Garage attic do i need a vent or can i use a window [Archive] - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

: Garage attic do i need a vent or can i use a window

simple_john
04-20-2005, 09:57 AM
stupid question (aren't they all) but since i put a ceiling and attic floor in my garage.. the attic space is really hot - its not even summer and its pushing 90 up there..

im assuming its because i have the floor and no air flow..

so i was going to put a vent on each side.. but was thinking windows would be much nicer for light and stuff... i could also keep them open in the summer for air flow...

if i put windows and keep them open most of the year (except winter) will that suffice? or would i still need vents to promote air flow year round??

Argee
04-20-2005, 10:16 AM
In as much as your not heating it, windows would serve the same purpose as gable vents. Is there a ridge vent on the roof?

simple_john
04-20-2005, 11:55 AM
no ridge vent on the roof...

is that bad?

chipmaker
04-20-2005, 12:06 PM
No ridge vent is not really a problem...and while it could be added it probably would be pricey to do after the fact of having a completed rood....attics in houses need lots of venting to eliminate moisture buildup form washing clothes, cooking, bathing etc. Vents normally don't let water in like a window does, but windows would serve dual puposes in your case. It would add light to your area above the garage and if you have them spaced apart at opposite ends, you would get a crossflow of ventilation. Two windows opposite each other work better than a single window would. Your just interested in allowing builtup heat to escape, and they would work fine..Just remember to close em when it rains.....

simple_john
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
thanks chip.. yup im gonna put one on each end so that should cross ventilate...

thanks again..

sj

CatDaddy
04-20-2005, 12:46 PM
You might want to consider installing double-hung windows. That way you can open the upper panes just as much as needed to vent the hot air that collects at the ridgeline.

jim235
04-20-2005, 03:37 PM
I'd go with the double hung type windows as well. I've found them to give more options on breezes. As well, leaving the top section partially open...you get the air flow but usually no rain in...if/when you 'forget' to close them!
Regards...Jim

simple_john
04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
thanks good points about the double hung... i had been quoted 88$ for single hungs stanleys.. nothing too fancy but good enough for the garage... but i see the ide of double hungs being left open and no rain...

gotta see about cost...

thanks again.

Durwood
04-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Do you have roof vents if not the ridge vent? From my experience you are gonna have to have some kind of vents other than just windows. Windows will certainly help but they are not enough. You need a way to let all that hot air trapped in under the plywood and shingles out. If you are able to walk on the roof than just cut in about 6 roof vents across it. I would put in at least 6 but probably 8 myself. Just stay down about 2 foot or so across the back side of the roof and space them evenly across the roof. Another option is one big power fan cut in the roof. You can set it to come on by thermostat when it gets so hot. Those things really work and move quite a bit of air. I would still want windows also.

Durwood

spook291
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
SJ:

John, just gotta add to this thread. Ridge vents - ifn you gottem get rid of em, ifn you don't gottem, leave it that way.

I had to remove the ridge vent from my house. For a system that is supposed to provide good air movement in conjunction with adequate soffit venting and prevent rain and snow infiltration - oh by the way - recommended by CMHC here in Canada, it is the worst thing I have ever put on my house and my SHOP!

House - snow blew in every winter until I finished the upstairs. We were assured that it would no longer happen. BS... I have had to replace the ceiling in my storage room and repair the ceiling in my daughter's bedroom.

We had the house re-roofed 3 years ago. Had the contractors rip off the ridge vent. Replaced it with a new product called Cobra vent. Does the same deal as the traditional aluminum ridge vent BUT actually prevents infiltration of unwanted snow and rain.

In the shop.. well I am going to have to replace all the ceilings. Snow and rain -- got worse this year while I was in hospital with the open heart surgery. Gotta get the roof redone this year I hope... somehow gotta find the money to build the extension to house my tractors and redo the roof.

Count on it.. ridge vent is gone, Cobra vent is going on the roof!

As far as windows - good idea. Provides light and controlable venting as well. One other option you might want to check into is a Ven-Mar unit. Not sure what it is called in the states, but my father-in-law has it set up on his house - passive system - wind, even the slightest breeze will rotate the vanes and draw air out of the attic. Course you have to have some type of venting to allow air in for the Ven-Mar to work properly.

Will try and find a link for this type of system on the net ifn I gets me a moment.

CatDaddy
04-20-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't know if you are much affected by hurricanes, but...

When Hurricane Lili came through here a couple of years back, I know a bunch of people that suffered water damage because of their ridge vent. Not from problems related to the storm ripping up the roof, but the rain got driven in through the vent!

We have the standard turbines & they work really well at ventilating our attic. No leaks either! I did have to put in some extra soffit vents because our attached carport somehow altered the airflow.

-=A=-

Argee
04-20-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't know if you are much affected by hurricanes, but...

I've heard of them I think...are they like a himmicane ROF

Ingersoll444
04-21-2005, 06:40 AM
Argee,

Kinda but the hurricanes are much better becouse when they..........oh never mind :D

Fusion1970
05-14-2005, 04:44 AM
Just an idea- My garage was built onto the house after the hose was built. There is a hole for a vent on the wall between the house and garage, and there is a vent on the left side of the garage which faces the East.

During the winter months, I cover them both with 3/4" plywood to keep the cold air out, and the warm air in. Im sure it helps in propane costs as well. In fact, Im glad I seen this post, as I still need to get up there and remove them. Your situation I think is a bit different, but i'd think it would have the same results.

Greg