suburbans take,but they want 23 bucks for it..thats a "cheaper" price than most other places,but still a hefty chunk of change when your unemployed and broke and need your tractor ready to work...my snowblower on my Suburban eats belts FAST,but luckily the ones that fit it are only 53" x 5/8" so they aren't THAT bad as far as price--it would be nice if they lasted more than one or two storms though...

Robel
02-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Well I guess the belts that I was using were the problem. Gates automotive belts kept breaking so a local small engine repair shop ordered me an Oregon brand aramid belt. I just spent two hours cleaning up over 12 inches of Gore-Bull warming and had no issues with the belt.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I would never had realized the automotive belt wasn't strong enough for my snowblower.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the help.....

J.Gibson
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM

I'd try Tractor Supply Company before I spent $63 and change on a belt at Sears. You could buy 2 belts at TSC and take the Old Lady out to special dinner at Burger King for what the Sears belt costs. I'd also try a John Deere dealer if you have one near you, they have about the best belt selection around here, many grades and fraction of an inch increments. Prices are fairly similar to TSC.

jhorwitz
02-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Well I guess the belts that I was using were the problem. Gates automotive belts kept breaking so a local small engine repair shop ordered me an Oregon brand aramid belt. I just spent two hours cleaning up over 12 inches of Gore-Bull warming and had no issues with the belt.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I would never had realized the automotive belt wasn't strong enough for my snowblower.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the help.....
It's not just strength, it's also flexibility and grabbing power. The "outdoor equipment" or "agricultural" belts are tougher and grab better and are more flexible. They are designed for clutching applications and for twisting as they run past idlers in various axis directions.

Automotive belts and fractional horsepower belts (like you would use on belt driven power tools--circular saw, drill press, etc.) don't have what it takes.

Oo-v-oO
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I have been using a kevlar blue belt #B111k this season in place of the sears belt 47846 on my 24838 blower with good success from Vbelts4less.com. Good quality, 1/3 the sears price and fast shipping.

I placed my first order for belts through vbelts4less last month, on the 31st. Tonight, 8 days later, they finally sent me a UPS tracking number, but it is not in UPS' system yet so I don't know how long it's going to be before I receive my belts.

The prices are good, but so far I can't say that the turnaround is very timely.

Also - the E-mail I received from them identifies the company as "Belarus Tractor International". FYI...

jhorwitz
02-09-2011, 01:21 AM
I have just had a similar problem with something (not tractor related) bought from Target (off someone's gift registration list): Listed as shipped, didn't show up except as a "we got the paperwork" type tracking result for several days on the UPS website.

I think what happens is the vendor ships by contractor (cheapest way, of course) to UPS's not-too-far-from-you depot where UPS finishes the job.

Both Tractor Supply Co. and Grainger carry the proper type of belts, but TSC might not have the correct size. Grainger has better choices, but TSC is, I think, a bit cheaper. Both are better than Sears! Service at Grainger is outstanding and TSC is good, as well. It helps if either or both have stores local to you.

Oo-v-oO
02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
TSC doesn't carry the long belt, I think they only stock up to about 100" long and they were out of the short belt so I figured as long as I had to order I might as well get both.

They're coming from Wisconsin, and I am supposed to have them by Friday - not quite 2 weeks from the day I placed the order. These are spares so the long lead time isn't a big deal for me this time, but if this is common practice consider this a heads-up for anyone needing belts quickly.