Husqvarna 2554 vs Cub Cadet LT1050 [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Husqvarna 2554 vs Cub Cadet LT1050

hovdeo
11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
In the process of buying a tractor mower for our 5 acre yard (fairly flat) and we have honed in on two models a Husqvarna 2554 (26 hp, 54 in, $2699) and a Cub Cadet LT1050 (26 hp, 50 in, $1999). I'm trying to get the pros and cons of the Husqvarna (and of the Cub).

hovdeo
hovdeo@yahoo.com

Olds455
11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
The Husqvarna is a more capable tractor. It's a GT frame, meaning it's stronger and can handle more attachments. I'm not sure what you plan on using the tractor for though. The 2554 is capable of handling snow throwers, snow plow, Johnny Bucket Jr., 3-pt hitch, and many more. The 1050 is an LT with a large mower deck. It's more comparable to a Husqvarna YTH2248. If you just plan on mowing, a CC 1050 is a decent tractor. Just make sure that's all you ever plan on doing. 5 acres is a lot of grass to mow with a GT or an LT.

professor
11-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Hovdeo, Welcome to MTF.
Have you considered a used tractor with a mower deck? Five acres is a huge amount to cut 4 feet at a pass.
You do have time to think about this right?

Mike

bontai Joe
11-21-2005, 02:34 PM
The Husqvarna is a GT and the Cub is an LT, so they don't compare well as far as capabilities. The GT would probably drag the LT around because of it's stronger heavier build, and the LT probably has a much tighter turning radius for mowing. Although still an LT, the Cub Cadet SLT1554 offers a 54" mower on a better frame than the Cub 1050 for about the same money as the Husqvarna you are looking at.

hovdeo
11-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Olds, Prof & Joe -

Thank you for you prompt responses!

I'm fairly new to the challenges of ~5 acres of "lawn" (+5 acres of woods) so bear with me. Some of the questions may come across as slightly naive.

Yes, I have time to think about it; not like I would need to mow a lot in Northern VA right now!

The principal usage of the tractor would be mowing and no snow clearing. Of course, it would be nice with some of the attachments out there for proper lawn care/maintenance as well. I looked at the Cub GT1554 ($2999) as well but found only minor differences in specs compared to the Cub SLT1554 and not sure if it would be worth the $400 difference.

Not sure about the time it would take to mow 5 acres with a ~50 inch mower and in 90F/90% humidity, I must admit that it is tempting to sub it to a local farmer who is more than willing to take on the job.

Any suggestion for a tractor with a mower deck and what $$$ to expect?

Hovdeo :00000060:

bontai Joe
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
If your 5 acres of lawn is reasonably smooth without woodchuck (ground hog) holes, the above mentioned Cub Cadet SLT1554 is a reasonable choice for under $3000 as is the Husqvarna or it's Sear Craftsman clone (both made in the same factory). If the lawn is actually old pasture and rough with hidden animal holes, then a bigger tractor with larger diameter, wider width tires will make the terrain seem smoother, and the ride a lot easier on your back. If the budget maxes out at around $3000, then the Husqvarna or Craftsman GT5000, or GT6000 would get a long look from me, before jumping up to the $5000 machines that will better handle this job.

Olds455
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
What are your plans for the property?

You might want to consider a used CUT w/ a finish mower and get an LT for right around the house. Many people take this approach.

The GT w/54" deck mowing 5 acres (217,800 sqft) at 5 MPH will take approximately 110 minutes if you do the math. However, I've found that I have to add another 50%, so you're looking at 2-1/2 to 3 hours to mow with a GT. It'll cost you less up front, but will you be happy in the long run?

hovdeo
11-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Used to be a pasture but the lawn is reasonably smooth, without any significant holes as far as we have been able to detect and we have walked it a few times. Deer is more of an issue than ground hogs.

Wife is hoping to seed some areas with cosmos to add some color and break up the monotony of the lawn, so that could take away and acre or two.

the additional 5 acres in the back will be cleared as part of the county's land mgmt program and used for hunting come next November. **** the deer!!!

No set budget but was hoping to stay south of $3K. Somebody quoted $10-20K for a use sub cut and that's more than a wee bit north of my dedication to my lawn; then I'd rather get my local farmer to do it! I could get a self propelled, $300 mower for the area around the house and around the trees in front of the house. There is always the high school kid in need of some $$$ for a 3 hr ride on the GT.

How much should a decent used cut w/a finish mower go for?

johndeere
11-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Take a look at a Cub Cadet 2554.Same number as the Husqvarna 2554 but more tractor.Price $4000.00 it has a 54'' deck with front swivel casters.It is a shaft drive tractor.Has a cast iron transaxel housing.It is built heavy duty and alot of tractor for the money.

Olds455
11-22-2005, 08:13 AM
You could look into a used ZTR. They'll still run around $3000-$4500 for decent machines. They'll make pretty quick work of 5 acres. Steer clear of the "consumer" line of ZTRs. They have definite weak spots in steering linkage and mower decks. One Husqvarna unit even uses the same 48" deck that's on the YTH2248. It's decent for the money, but you may have some significant downtime fixing mandrels.

slkpk
11-22-2005, 08:33 AM
There are a lot of really good used GT's around that can be had at resonable prices have you considered this route? A GT will be able to handle other tasks around the place as you will soon discover. With 5 acres you will soon appreciate having a GT that you can get on and get it done. slkpk

chrpmaster
11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Used to be a pasture but the lawn is reasonably smooth, without any significant holes as far as we have been able to detect and we have walked it a few times. Deer is more of an issue than ground hogs.

Wife is hoping to seed some areas with cosmos to add some color and break up the monotony of the lawn, so that could take away and acre or two.

the additional 5 acres in the back will be cleared as part of the county's land mgmt program and used for hunting come next November. **** the deer!!!

No set budget but was hoping to stay south of $3K. Somebody quoted $10-20K for a use sub cut and that's more than a wee bit north of my dedication to my lawn; then I'd rather get my local farmer to do it! I could get a self propelled, $300 mower for the area around the house and around the trees in front of the house. There is always the high school kid in need of some $$$ for a 3 hr ride on the GT.

How much should a decent used cut w/a finish mower go for?

you could also check out some of the good import tractors available for good prices. check out Homier.com for the Farmpro brands. may be slightly more than you mentioned but will do so much more.

If your going to spend that kind of money look at lots of alternatives. And of course post some pics of what you end up with. :fing32:

Andy

USN_ED
11-22-2005, 09:13 AM

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that you have to clear your back 5-acres because the county is telling you to? Further, are you complaining about the deer? What part of the country do you live in?

USN_ED
11-23-2005, 10:35 AM
hovdeo -

Are ya still there?

lb59
01-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Take a look at a Cub Cadet 2554.Same number as the Husqvarna 2554 but more tractor.Price $4000.00 it has a 54'' deck with front swivel casters.It is a shaft drive tractor.Has a cast iron transaxel housing.It is built heavy duty and alot of tractor for the money.
For $1050 more I got These with the CC GT2554.
Front BLADE
Rear Tiller
AG tires
Suit Case Weights.

lb59
01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
The Husqvarna is a more capable tractor. It's a GT frame, meaning it's stronger and can handle more attachments. I'm not sure what you plan on using the tractor for though. The 2554 is capable of handling snow throwers, snow plow, Johnny Bucket Jr., 3-pt hitch, and many more. The 1050 is an LT with a large mower deck. It's more comparable to a Husqvarna YTH2248. If you just plan on mowing, a CC 1050 is a decent tractor. Just make sure that's all you ever plan on doing. 5 acres is a lot of grass to mow with a GT or an LT.

It's suprising how long it takes to mow our 2.33 Acres with a BX23 and The CC GT2554.
This is with us cutting a 9.5 foot wide swath using both tractors.

lb59
01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
The Husqvarna is a GT and the Cub is an LT, so they don't compare well as far as capabilities. The GT would probably drag the LT around because of it's stronger heavier build, and the LT probably has a much tighter turning radius for mowing. Although still an LT, the Cub Cadet SLT1554 offers a 54" mower on a better frame than the Cub 1050 for about the same money as the Husqvarna you are looking at.

The op needs to decide if he wants/needs a lawn or a garden TRACTOR.
In any event you have to compare lawn tractor with lawn tractor and garden tractor against garden tractor.

Ya can't cross compare them and make any sense out of the comparison .

johndeere
01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I have said before and I will say it again.Two is better then one any day.If you have a second operator perhaps your wife or older kids.You just can not beat two lower cost lawn tractors to one larger GT as long as your just basically mowing grass.I would not trade my two for a GT or a Z turn.

Argee
01-26-2007, 06:35 PM
hovdeo -

Are ya still there?
Ed,
hovdeo hasn't been on the site since Nov 2005.