Go Cart Parts List [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Go Cart Parts List

lb59
12-10-2005, 10:01 PM
(Keep in mind this was 50 years or so ago.)

1*washing machine - automatic?
2*Motorized reel type lawn mower. These were used before the rotary mower was invented. Anyone remember them?
3*1934 Plymouth
4*bicycle
5*mine bolts -
6* steel pipe
7*Jack shaft -
8* twin size bed?

lb59
12-11-2005, 03:17 PM
(Keep in mind this was 50 years or so ago that my cousin his dad and I built this go cart.)

1*washing machine - automatic?
We used two of the gears that made the agitator go back and forth. This was used to construct the steering mechanics. Un like most automative steering that was made up of a steering gear box tie rods and other linkage we were basically able to use one set up which did the job of a steering gear box and the linkage all in one arrangement. We didn't need tie rods and all that linkage as all that was required was a short connector to each front wheel.
We also used one of the pulleys that rotated the washer drum on one end of the speed reduction jack shaft.

2*lawn mower
Motorized reel mower. These were used before the rotary mower was invented. Anyone remember them?
We used the engine for our power plant.

3*1934 Plymouth
all we used was the steering wheel.

4*bicycle -
All we used was the small rear wheel sprocket to put on the other end of the speed reduction jack shaft. we welded the larger pedal crank sprocket to the inside of the left rear wheel. and used a section of the bicycle chain to connect the two sprockets

5*mine bolts -
The kind they use to support coal mine ceilings to help prevent cave in ins.
We lived about a block from the factory that was one of if not the largest supplier of these bolts to the mining industry. They would buy square stock and turn it down to make the bolts.
We bought 2 pieces of 1" in stock from them and my uncle who was a machinist turned them down on the ends to make the axles.

6*pipe
Probably 3/4" STEEL.
We used pipe for several things. One thing we used it for was the combination motor mount clutch.

7*Jack shaft
Actually the type used to increase or decrease speed depending on which one is your goal.
You might say this became our one speed no reverse transmission.

8*and a twin size bed?
Frame we used it for the chassis, under carriage or what ever you want to call it.
=====
About the only thing we had to buy that wasn't some part off of some old junked thing was the 4 new store bought wheels.

Guess we didn't have any kind of old junk around that had any wheels on it.

Needless to say my cousin & I were the envy of all the other kids in the neighborhood.
50 years ago they all wanted us to take them for a ride on what just might have been the first go cart ever or at least the most unique one ever built.

I wish I would have kept it.
Today it would have been a unique one of a kind keepsake and a really great conversion piece.

The only keep sake I have from it is the last motor that was on it. This motor is way older than I am. Dad used it to saw fire wood for the old coal stove back in the early 1940s.

jodyand
12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
OK now it make a little more sense. :fing32:

Carl
12-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I read your list and was wrong on two parts. I read the 'mine' bolts as they were your bolts. The 34 Plymouth I figured that you used the whole stearing assembly.

1. Engine from an old real type Reo lawn mower.
2. 2 X 4 frame.
3. Barn door hinges for king pins.
4. Stearing gear and wheel from old car.
5. Wheelbarrow wheels in back with 'A' size 10" pulley bolted to wheel.
6. 10" X 2.75" semipneumatic wheels in front.
7. Direct drive no clutch. Push start.

Byron R
12-11-2005, 08:36 PM
No.7 Direct Drive.....Makes you try to bank the corners higher...Oh Maybe you had a throttle ... :fing20: ...Br,

lb59
12-11-2005, 09:44 PM
No.7 Direct Drive.....Makes you try to bank the corners higher...Oh Maybe you had a throttle ... :fing20: ...Br,

It wasn't direct drive.
Power was transferred from the motor by belt to a jack shaft then by a chain from the jack shaft to a bicycle sprocket welded to the left rear wheel.
Being one wheel drive eliminated the need for a rear end or a
differential.

The clutch capability was integrated in with the motor mounting system.

lb59
12-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Push start.

The first 2 motors we had on it were rope start.
The last motor the one I still have is crank start.
This motor is probably 65 to 70 years old maybe even older than that.

lb59
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
2*Motorized reel type lawn mower. These were used before the rotary mower was invented. Anyone remember them?

here is a picture like the mower we used.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49316

dirtybernie
12-12-2005, 02:52 PM

here is a picture like the mower we used.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49316
lb. you cant see that pic if your not a member there. although i'm sure everyone here knows what a gas powered reel mower is i included a pic of some. please note the REO. :eck21:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-6-antique-mowers-edgers-and-one-rider-OLD-NR_W0QQitemZ7729909679QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Kbeitz
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Wood plank
Reo engine
Front off cheap lawn tractor...
Horse shoe for clutch pivot.
Rope to pull clutch
nails to bend around axle to hold it on...
Red wagon wheels...
String to pull the gas...
Sister to tell me what I'm doing wrong...
Dad wondering where he went wrong....
See it all in the picture...
http://user.pa.net/~kbeitz/Post-em/myfirstcar.jpg

Carl
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Kbeitz did you leave the governor on or remove it for more speed? Actually with a clutch you were one level of sophistication above mine. Secretly your dad was pleased!

RoGT5k
03-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Nice rig Kevin!
It's nice to have pictures of earlier days and things you created.
Roger

Rodster
03-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi
Here is a picture ( about 1958 ) of my very first ride on the very first kart I built.
Rodster

mbkerk
03-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Kevin... You have come a long ways in your ability to build things!!!

My first cart was made out of plywood, push mower wheels held to the 2X4 frame with lag bolts, 2X4 front axle with a vertical bolt pivot in the middle and a rope tied to the ends for steering. What was unique about mine, was dad built the engine, a jack shaft to slow it down, and an always live axle with two hard rubber wheels fastened to it... all on a separate angle iron frame. That frame pivoted on some sort of hinge behind the seat, and to get the cart to move I would push a lever and force those spinning wheels to engage the concrete driveway! We never got as far as brakes, because after I rode it for all of 5 minutes and made 2" wide burned rubber strips all over the old mans driveway, he made me shut her down and told mewed would have to figure something else out! It never came out again...

RoGT5k
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
My homemade cart:
1) Small lawn tractor frame with wheels and steering intact
2) Plastic chair from 70's vintage cheap furniture for seat
3) Vespa motor scooter engine (two stroke engine, 3 speed manual transmission, clutch, and brakes combined)
4) Sprocket mounted to output hub on engine (where scooter wheel was supposed to mount) connected via roller chain to existing sprocket on rear axle
5) Long bent rod for stick shift
6) Bent flat steel pedals for gas, clutch, and brake

I had some pretty good stuff to work with....
Could do a little wheely with the right combination of weight distribution (throwing my weight backwards at just the right time), reving the engine, and popping the clutch.
I sold it to a friend for 10 bucks when I had enough with it, he sold it within a week for $50. I never was much of a salesman.