Closing in the carport [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Closing in the carport

steve42
05-01-2005, 02:28 AM
Well, the wife and I always said we'd like to close in the carport and take out the wall at the end of our living room to make a great room.

It looks now like we've got to do something. We found out last month that she's expecting our third child. :bonk:

We have only been finished with Stage 1 of our Master Suite remodel (new bathroom and walk-in closet) for about a year and I was really hoping to start replacing the tacky paneling in our bedroom with drywall soon.

Now we have to make room for baby. Our modus operandi for the first two has been infant in a bassinet in our room for the first 3-4 months, then into the nursery. But now with a 6 yo daughter and a 3 yo son, we don't HAVE a nursery anymore.

It looks like what's going to happen is the baby will stay with us until he/she is sleeping pretty well through the night then we'll move the baby into the room with big brother.

I have to clear some rather big stuff out of our son's room to accomplish that, like the jukebox that wouldn't make the double 90 degree turn into my office. That's got to go to the aforementioned great room, but we aren't sure that we're going to take the wall out yet. I think we're going to build the new section as a separate room to begin with and use that as a playroom for the kids to get them out of the living room. That way when the baby is sleeping, the kids will be on the other end of the house playing and watching TV instead of in the next room.

This enclosure I'm planning will be a big step for me. We used contractors for the master bath remodel, but after that experience, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool do-it-yourselfer! I'll use a pro to tie in the electrical, but I'm not paying a contractor to disappear for weeks at a time and ignore my wife's wishes on design issues again.

The toughest thing about this addition, I think, will be that the carport and laundry room are a step down from the kitchen and living room. I don't want a step inside the house, so I'm going to build a floor over the slab.

This will involve:

vapor barrier
floor joists (leveled to get rid of the carport slope)
subfloor
new load bearing walls where the carport posts are now
putting in three windows
removing the existing kitchen door and finishing in the doorway
flooring/carpet
new 110 outlets, phone/network jacks and TV coax wiring
drywall and trim
putting a new door on the outside wall
putting siding on the exterior walls
building steps and an awning outside

Since we'll be giving the existing laundry room the same treatment, we'll have to pull out the washer, dryer, and water heater and build up the floor, then put them back in. This also means removing the existing doorway, cutting up higher into the wall and putting a new door in at the new height. The only thing that really works out is that the outlets and lightswitch in that room are higher than normal anyway, so I don't have to relocate them.

It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. Now, where did I plant that money tree?

Ken N Tx
05-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Steve, we all would like to see some pics of the area if you got or can get them..

steve42
05-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Steve, we all would like to see some pics of the area if you got or can get them..

I'll get some pics and post them. I'm not sure we want anybody to see the laundry room right now, especially in a public forum. :)

It used to be really organized... then we started using it. ;)

sixchows
05-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Steve
I'm guessing you have filed plans and cleared all this with the local building department, right?

steve42
05-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Steve
I'm guessing you have filed plans and cleared all this with the local building department, right?

Ah you see, there is no local building department. No zoning, no permits, no protection against my neighbor building a hog parlor next door.

You have to take the bad with the good I suppose.

chipmaker
05-01-2005, 06:39 PM
The best thing I ever did was enclose the carport. OUrs was on the end of the house, and it was a catch all for wind blown stuf and junk and things always got wet with a good blow. It was totally enclosed and an overhead garage door installed, but its now my shop and not a garage. Car ports are a waste of materials espeically if there is trees around or you get wind and rain.

steve42
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
The best thing I ever did was enclose the carport. OUrs was on the end of the house, and it was a catch all for wind blown stuf and junk and things always got wet with a good blow. It was totally enclosed and an overhead garage door installed, but its now my shop and not a garage. Car ports are a waste of materials espeically if there is trees around or you get wind and rain.

I'm assuming you closed it in a while back... we've had so much wind an rain the past year in our little corner of the world that you'd have never been able to keep the wind and rain out long enough to build something to keep the wind and rain out. Or something like that!

chipmaker
05-02-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm assuming you closed it in a while back... we've had so much wind an rain the past year in our little corner of the world that you'd have never been able to keep the wind and rain out long enough to build something to keep the wind and rain out. Or something like that!

Yep, quite a long while back, like in 1985 or so........